All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
another hint new
      #177356 - 05/07/05 07:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Not telling people exactly what they can and can't eat is a big irritation for new people- who rightly would rather have others tell them what's ok than try to experiment with everything. But the reason people don't like to do this is that they could say "oh I eat this just fine all the time" and then it makes the new person (who's tummy is more sensitive) really ill and the other person would feel pretty bad. So most posters just try to give the safest advice so that at least they don't make the newbie worse. And things are so individual too. Like with bananas- some love em some hate em. Personally I never puree my veggies and I sometimes eat raw veggies. Lettuce on sandwiches sometimes bothers me. I do eat broccoli and cauliflower and asparagus etc, but I wouldn't want to recommend that. I can say that whirled or pureed peas, green beans and very cooked spinach seem to be the easiest insoluble veggies to tolerate. Soluble veggies of course are a great place to start and build on. Root veggies are so easily tolerated, cooked well. From there you have to experiment for yourself. Maybe the insoluble part of the diet won't be so touchy with you (like me- it is fat that bothers me most.) But we can't predict what won't bother you. I hope the advice helps!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Blender Question new
      #177371 - 05/07/05 10:37 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I've been trying to be more creative with my pureeing, as its working well for me, and I was previously really missing my veggies.

I do have one question. When I puree things, I've only been making up small quantities of things (like half a yellow squash with a couple baby carrots, etc), and when I try to get it out of the blender, all of the food is underneath the blades. The only way to get it out is to take the blender apart (like you would to clean it), but I've twice now dropped the food out onto the counter or the floor. Do you have a way to get your food out that eliminates that problem? Or would a food processor be different and eliminate that problem?

Maybe I should just get that old "Splat Mat" out from when I was a kid...

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: Blender Question new
      #177387 - 05/08/05 01:42 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

You can buy food processors that are small, usually marketed for preparing baby food! They would be good for anyone making one-size portions a lot of the time. Or some standard size food processors come with a small bowl as an extra, it is intended for chopping herbs and other things in small quantities. I have the same problem and it is one of the reasons I don't puree things as much as I ought to, so I'm thinking about buying one of the small ones.

Josephine

Isn't she wonderful? :) -nt- new
      #177403 - 05/08/05 06:55 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Do you cook the spinach, ... new
      #177502 - 05/08/05 06:46 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

celery, zucchini, etc separately and then add them all together in the puree? Do you make a big batch all at once?

I'm not sure how to cook raw spinach, zucchini, or celery actually. Any hints on the cooking route?

PS new
      #177508 - 05/08/05 07:12 PM
Cyndy

How do you cook the fennel and watercress, also! I'm not very knowledgeably about how to cook! I'm trying to learn, though!

Re: Do you cook the spinach, ... new
      #177509 - 05/08/05 07:18 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

1. I do not cook each veg. in a "mole" (translated into English, "mole" means mixture!). Sometimes, though, you only feel like one veg.

2. You put the longest cooking veg. in first.

3. Baby spinach cooks ULTRA-QUICKLY!!! I put it in last if it's in a combo., and basically just turn off the heat, maybe give it a stir, and leave the whole thing alone for 5 or ten minutes!

4. Depending on how finely you slice the veggies also determines the length of cooking. Finely sliced zucchini cooks rather quickly. Celery generally takes a tad longer than zucchini depending on how green, or how bitter it is. Green beans generally take a little longer than celery. It also depends on how well you like your veggies cooked. For example, lets say I was doing green beans, celery, and baby spinach. I'd put the green beans in first with about a cup of water and sea salt and then crank up the heat. Then I'd chop up the celery and toss that in. About 10 min. later I'd toss in some dill (because I like it), add a little more water if required and then a few handfuls of baby spinach and because I'm a salt freak and on a high sodium diet, a little more sea salt. I'd then give the pot a stir, and turn off the heat. Then, about ten min. later, I'd put the liquid and the veggies in the food processor and give it a serious high speed whirl. I might add a little more liquid, i.e. broth or water (broth is a big flavour enhancer) and buzz it for a little longer. I might give it a little fresh lemon juice just for a twist before eating.

Today I did: anise (fennel bulb), green bean, and baby spinach. It was the perfect accompaniement for portabellini mushroom and saffron lime rice with cilantro. YUM. Basically, just do whatever veggies you think may agree with you and keep a "kitchen diary"/response log. You'll be surprised at what you'll discover.

5. Another tip for creating a creamier taste without using "notmilks" (when I use the turn "notmilk" I mean soy/rice/almond milk) is to add a few tablespoons of raw rice to the water as you're getting the whole concoction going. It's okay if the rice gets a little "mushy" as it will all be whirled in the food processor. A little potatoe is another trick, too. It's not necessary, though.

6. Personally, I like a little celery in a lot of these combos--especially the leaves!!!

So... new
      #177515 - 05/08/05 07:34 PM
Cyndy

you cook all your veggies in a saucepan with water? You boil the veggies? Isn't a lot of water required in order to make sure the veggies are cooked really well, making them safer? How much of each veggie is safe so that I don't get too much soluble fiber in at each meal?

In 1) you said you don't cook them together, but your directions sound like you do.

Did you see my PS?

Sorry so many questions, Wind. I do appreciate all you help. Promise this is the last set of questions!

What country are you from, btw?

This happens to me too new
      #177516 - 05/08/05 07:36 PM
Cyndy

All my food get splattered against the sides and under the blades. Even when I use the small processor, all the food gets splattered against the sides. I lose half of it!

Re: PS new
      #177519 - 05/08/05 07:42 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Re: cooking fennel, watercress, etc.

Cyndy,
I'm a total fuzz ball when it comes to cooking! Seriously though, I just start with a little bottled water and some sea salt and take it from there! I basically wash and finely chop everything--remove the stems from watercress. Celery and fennel and carrots are all chopped match size. Half the time, I just let the food processor chop most of the stuff--it great for zucchini and english cucumbers to get them ultra-paper thin and fine. If I'm in the mood for zucchini faux spaghetti, I use a veg. peeler and peel the zucchini or english cuke into strands. Some people like stir-fried veggies; personally, I'm not exceptionally keen on them. If I do stir-fry, I do it in broth, so it's more of a "steam fry." I like roast mushrooms, or broiled mushrooms and sometimes broiled/roast zucchini. I just crank up the oven...broil it until it looks done--less than 20 minutes! If I do a soup that's really thin, I might just use a hand blender. If it's a basically naked soup, i.e. broth, than maybe just a small bunch of watercress, or a handful of spinach, or a little carrot or zucchini or whatever!

I'm a soup/sauce/smoothie addict. Trust me though, when I say I'm clueless in the kitchen...I didn't know where to start or where to begin beyond a little bottled water, some sea salt and a few veggies that I prayed wouldn't throw off my equilibrium (I used to be a raw vegan before IBS-D)! Basically something nice to go with rice or whatever!!! You'll catch on quickly, though...I PROMISE.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4044 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3055

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review