All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Calcium Intake for a 10 year old
      #178099 - 05/10/05 08:09 PM
maxiprice

Reged: 05/10/05

My daughter has been tested for lactose intolerance/allergies and the test was negative. However, she still gets symptoms from any foods containing significant dairy. I know she needs calcium to help alleviate her IBS symptoms. Can she take adult supplements? If not, any ideas for good children's supplements? Any help would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calcium Intake for a 10 year old new
      #178168 - 05/11/05 07:08 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Kids 9-18 yrs old should intake 800-1300 mg of calcium a day. You could try getting the calcium through other foods like soy or rice milk which has 300 mg per cup, Instant oatmeal has 100mg per cup, Broccoli cooked 35mg per 1/2 cup, calcium fortified Orange Juice 350mg per cup, or Sweet potatoes 44mg per 1/2 cup just to name a few. Try to buy snacks and foods that say "Rich in Calcium" , etc.

Also there is a "One A Day Kids Scooby Doo Calcium Chews" that look and taste like a tootsie roll. I looked up the ingredients though and they do contain some dried milk solids, so be careful that may bother your child?? Also calcium supplements that are Calcium Carbonate or Calcium Citrate are safe for kids, but avoid the others b/c they can contain lead, and other toxins that in small doses are fine for adults but not children.

Hope this helps,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Calcium Intake for a 10 year old new
      #178202 - 05/11/05 08:14 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Any green veggies are high in calcium. My kids love raw spinach (sp?, which is great source for calcium.

Becareful when drinking orange juice enriched with calcium. Don't rely on that as a major source for calcium, because the vitamin C prevents complete absorption of calcium.

calcium new
      #178435 - 05/12/05 05:51 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

Spinach has a lot of calcium, but the high oxalic acid levels prevent absorption of the calcium. Same with related greens such as beet green and chard. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Greens in the cabbage family, such as collards, kale, bok choi, and broccoli, are good calcium sources. Good luck getting your kid to eat them!

My 10-year-old has IBS too, and I was very worried about calcium. I found a liquid calcium supplement at the HFS by a company called Liquid Health. It disappears nicely into smoothies.

I've never heard that the calcium in fortified OJ was not absorbed well. Where did you get this info? I would like to check it out, because I rely on OJ for a lot of my own calcium intake. Thanks!

Whole Foods calcium chews! new
      #178478 - 05/12/05 08:24 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi-
Im not sure if you are near a Whole Foods market where you live, but they have some great, non-lactose, all-natural fruit "calcium" chews! I take them daily, and they are pretty tasty on top of being IBS-safe!

Hope this helps!

Re: calcium new
      #178537 - 05/12/05 12:16 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

From my Anatomy and physiology classes at school. I also asked the nurses where I work and they said the same thing.

Thanks for the info. on the greens - I didn't realize that. I depend on greens for my calcium intake too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1503

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review