All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help... IBS-D, but now IBS-C with SEVERE pain
      #178614 - 05/12/05 05:45 PM
Carolyn28

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Southern California

Hi everyone. I have not been on here for a while, because I have been doing really well. However, last Sunday night I had a horrible D attack with pain, that caused me to have to take a vicodin and three Immodium's to control. Well, I did not have a bowel movement all week until this morning. (Thursday) It woke me up from my sleep at 5:30 am, with SEVERE cramping and pain, and constipation. I managed to have a small BM, and went back to bed. 15 minutes later I was running to the bathroom with severe D??!!! I had both in a matter of 15 minutes ?
So now, I am feeling very uneasy, confused and scared. I dont know which one I will have next, or what I should eat, for fear of another bout.
I do not take any SFS, I was always scared it would aggrevate my D.
Any help would be great, I am just terrified of the pain. I dont want to have to take another vicodin, because that aggrevates the Constipation.
thank you!!!

--------------------
Suffer from IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help... IBS-D, but now IBS-C with SEVERE pain new
      #178701 - 05/13/05 06:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You should not be afraid to take a SFS. It does NOT aggravate diarrhea. That is a myth, dearest. Try drinking lots of hot peppermint tea throughout the day. This will help relax the colon and stop the spasms and cramping. Go easy on your tummy for a couple days. Lots of soluble fibre foods, and carefully incorporate the insolubles back in.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#178728 - 05/13/05 07:05 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I made the mistake of not taking SFS at first too, since I wa sD, and became C. now I realize that I ahve always been C also (making me an A), but didn't realize til I got the D under control.
Anyways, to my point, even if you are D, you should try to take a SFS because it is important to make sure you go everyday, or a couple of times a day, or every other (whatever is better for you), because not going can cause D. The SFS or an herbal tea in the morning should help you go at first, than when you stabilize you should add in insoloubles. From my experience, if I do not 'go' for awhile, when it does come out it is D from waiting so long. going regularly stops it from coming out as D.
All of that aside, it will probably take you AWHILE to have a normal BM, even if you are going regularly. it took me close to a year, but hey, if I am going once instead of five - twenty times, that is fine by me!

--------------------
-Sheri

#178798 - 05/13/05 11:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SFS do not aggravate D at all and if you're at all A (you obviously are - I was just like you) then they're even more important. Quite a few of us D-tending A's have found Acacia to be most effective btw.

Right now, get loads of SF, peppermint or chamomile tea, heat pads and Tylenol (regular not plus).

acacia for Aers... new
      #178836 - 05/13/05 12:38 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Linz is right on this, as far as I have found acacia seems the most 'gentle' to not give me D or too frequent bowel movements.

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1916 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review