Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
some updates--a little long, sorry!
      #178919 - 05/13/05 10:08 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey everyone--

sorry i have not been posting as much ive been really busy but had some things i wanted to update super-fast! i finally got to discuss my IBS with some DRs in depth so at least its been made relevant to them but i was too surprised with their reactions--i talked first w/my OB/GYN b/c that felt more comfortable since i needed to bring up eating issues and before she heard enough, she asked "who i was seeing for my depression" and recommended i "get help for my apparent eating disorder". my 2nd DR, who is a man, didnt really seem to grasp what i had said. last i checked, a MAJOR change in BMs, as in non-existant for a little more then a week--was a big deal. but he listened as though i was talking about plantars warts!! i brought all my IBS info and really laid down my stuff letting him know i knew what was going on but was in desperate need of another road or treatment. still he seemed spacey but gave me some miralax to try. i was more then *crushed* though by what my lady-doc said b/c im not suffering from any kind of depression--and certainly nothing that requires psychological help. my diet is very strict, to maintain my IBS AND my vegan principles. i just had hoped she, as a doctor AND a girl would understand. this is just why i never want to bring up my ibs--or try to fix it in front of people--b/c its too easy to define my coping ways as disordered eating. she kept insisting that i was sick and gaunt and all that but she's obviously just wrong! has anyone else ever felt manipulated by a doctor? and then felt ultra-crumby afterwards?? someone mourn with me--b/c i feel like poo *hehe*

>>ALSO i was able to find those fiber bars--i think i mentioned them in a reply? theres a company called renew life that just came out with these organic/vegan/kosher/dairy free/gluten free/GMO free/EVERYTHING free fiber bars that have more then 50% of your DRA of fiber!!! i got them from this homeopathic store so you *may* need to hunt for them but theyre out there--and really good! 150-170 cals per bar and only 5 grams of fat! MAYBE thats alot but for a fiber bar with all that---its pretty damn good and im givin in search for them!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I am sorry to hear this... new
      #178960 - 05/14/05 08:25 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I can't believe they would do that to you at all! jeez! talk about insane.. I am so sorry they blew you off, but not everyone is like this and work with them to find the best solution or find ANOTHER doc!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: You were put on "ignore" new
      #178963 - 05/14/05 08:38 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Seriously, is it possible to get another MD? Nutritional counselling? You are so young, little bear!!! Don't let them blow you off. It's challenging to be assertive, sometimes. Sometimes, I just put on "my assertive" shoes (yes, literally special shoes) for when I have to be assertive with "PEOPLE."
It's a trick I learned in Drama class in University.

LOL new
      #178966 - 05/14/05 08:51 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Not that little bear was "ignored", just liked how you labeled it!

I have a doc who is the same as Little Bears and I have an appointment coming up next Thursday. I will need to remember to try and be assertive. Can I borrow your shoes?

That is very frustrating! new
      #178967 - 05/14/05 08:55 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Little Bear,
Im sorry to hear of all that happened at the doctor's. I dont blame you for feeling invalidated and frustrated. Honestly, you know your body and you know if things are "not right." Sometimes doctors tend to categorize people as an "easy fix," and they are not paying attention to what is being told of them! Don't feel frustrated and trust yourself and your own body-you know what you are feeling and what is right for YOU!

I hope you have a good day today. Sorry to hear about that!!!

Take care,
KRisten

Re: I am sorry to hear this... new
      #179020 - 05/14/05 02:51 PM
little bear

i know right?!!! i couldnt believe my ears then!! i think im gonna search out a naturepath or an herbalist--and just go about this thru homeopathic ways b/c ive *had* it with modern meds! hehe

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179021 - 05/14/05 02:53 PM
little bear

really?? i was told when i was in highschool to learn to be assertive--to help deal with friend and highschool drama---but i was only good at it thru letters and writing, never face-to-face what is your method??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: LOL new
      #179022 - 05/14/05 02:55 PM
little bear

hehe go in there with *all* the info you know! i shocked the socks off my doc with all my knowledge he didnt even know what acacia was!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: That is very frustrating! new
      #179023 - 05/14/05 03:00 PM
little bear

kristen--
aw thanks! that was sweet ive always felt judged in that way partially b/c im still only a kid--i look really young so i end up getting hassled alot when i try to take on adult-type situations. but seriously! im not gonna go thru all the trouble to make appts and waste my time and the docs, if im only pulling his leg! you know on all the commercials and labels that say to warn your doctor of changes in your bowel movements?? im coming to learn that is only a statement approved by the FDA to steal our tax dollars!!! im hoping for an easier solution--thanks for your reply

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179040 - 05/14/05 04:59 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

All through high school I let my mother be assertive for me. Seriously. To be assertive, to even ask questions, to get my needs/wants/demands met was my biggest challenge. I learned a trick in University drama class re: how to be assertive. It's a sort of "red shoe" exercise/technique. You know how Dorothy felt when she put on those red shoes in "The Wizard of Oz?" You know how certain shoes make you feel sexy? Sporty? Okay, so I started drawing/conjuring strength and attributes of character from shoes--roots/earth energy, etc. You physically change "levels." I guess you could think of it as "grounding." I love wearing boots some days (use your imagination).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 575 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review