All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What is happening to me?
      #177244 - 05/06/05 10:52 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

I don't know what is going on with my body the last couple of days but it is terrible. I have been trying to fallow the diet and haven't had any pain but have had some D. Now for the last two days the D has been worse and I feel terrible.

Evertime I eat I feel a little nauseas and then if I eat something that might be bad (?) I am so nauseas and then I get stomach pain.

Last night I had a blueberry muffin and about an hour later I was nauseas. Tonight for dinner I had a half a piece of chicken, a sweet potato, and coleslaw. Then I started to feel a heavy feeling in my stomach. About 2 hours later my stomach was hurting and now about 6 hours later I feel so sick to my stomach.

I was told that people with IBS don't get the nauseas feeling they get pain. Does anyone have any idea's what is going on here.

I don't feel like I have a virus and I have an appointment with a GI doctor on the 19th but right now I am scared I have a terrible fear of throwing up.

Thank you for listening,
Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is happening to me? new
      #177258 - 05/07/05 06:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

If you have IBS and not something else (make sure your doc has ruled out other things) a blueberry muffin unless its made from a recipe here and evne some here will have a) dairy and b) too much fat for most of us... b) coleslaw always gives me gas and the runs. have you been reading the information here? you need to get the issues under control and then start slowly finding your own triggers, but cabbage is a trigger for me as is mayo- in my cole slaw dressings... good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#177263 - 05/07/05 07:48 AM
SarahB

My doctor has rulled out almost everything except I will be having a colonoscopy soon. I did notice that I have nausea after I eat and then the next day I have pain. Is this normal?

I have been reading the information here. I just have no self-control. I am definitly going to try harder now. I ordered the books and hopefully they will come in this week. That should help!

Sarah

#177265 - 05/07/05 08:04 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

When you said you had no self control, that got me thinking. I wonder if the diet is easier to follow for the many of us that have had eating disorders because we already know how to restrict, restrict, restrict.

Interesting.

For me this diet is extremely easy to follow because I now associate pain and bloating with any no-no food (on Heather's list) and it's easy to turn something down when I know it's going to make me feel awful. If you can, try associating bad foods with how they make you feel and think about whether or not it's worth it before you eat it.

And, an easy way to resist bad foods is to always have plenty of safe foods around that you enjoy. For me, I love low-fat cinnamon graham crackers, but I only let myself eat them as a treat, since they have a lot of sugar. Thus, I get to eat a treat AND it's safe.

Just a thought.

Hope you feel better! ((Hugs))

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

I haven't read the other's posts..but insight... new
      #177287 - 05/07/05 10:44 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

coleslaw-makes gas producing stuff from the cabbage, and isn't it made with dairy?
blueberry muffin-could have been made with butter....we're not allowed ANY dairy.
and yes, i get nauseated ALl the time. i have const. IBS, but I have been nauseated for the last 6 months almost every day.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I think you're on to something....because new
      #177289 - 05/07/05 10:49 AM
_Willow

I've had a very tough time restricting(though I'd say 90% of the time I do great now) but, I'd been a kid who was restricted as to what to eat, and was given guilt trips for causing my mother to spend $100/month on groceries. Once I moved out on my own, i ate what I wanted, when i wanted, however much I wanted. And now it has been tough to get to the mental point of restricting. But now that I do, I feel so much better. I usually have one trigger a day, if I know it or not, and I know what those triggers are right away.

Of course, my DX is only a month old, so I'm still learning TOTALLY about this disorder.

But anyhow, yes, it's tougher when you don't ahve self control issues to your side of the spectrum, right? Mine's just a different form of selfd control I suppose. But the more I find that's safe and YUMMY, the more excited i am about this diet.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I think you're on to something....because new
      #177355 - 05/07/05 07:49 PM
SarahB

Thank you for all the help, I am going to really try to fallow the diet better because I don't want to feel bad all the time.

Sarah

I don't know... no eating disorder history, but... new
      #177401 - 05/08/05 06:51 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have always had certain things I didn't eat and kept kosher... so I think those 2 things made following this with only rare treats easier... I broke the rules last night without a huge upset but I was out of whack the opposite direction that what I ate would have caused already so it swung me only slightly D

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

That is interesting.... new
      #177417 - 05/08/05 08:17 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I think that to restrict your diet, as this diet calls for, really requires a change in the way you think about food. And if you have lived with an ED or with food allergies or other reasons why you've already had to think about food in that way, it makes it easier.

