All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
vanilla extract and alcohal?
      #179400 - 05/16/05 02:37 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i just noticed in my vanilla extract that it contains *organic alcohal---is this *in any way* a trigger?? i dont drink any alcohal so i dont know of anything it may cause--my vanilla extract is organic so i dont know how bad the alcohal could be but if it poses a threat, its history!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: vanilla extract and alcohal? new
      #179476 - 05/16/05 08:31 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hmmm. Seems like it would be such a tiny amount - do you think it would make a difference? Are you sensitive to small things like that?

#179484 - 05/16/05 09:03 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Also, even regular wine and stuff is safe to cook with. Heather has it in her recipes in the book even. So, I would guess that if you are adding it to cakes or muffins or cookies or whatever, I bet that it is fine.

But, if you are sensitive to a miniscule amount (and boy, it would be tiny!), maybe just don't use it to flavor uncooked things, like drinks and cold puddings and such. But I bet most things you generally use vanilla for would be baked anyways...

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

well--- new
      #179488 - 05/16/05 10:12 PM
little bear

---i was actually using it in my smoothies b/c i didnt want to add sugar or a sweetener b/c the sugar-amount was too high. buuuut i guess theres just the same amount in the extract too right?? lol! [/color

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179489 - 05/16/05 10:13 PM
little bear

it depends i guess---ive been eating so many triggers recently that its kind of hard to tell where the pain comes from..food-wise

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: well--- new
      #179496 - 05/16/05 10:55 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here...
(Granted...it's getting pretty late...I may just be missing it! LOL).

But, if you are worried about the sugar content of vanilla extract, I think its negligable. (Don't quote me on that though...). Or, if you are worried about having too much sugar, have no fear, because pure sugar is just about as safe as you can be, IBS-wise. Most other sweeteners (artifical) are risky though, at least wait until you are *very very* stable to try them. Most find that it's best to avoid all together. What kind of smoothie are you making? If it's fruity, you might find that it tastes just as good (or better!) without the sweetener.

If none of that has any to do with what you were talking about, just let me know, and I'll post back in the morning, when thing are a little clearer.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: well--- new
      #179500 - 05/17/05 12:13 AM
little bear

hehe no it *was* about the sugar kind of---and about the vanilla extract ive been making fruit-smoothies [organic peaches and strawberries w/organic FF vanilla soy] and adding in a teeny teeny bit of organic vanilla extract. i checked the ingredients today and saw that it had *organic alcohal* i remembered seeing alcohal as a trigger and was curious if this would cause the same problems as regular alcohal does. i dont drink at all [except a sip of vegan/organic wine but that is really rare!] thanks for the info about the sugar though! i wasnt really thinking about the sugar amount in the extract but now that you mention it, im glad i know about it i was using the extract as a sweetener b/c i didnt want to use my sugar [organic cane sugar] OR my agave [honey-sub] b/c they have high sugar amounts. this makes it really yummy!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

liquid vanilla by its very nature is alcohol... new
      #179504 - 05/17/05 04:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

which cooks off.. but vanilla sugar isn't and is a great substitute... I use it when I don't want to add the liquid to a recipe, or when I won't be cooking it to remove the alcohol.... any extract wil be alcohol based because they use alcohol to extract the flavors!

Vanilla sugar is wonderful though!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

alcohol-free vanilla extract new
      #179530 - 05/17/05 06:36 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

I've seen alcohol-free vanilla extract at the HFS. It's extracted with glycerin instead of alcohol. I've never tried it myself, but it might be something to consider if you're concerned about small amounts of alcohol.

Littlebear, new
      #179535 - 05/17/05 06:53 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

have you tried Stevia? isn't that an herb sweetener and contains no sugar? I never tried it myself actually...

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 780 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review