All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peppermint + pregnancy
      #177463 - 05/08/05 02:17 PM
salmonloaf

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Does anyone know why peppermint is not recommended for pregnancy? I have found great results using enteric coated peppermint pills to quell my icky stomach feeling and cramps. Now I am trying to conceive and it has been recommended by my acupuncturist as well as I have read in several texts not to take peppermint during pregnancy. Peppermint has really helped me, and I have not yet found a replacement that is suitable. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peppermint + pregnancy new
      #177467 - 05/08/05 02:51 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Well that sucks. Wonder why peppermint would not be good during pregnancy - it's natural. I've heard of some people using ginger for their stomachs.

#177607 - 05/09/05 08:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Peppermint is a smooth muscle relaxer and can cause the muscles of your uterus to relax and can cause a miscarriage. I've not ever really seen this well documented but I was told not to take it while pregnant also! I doubt that an occasional cup of peppermint tea now and than would hurt anything but since I've already suffered three miscarraiges, I'm not willing to chance it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#177686 - 05/09/05 11:49 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I drank peppermint tea through both of my pregnancies. I never came across any information saying it was harmful to the fetus.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#177692 - 05/09/05 11:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't believe peppermint is actually harmful to the fetus as in it causes defects or anything. I think its more of a case that it can cause miscarriages due to the smooth muscle relaxing effects it has. I'd have to believe that you would need a LOT of peppermint for this to be an issue. I'm not sure if this has ever been medically proven or not but someone mentioned this to me from this sight, maybe StephS and I asked the RE about it and she said it was a good idea to avoid it. Not sure if thats because I've already had three miscarriages and I'm considered high risk or just what exactly.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#177748 - 05/09/05 01:59 PM
mom4

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: central michigan

I have a lot of experience with smooth muscle relaxers and pregnancy. I have been pregnant 9 times and have 4 kids, all were preemies. It probably wouldn't be good to take or drink a ton of peppermint in the first trimester but they use smooth muscle relaxers to stop preterm labor, trust me I've been on many. So, the best advice talk to your family and/or ob when you find yourself pregnant, they will know and they are your best source. Good luck.

#179952 - 05/18/05 06:01 PM
salmonloaf

Thanks Mom4 I appreciate the info. about smooth muscle relaxants. Cramping and gas are my worst symptoms. I just saw my family doc about 2 weeks ago. Maybe I will go back. I did not know peppermint was contraindicated at the time for pregnancy and was taking at the time. Not pregnant yet but trying. Need to find something else beside peppermint that works in the mean time.

#179953 - 05/18/05 06:06 PM
salmonloaf

Thank you everyone for info on pepermint+pregnancy. My asccupuncturist said tea would not hurt much but the gel caps I was taking would not be a good idea. I guess it makes sense about the possibility of misscarrying.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4657 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review