I did grow up with "allergies" (really, just undiagnosed IBS) so I already kind of had that mindset, but I know that I do think about food differently now. I mean, planning meals in advance and staying away from certain foods (ALL the time, not just most of the time), is not what most people do. Even THINKING about everything I eat, I do that so much more than before.

I have such a different outlook on food than most people, I think, and necessarily. But you're probably right Elizabeth, that outlook probably mirrors the way an ED makes you think about food in a lot of ways too... Not to say that this diet is going to give people an ED or anything like that! You just have ot start really THINKING about everything you put in your mouth or else you're going to feel sick all the time.

Very interesting indeed

#177419 - 05/08/05 08:55 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

people with IBS absolutely get nausea...its one of my main symptoms! so sorry you are suffering :-(

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#177421 - 05/08/05 09:03 AM
mudpielady

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: Kansas

Wow! You ate raw cabbage (coleslaw) and LIVED??? Ha. I would be so chained to the throne! I've had IBS for ever and ever, I'm 48, and am so relieved to have learned about it 10 yrs ago. Before, my doctors had me eating lots of fiber, insoluable of course. I went to the procto doc to make sure I was disease and cancer free. What a pain in the rear that was. ha. It's awful to have IBS, I'm afraid to leave the house somedays. You never know when the monster will strike. I know where every bathroom in town is... I've just found this site, and am amazed at how close I am to doing the right things. I love cream of rice, potatos, and avoid lettuce like the plague. I eat altoids like crazy, they really help. But the indigestion happens. Sounds like Heather is on to something here!

Hey. Here is something that helped me tremendously. Five years ago I read an article on celiac disease. No, I'm not a hypochondriac, just sick of D. The article described my sypmtoms to the t. It said that persons with this disease were allergic to wheat, barley, and oats. They make a slimy coating in your intestines, making it impossible for the tiny villa lining the intestines to absorb nutrients. I was so sick at the time, hungry all the time, eating like a pig (mostly wheat). I got so dehydrated I had to go the the ER for a bag-o-water in the veins! They sent me home with the advice of eating crackers and chicken noodle soup. I endured another 6 months of still sick, and trying to control it by NOT EATING. Well, I got skinny, but was still sick.

Ok. I remembered the celiac disease article. What the heck. I stopped eating wheat, barley, and oats. In fact, I didn't eat anything for 24 hours, just water. Then I started with meat. Then rice and corn grain. Then cooked vegies or fruit. I felt so good!!! Then I ate wheat. Within a week, I was deathly ill again. D and lots of it. Pain, too. I haven't touched wheat since. I still have problems, but it's better. I'm also going to incorporate what I have read here into my life. Just ate a bowl of cream of rice for breakfast....

#177426 - 05/08/05 09:29 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi! I don't know who told you that people with IBS don't get nausea. It's one of my primary symptoms and crosses to bear. Until I began taking medication I felt sick all of the time. My suggestion is to be very, very careful what foods you eat, particularly in the morning or the evening and you shouldn't actually get sick. I get sick a lot so I'm not scared of it, I don't particularly enjoy it but it's no big deal to me. But I usually only get sick when I've made very bad food choices at bad times of the day. Hang in there!

#179682 - 05/17/05 07:08 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

Hi Sarah - It was intetesting to read your posting! My main symtpom is actually Nausea. In fact, I very rarely have D or C. Mostly just nausea and gas I also find that some days I can eat anything and the very next day I can't eat anything. It is very random. I also have a fear of throwing up. I had an unfortunate experience as a child and have been emetophobic (afraid of vomiting and others vomiting) for the past 20 years. It is an awful fear and I am sure that when I do get nauseas, I worry myself sicker Just know that you are not alone! Good luck and keep smiling. Sometimes, all you need is a little relaxation and someone to keep you company!

Danielle

How are things progressing, sarah? new
      #179728 - 05/17/05 09:31 PM
_Willow

Are you feeling better? I get a lot of nausea when i eat certain trigs-ie: coffee and any ANY dairy.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#179741 - 05/18/05 04:59 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Lots of us emetophobes seem to have nausea as a major symptom! Sometimes I wonder if we just notice it more because it's more scary than pain? I've been calmer lately and have been noticing more pain than nausea.

Nausea is one of my major symptoms too, and is exacerbated by anxiety.... and in turn causes MORE anxiety! Bit of a vicious cycle, really... I find chewy mints, like Mentos help a bit. It may be placebo effect but they really seem to work for me.

--------------------
*Emma*

bump -nt- new
      #179906 - 05/18/05 03:13 PM
_Willow

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review