All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Spinich
      #178847 - 05/13/05 02:21 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I just re-read one of my old questions about IF...so of course now I have another question.

Casey mentioned spinich. I used to like raw spinich, but not cooked (unless it was in lasagne or something like that). Is raw spinich okay? I've been pretty stable for close to a month now (touch wood), but if it's a raw veggie (carrots and mushrooms and tomatoes excepted), I'm still pretty leary of it. So, raw spinich, is it okay or do I need to cook it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spinich new
      #178886 - 05/13/05 05:16 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

AFAIK, cooked would be better (aka safer). But if you're stable maybe try a small amount at the end a good SF meal and see how it goes. If you want to risk it, that is . We do need to try to get some IF in our diet, so I'd probably try it if I were you.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

cooking spinach new
      #178892 - 05/13/05 06:38 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try cooking spinach really lightly and it will still taste good. You can put it in a colander when you are ready to drain pasta and pour the pasta on it or you can mix it into a pot of hot rice and sit for a couple minutes. Or just throw it in a pot with ginger, garlic, salt and some pepper flakes and cook until barely wilted. See if this is edible for you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Spinich new
      #178947 - 05/14/05 07:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Personally, I've found it easier to tolerate than lettuce so sometimes use it as a salad filling. However, I usually have it as part of a pasta sauce or risotto.

I can handle some raw spinach... new
      #178954 - 05/14/05 07:57 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

not a salad worth or anything, if I am ging to eat a lot I cook it, but a small amount on a sandwich is fine, so I do that a lot, its the replacement for "lettuce" in sandwiches in my house and always was anyway...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I can handle some raw spinach... new
      #178955 - 05/14/05 08:04 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

SpinAch. I knew it looked funny with the second "i."

I'll pick some up at the store soon, experiment, and report back. Thanks, ladies.

Re: Spinach new
      #178965 - 05/14/05 08:42 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I find it goes down pretty easily cooked if I'm in the mood for a whack of it. It's one of those veggies/greens that really personally agree with me. And it cooks REALLY
fast. I confess, I consume it just about every day. I just wilt and wizz, i.e. food process. With sf it personally works for me really well.

Re: cooking spinach new
      #178987 - 05/14/05 10:08 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Thanks minnie. i was going to ask about recipes. Spinach is SOOO good for us and I should eat more of it. Do you do this with frozen or fresh spinach?

Re: cooking spinach new
      #179036 - 05/14/05 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

I use both from time to time. Making fresh baby spinach the way I mentioned in rice or pasta is easy but frozen thawed spinach can be nice for other things too. Spinach is good on pizza as well. Try this one.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Litttle Minnie new
      #179087 - 05/15/05 09:07 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Are you saying that the hot rice or pasta over the raw spinach will be enough to cook the spinach? Or do you cook the raw spinach ahead of time? How do you cook raw spinach anyhow?

I usually just use frozen spinach, but would like to try some fresh spinach too. Just not sure how you cook it this way.

Thanks, as always.

cooking spinach new
      #179171 - 05/15/05 04:22 PM
Little Minnie

I use a bag of baby spinach. Sometimes I run a knife through it a little to chop because I find it easier to eat and serve that way. Otherwise yes all you have to do is put it in a pot with hot rice for a few minutes and stir or put it with draining pasta and stir. If you cook it alone put it in a pasta size pot with cooking spray, season it well, put on low heat with the cover on and cook until just wilted- maybe 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Then use a slotted spoon to serve it so the water stays in the pot. There won't be much water.
Also nutmeg is the classic spinach spice but I also like garlic, ginger, mint or thai basil and a hot pepper along with a generous pinch of salt sometimes instead.

--------------------

Re: Spinach new
      #179206 - 05/15/05 09:09 PM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

I love salads, but most regular lettuces set me off.. I find that BABY spinach is very agreeable as a salad base for me,, (as is Butter Lettuce) They seem to be easier to digest for me...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review