All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question on whole wheat
      #178238 - 05/11/05 09:25 AM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

Is it possible to be allergic to whole wheat and still be able to eat white bread? It seems everytime I eat anything whole wheat I get gas and D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question on whole wheat new
      #178243 - 05/11/05 09:35 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I cannot eat wheat at all because I have Celiac. However, whole wheat is very hard on most people who have IBS even if they are not gluten intolerant or Celiac.

You probably aren't allergic to wheat-but your system is having a difficult time with the whole wheat grain.

Heather's diet suggests white breads and non-whole wheat products to stabilize. I am not a whole lot of help in the wheat area-I eat a lot of rice and take soluble fiber supplements to stabilize. I am sure you will get some more ideas from others able to eat wheat on the board.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#178246 - 05/11/05 09:59 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Whole wheat flour still has the INsoluable fiber cover (can't think of the right word at the moment...) on it, and white wheat flour doesn't that cover, so the white is all SOLuable fiber. That's why the white bread is fine, but the whole wheat causes problems if you are still stablizing or can't handle that much IF.

HTH,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Same with brown/white rice new
      #178247 - 05/11/05 10:01 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

BTW-that's also the difference between brown and white rice. The brown rice still has that IF casing. (What IS that word!)

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Bran? Is that what it's called? That doesn't sound quite right. -nt- new
      #178309 - 05/11/05 12:16 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#178310 - 05/11/05 12:25 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Like Myra and Mary said, whole wheat is a classic IF problem for people with IBS. So what you have is not an allergy to whole wheat, it's - unfortunately - just the way it is for us IBSers. (You can see a list of IF foods here.)

White bread is usually all processed wheat with no whole wheat, so that's why it's safe for you. A lot of people with IBS can handle some whole wheat, provided it's well-wrapped and cushioned with SF, but some - like me - can't handle any.

I'd suggest you avoid whole wheat as much as possible unless it's well cushioned by SF. And if it gives you trouble even then, you'll just have to avoid it completely, at least until you've been stable for a while - and maybe permanently.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 661

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review