All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Carrengeenan/Irish Moss
      #178549 - 05/12/05 12:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Does anyone else have an IBS attack with anything containing carrengeenan/irish moss? I personally do, and I don't know why this is. Am I the only one?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

carrageenan is closely related to MSG... new
      #178553 - 05/12/05 01:04 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

do a board search as this topic has come up before... I for one can't have it- it triggers both IBS and migraines for me!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Carrengeenan/Irish Moss new
      #178574 - 05/12/05 03:45 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Yeah, it's a preservative, and I know it's a problem for lots of people. It also tends to be in alot of stuff that's low carb and that's generally a bad category. ON the to-be-avoided list!!

Re: carrageenan is closely related to MSG... new
      #178620 - 05/12/05 06:12 PM
Wind

Thanks. I now have a deeper, more informed understanding re: carrageenan as a personal trigger. That stuff is used as an emulsifier/thickening agent in SO MUCH stuff. It all boils down to the "gum" of the matter and m.s.g.

Wind new
      #178633 - 05/12/05 06:33 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I know you eat kombu and seaweeds and think this helps you. Well, isn't carrageenan just another form of seaweed? I'm sort of confused now. How is carrageenan bad and kombu or dulse good when they are both seaweed? I bought some kombu like you said you eat and now I'm not sure if it is safe to eat. Or if dulse is safe.

BTW, I found this article on carageenan and tummy problems. carrageenan

Re: Wind new
      #178775 - 05/13/05 09:51 AM
Wind

Seaweeds and algaes are have naturally occurring glutamic acid. The body converts all foods containing protein into glutamic acid. Kombu doesn't bother me. Heck...it's natural glutamic acid and I like glutamic acid. If you're uncertain, than skip the kombu. Remember, I'm not a natural health practioner (YET?!!!. I don't seem to have a problem with seaweeds/algaes in their natural form...but when proteins get hydrologized, isolated, adulterated, that's when I do.

Would you also suggest... new
      #178778 - 05/13/05 10:04 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

skipping the dulse as well? Are kombu and dulse the same thing?

I saw your post about how it helps you have good BMs when I did a search. I would love to get the same results from te dulse, but the article I posted concerning carrageenan has me afraid to try it now.

BTW, are you a C, D, or an A?

It sounds like you are thinking about going into natural health. I think you would be very good!

Re: Would you also suggest... new
      #178831 - 05/13/05 12:21 PM
Wind

Firstly, as I have no medical degree, I would not suggest or recommend anything except based on my own personal experience.

I have IBS-D, in case you are wondering.

Kelp, algae, kombu, spirulina...these are the foods I eat. I have problems, though, I notice with guar gum and carageenan. I've never eaten raw Irish moss/carrageenan, though. Anything containing it puts my stomach "through the rinse cycle" and I always get nausea/headache/and sort of buzzed in the head from it. It literally feels like it's gumming up or sticking to my stomach lining.

Re: seaweeds and algaes that I eat most days. I just like the taste of them, plus they are of nutritional value/merit to me personally as well. I eat them in their natural, post harvest form. They don't give me a headache. And yes, I get a good "clean-out" clean-up from them. I think dulse has about 2 g of fiber per tbsp. Just so you know, I'm on a very HIGH SODIUM diet, too.

Have you ever had sushi, Cyndy? If you're okay with sushi, than kombu should sit okay with you. I guess that's the best guide I can offer you re: seaweed consumption in general, other than just test it and see how you respond and also run a search re: how others respond to seaweed.

D'oh new
      #179430 - 05/16/05 05:22 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

D'oh. I just bought some little packages of peaches in strawberry gel, which sounded very yummy. Well, I noticed they contained carrageenan, and the name rung a bell. Now I know why. Why the heck is some kind of moss in my peaches?? Grr. I guess I won't be eating them.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: D'oh new
      #179438 - 05/16/05 05:43 PM
Wind

That "moss" is in so many things!!! It's hard to find a brand of "notmilk" without it. So far, RiceDream is the only safe one. That stuff is like eating vaseline!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7691 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review