All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Imodium? new
      #17993 - 08/21/03 11:16 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I'm not saying not to use Immodium, I have been there and it's a godsend. But for maintenance on a daily basis, the calcium works wonders.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#17994 - 08/21/03 11:22 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

This same thing just happened to me! I never used Immodium for the same reason you stated. But I just started a long commuting thing two days a week. On my first day of commuting, I was hit with an attack of D about halfway there. Had to stop, but then I went ahead and took some Immodium. Felt much better the rest of the day, but have had C ever since (diet has made no difference). The C made the second day of commuting easier, but I don't like these extremes.

I don't think it's good for day to day maintenance, but it definitely works in the short term if you're traveling. I'm interested to know if anyone has methods of getting things going again once you take the Immodium.

#18042 - 08/21/03 02:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I forgot to mention that I never take a full dose - I take only 1 instead of 2.

#18043 - 08/21/03 02:44 PM
*Melissa*

I use the calcium plus D (caltrate) every day also. I used to take 2 per day (1 in am, 1 in pm), but now I only take 1.

#18046 - 08/21/03 02:52 PM
Karin

Mags, I started out with 1/2 a day, but have increased it to 2 a day, each with a meal. It has made an unbelievable difference when combined with Heather's diet. I haven't taken an Immodium in a month and have been vacationing a lot. The diet's still first though in importance, if I eat a trigger food, the calcium does nothing for me.

#18047 - 08/21/03 03:04 PM
*Melissa*

I think at one point I had been taking 2 1/2 - 3 a day or so. I discovered them long before Heather's diet. But, when I started following Heather's diet, that controlled things enough that I was able to drop down to 1. Thank God!

I can't remember the last time I've taken Imodium. But, I always have them there - just in case! LOL Sometimes just knowing they're there makes me feel better!

#18126 - 08/22/03 06:36 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Thanks all! You have all helped me quite a bit. I'm going to look into the Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Plus D for maintenance. Is there a brand name anyone recommends?

The dosage I took of the Imodium may have been my problem I think after reading everyone's suggestions. I took the 2 recommended, then took 1 more after the next BM as recommended, but I was having diarrhea every 10 minutes so obviously the first two hadn't had a chance to work yet and I shouldn't have taken the third. That was my mistake. It was nice to know it worked, however, and our trip wasn't ruined, and now I can carry it with me in case I need it. But I'll take a smaller dosage!

#18141 - 08/22/03 08:45 AM
Karin

I just purchase the generic brand, it's comparable to Caltrate 600-D. Make sure it's the caltrate ingredient and not the citrate, the citrate has too much magnesium in it from what I've heard. I purchased mine at Long's Drugs, their own brand. Be prepared, they're huge.

#18148 - 08/22/03 09:41 AM
*Melissa*

I used to get Caltrate 600-D, but I started getting the generic form of it at Sams, which is MUCH cheaper. A humungous bottle is only like $7 or $8.

#18224 - 08/22/03 04:45 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Would Viactiv calcium chewables work? I have those and they have calcium carbonate 500 mg. with Vitamin D and K, and no magnesium. I take those occasionally and have quite a few. If they work to help constipate I will start taking one or two every day. Do you know if Viactiv works the same way as Caltrate 600-D (brand or generic)?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review