All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and surgery
      #17868 - 08/20/03 02:09 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm so glad I learned what I did about my IBS before going into surgery last week. For those who may not know, I had a hysterectomy - there's a long story there, but that's not at all the point of my post here.

My point is this - I'm so glad I learned what I have from Heather's book and you all here. Surgery is full of surprises! First of all, to do the laparascopic exploratory part of the surgery, they had to pump my abdomen full of GAS. That's been fun to get rid of, ick. Thank God for fennel tea and Phazyme. Also, they came in first thing the morning after surgery with Senokot for me to take. I said no! I said if they'd just leave me alone I promised I'd get myself going without cramping up on Senokot. They left me alone and let me do it myself. The next morning at home I had a BM, after my aloe vera juice, oatmeal w/ ground flax seed and raisins, and some hot herbal teas (none laxative, just calming and got things going). Also had to get up and get moving a little first. Oh, I was also dreadfully sick from the anesthesea and the morphine they gave me post-op. Kept me throwing up and nauseous for a good 12 hours following surgery. I told them I had to have some saltines or something solid on my stomach before I'd feel any better, they refused, said I could not have solid food until my bowels starting moving (i.e. passing gas! they asked me constantly whether or not I was passing gas!) I convinced them that my bowels would not move, and I would not stop feel nauseous, until things began to regulate, which meant allowing me a few saltines in my stomach. They gave me one pack, later Eric went down and smuggled me another pack, and brought me some ginger tea - within a couple hours I was feeling much better.

I'm just overall so glad that I came out of it all without the use of laxatives, without the dreadful constipation everyone told me I'd have (part of that is because I refused the strong pain meds, don't really need them and would rather hurt some that get so constipated and nauseous). Information is SO empowering!

Hope to be back regularly soon, still recovering at home and times up at the PC are brief.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and surgery new
      #17878 - 08/20/03 04:38 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Michelle!

SO good to hear from you! Glad you were able to get things going so soon post-op! The trapped gas is awful, isn't it? Thank goodness someone had clued me in to expect that before my gallbladder surgery a few years ago - or I would have been calling 911! My hysterectomy experience in June was really great - but I was much more informed - and, I knew for sure I had IBS - so I packed an "emergency food kit" of applesauce and animal crackers! One of the nurses found it and nearly took it away from me but I pleaded with her!

I had good bowel sounds the day after surg, so they let me go home based on that - 2nd day after surg. Then, the day after I got home, I was constipated for about half a day - but I had expected that so I relaxed, took frequent little walks and drank lots of water. I, too, took as little pain medication as possible - actually only had one Motrin in the hospital - they had given me an epidural before surgery to deliver the narcotics so I really didn't need a thing! The absence of pain allowed me to walk right away and I think that probably helped a lot with keeping my bowels functioning.

I'm glad you're resting and letting others help out. I'm convinced that by following my doctor's orders post-op about R & R (he actually told me to "chill" for a couple of weeks! too funny coming from an elegant surgeon!), I recovered well. Glad you're taking the same path!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#17882 - 08/20/03 05:03 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Michelle, so glad all went well and that you're safely home. Rest a lot and take it easy. I was praying for you.

#17889 - 08/20/03 05:27 PM
dlt647

Reged: 06/10/03
Loc: West Chester, PA

So glad to hear you are doing well. I just had surgery on Monday to remove half of my thyroid (if the tests come back showing I have thyroid cancer, I have to go back in within the next couple weeks to have the entire thyroid removed - yuck). The last time I have had a BM was Sunday and still no signs of relief. I was expecting this because every time I have had surgery, I have the same problem. I have been continuing to take my Zelnorm along with stool softener and citrucel. Hopefully things will improve in the next day or so. I had surgery in January and went 6 days without a BM! I was hoping that since I have changed my diet so much and was taking Zelnorm that this time would be easier, but unfortunately I'm still having the same problem.

Good luck to you and hope you are feeling better soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 958 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 579

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review