All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Emergency Room visit
      #177571 - 05/09/05 04:42 AM
3grands

Reged: 05/03/05

Well, I took myself to the ER on Saturday morning because I was afraid the pain was from appendicitis...turns out they did an xray and blood work and it looks like I'm C ...they gave me milk of magnesia (0ne dose) and a prescription laxative but nothing has worked totally yet and the pain has gone back to being as bad as it was....(they did tell me to come back if it wasn't gone in two days and they'd do a CAT scan.) I'm holding off because I know I'm still C. I just got my acacia in the mail but I don't know whether or not to start it until I'm cleaned out! Any suggestions? Up til now I've been fine for about 6 months, predominantly bloat and gas and D.
I'm really discouraged. I DO have stress in my in life. I'm the primary caretaker for my 91 year old mother who lives with us but she's basically not been a lot of work...it's just hard getting used to not going out when I want to!
I've been faithful to the IBS diet for the past week so I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggetions would be appreciated. Thanks. Judy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Emergency Room visit new
      #177592 - 05/09/05 07:35 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If you are usually D and no have C after starting this diet, chances are you cut out too much insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber isn't bad, your body needs it to be healthy. You just have to learn to eat it carefully, after a soulble fiber base. Try making a fruit smoothy or try some hummus on pita bread.

I would go ahead and start the Acacia. Just remember, it may give you a little extra gas at first while your body is adjusting but they will go away, just stick with it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Emergency Room visit new
      #177627 - 05/09/05 08:29 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

perhaps you should hold off a little with the acacia until you feel less C?? since youre taking the prescription lax and you had to take the milk/magnesia, adding the acacia might be too much, especially if your system is feeling that fragile. are you usually and IBS-C or and IBS-D? or an A?? that might change things around for you depending on the severety of the issue. maybe wait to ask your doc just to make sure you wont become more C!! that would be worse!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

I second Michele's advice on adding IF and starting the acacia. (more) new
      #177634 - 05/09/05 08:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Remember to start with a low dose of the acacia and work up slowly. I did 1/2 teaspoon a day for 3 days, then 1 teaspoon a day for 3 days, and so on.

The pain is a little worrying, although it may well be from the continuing C. You mention in your earlier posts talking to your doctor and/or nurse practitioner. Maybe you should call them again and see what they have to say since this has gone on for so long. If nothing else, they could give you some advice on whether you should do the CAT scan.

One other thought. In one of your earlier posts you mention getting Dicyclomine. One of the side effects I found listed for this drug is constipation, so you might talk to your doctor/nurse practitioner about that, too.

HTH. Feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review