All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
carrot juice
      #178054 - 05/10/05 04:29 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is 100% bottled carrot juice safe to drink? Carrots are soluble fiber, so would this be a safe drink to have without eating food beforehand?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: carrot juice, mango juice, or papaya juice.. new
      #178154 - 05/11/05 06:14 AM
Cyndy

Are any of these safe?

Re: carrot juice, mango juice, or papaya juice.. new
      #178157 - 05/11/05 06:19 AM
Canada25

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: canada

with IBS it's alays recomended to have a soluble with your juice. Pressed for time? Add acacia or your prebiotic right into your juice and your ready or preblend with cooked rice and keep in fridge. Heather reccomends cranberry in individual sizes. Don't forget to make sure it's only juice no add. or preservatives. Hope this helps

I can't handle SFS new
      #178158 - 05/11/05 06:27 AM
Cyndy

Carrots are soluble fiber, so I thought this would be safe alone. Anyone else have an opinion?

Re: carrot juice new
      #178249 - 05/11/05 10:06 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I drink ir very often and have never had any problems.

Re: I can't handle SFS new
      #178300 - 05/11/05 11:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Pardon the pun, but I think you're mixing apples and oranges here. I'll explain what I understand about it - if I'm wrong I know someone else will set me straight.

Most fruits are a problem for IBSers because they are IF (insoluble fiber). The exceptions - fruits which are SF (soluble fiber) - are bananas, papayas, and mangoes. Similarly, most vegetables are a problem for IBSers because they are also IF. There are some exceptions to this and carrots are one of them - they're SF.

Fruit juices are a problem for IBSers because of the fructose. You can get a lot of fructose down very quickly by drinking juice, whereas with the whole fruit you can't get as much fructose down as fast.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that vegetable juices have less fructose than fruit juices, so they would be more likely to be safe to drink.

If you're talking about juice - either fruit juice or vegetable juice - I don't think you have any fiber in it at all (or maybe very little if you don't strain out all the pulp).

Given all this, carrot juice might be safer than a fruit juice because - at least in theory - it should have less fructose (not because carrots are SF). I'd suggest trying carrot juice after a high SF meal and just a little to start. If you tolerate that, you can get a little more adventurous. (If I'm right in my logic so far, most vegetable juices should be safer than fruit juices because they'll be lower in fructose - and this should be true regardless of whether the vegetable is IF or SF.)

As for mango and papaya juice, I'd think these would be just as high in fructose as apple or orange, so the fact that these fruits are SF wouldn't make any difference. Their fiber is gone once you make them into juice, so it's irrelevant.

Whew! Do you write essay questions for exams in your spare time?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: carrot juice new
      #178359 - 05/11/05 05:10 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I juice my own carrots. Fresh carrot juice agrees with me. Nice natural sugar hit, too. Orange juice, though, KILLS me everytime.

The question though - is it safe on an empty tummy? new
      #178473 - 05/12/05 08:12 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I just wanted to bump it for you to get some with experience to answer the question about drinking it without food. I would play it safe and have food - because juicing it removes the fiber and as such would not make it safe on it's own - but that's just my opinion.

Thanks, yes that's what I wanted to know new
      #178477 - 05/12/05 08:23 AM
Cyndy

If it was safe to drink as a snack without food beforehand. I don't want to be eating all the time. I don't want all the calories! Plus, sometimes, like in summer, I just want to drink something and not have to eat.

But it sounds like I would have to eat before drinking the carrot juice? Or am I getting that wrong?

bump-nt new
      #178720 - 05/13/05 06:55 AM
Cyndy

Cyndy: Eat first, drink later. (m) new
      #178736 - 05/13/05 07:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The simple rule is: Nothing is safe to eat on an empty tummy except soluble fiber. The only soluble fiber items are the ones on this list. Carrot juice isn't there, so it isn't SF and therefore can't go down the hatch first. (I know carrots are on the list, but carrot juice isn't. Sort of like applesauce is on the list, so it's SF, but apples aren't, so they aren't SF.)

As far as I know, the only two exceptions to the "SF first" rule are water and herbal teas. Ice cold can be a shock, so if you don't want hot, try slightly chilled - like one ice cube to a large glass.

HanSolo posted a great quick and dirty little guide that sums up everything you need to know about deciding whether something is okay to eat and how to eat it.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sara Sage and Wind new
      #178752 - 05/13/05 08:27 AM
Cyndy

do you drink yours on an empty tummy?

Re: Sara Sage and Wind new
      #178774 - 05/13/05 09:44 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Sure. Beet juice, too. And celery juice. It's a great pick me up. Seriously, though...there's usually something in your tummy. It's not like I go out of my way and deliberate unless I've had an abreaction in the past. I don't "have my carrot juice and rice cakes or whatever necessarily in conjunction."
I don't eat my cereal with papaya or whatever. THIS IS ME, though. All I can say is test it and make a few notes. Just know that carrots are naturally high in sugars.

That's true, but... new
      #178796 - 05/13/05 11:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...some people (like me) have more of a problem with the acidity of the juice than the fructose content. So I'm better with mango juice, banana smoothies, etc b/c they are less acidic.

I totally agree - this is the safest route - nt. new
      #178837 - 05/13/05 12:50 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review