Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New member and happy to be here!!!
      #177101 - 05/06/05 09:35 AM
Neva

Reged: 04/26/05
Loc: US

Hello everyone,
My name is Neva and I am absolutely thrilled to have discovered this site. I've spent the last two weeks just reading, reading, and reading. I've learned so much! You all seem like such wonderful and caring people.

A little bit about me: I've suffered with symptoms of IBS since my early 20s--I'm now in my early 30s. As I've gotten older, my symptoms have become much more, er, "pronounced" (big belly bloating, gas, etc.). I am currently in the process of undergoing testing for an official IBS diagnosis--so far all results point toward IBS-A (but tending toward C).

I have already noticed some improvement with Heather's diet. Another thing that's helped IMMENSELY is magnesium supplementation. My naturopath prescribed magnesium and B6 (B6 aids in the absorption of magnesium) and it is a BLESSING. I take between 400-600 mg of magnesium (citrate capsules) each day with my evening meal, and 50 mg of B6 twice a day. I highly recommend magnesium and B6 supplementation--it helps me "go" every day! My naturopath says that most folks who suffer from constipation and IBS need extra magnesium. If anyone is interested in learning more about the benefits of magnesium, let me know! I've become quite the expert!

So anyway, thank you Heather for this board and for this site! I really am happy to be here!

-Neva

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New member and happy to be here!!! new
      #177105 - 05/06/05 09:50 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

welcome!
Glad you found some good info here. There is alot of knowledgable,caring people on these boards.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#177108 - 05/06/05 09:54 AM
Neva

Thank you, Melissa! Nice to meet you!

-Neva

Welcome! new
      #177111 - 05/06/05 10:01 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!
Welcome to the site.
You know, it is so awesome to meet someone new on the boards who is struggling through IBS but who has such a POSITIVE ATTITUDE! It is so easy to get discouraged and it's so great that you are happy to be here!

I'm so glad that you found magnesium works so well for you. I am IBS-D and I take calcium and find that it helps me quite a bit too (most of the time!). I think some people take a combination of the two for healthy bellys.

For your bloating and stuff, have you tried the herbal teas yet? Peppermint and fennel especially have really really helped some people with cramping, bloating and gas.

Anywho, just wanted to say Welcome and feel free to ask any questions!
Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Welcome! new
      #177115 - 05/06/05 10:15 AM
Neva

Thanks so much for the great welcome, Stephie! I do try to keep a positive attitude about the IBS stuff, but you're right in that it can get pretty discouraging sometimes. You find something that works great for a while, and then one day it doesn't help anymore! It can be really frustrating. That's why I'm so excited about the magnesium and B6--I will be sad if they suddenly stop helping!

You know, I haven't tried the peppermint or fennel teas yet. I do take fennel caps off and on, but I haven't taken them for very long.

My FAVORITE tea is decaf Tazo brand chai tea mixed with equal parts soy or rice milk and heated in the microwave. YUMMY! It always makes me feel happy.

Thanks again for the welcome!
-Neva

#177116 - 05/06/05 10:15 AM
SharonLyn

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: CA

New member too! I have been suffering from pelvic pain for 3 years and the drs have said it was menstral, probably endo. Last week my dr ordered a Sigmoidoscopy on the 20th. I guess I'll find out then. I've had hard time accepting this.

--------------------
sha

#177118 - 05/06/05 10:25 AM
Neva

Hi Sha! It's great to meet another new member--but it's NOT great to hear that you're in pain. I'm glad you're seeking answers, which will hopefully lead to an end to your pain in the very near future. I'm looking forward to "seeing" you on the boards--keep me posted on what your doctors say and we can muddle through this together!

Take care,
Neva

#177120 - 05/06/05 10:35 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Accepting it is very hard.
But once you do that it seems to be half the battle.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#177123 - 05/06/05 10:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! Glad you found us!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#177125 - 05/06/05 10:54 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Hello Neva! I was thrilled when I found this site a couple months back as well. What a wonderful wealth of information. I am interested in learning more about the magnesium. Are you just getting it from your local pharmacy? As we all know, it's worth trying anything to control the symptoms.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Welcome Neva ! -nt- new
      #177135 - 05/06/05 11:30 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
-Sheri

Welcome, Neva! new
      #177150 - 05/06/05 12:50 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

And I took the liberty of peeking into your profile... I see you like vintage stuff, antiques, travel, and general mayhem, so I think we'll get along just fine.

Glad you found us! Welcome aboard!

hi neva! new
      #177195 - 05/06/05 03:59 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey neva! welcome
im an IBS-C too and you say you know alot about the magnesium?? what is it exactly?? i started have ibs problems in my middle-teens [15-16] but it has become more persistant. im nearly 20 [less then a month] and agree with you that this site is wonderful but ive been stuck taking the same SFS since my first diagnosis @ 16. i find no relief from them and since im a vegan, a natural way is the path i would choose to take!! upload me on ANY information you have about magnesium as im going to my DR next week and would love to ask. im not a fan of taking any modern medicine which is why im interested in discontinuing my usage of the other SFS im taking. in addition to those, i also take heathers acacia which minimizes my pains ALOT! but anyways, welcome!! i hope you start to feel better with your ibs too! thanks for any information you can offer me!!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#177196 - 05/06/05 04:15 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

HI Neva! Welcome!

I take magnesium also, but I take quite a bit more than you - usually 1500-2000mg a day (or I take miralax), but I'm a C, not an A. Anyway, I'm glad that you've found it works!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Welcome, neva!! new
      #177212 - 05/06/05 05:26 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

A month ago, i was exactly where you are, in the proccess of diagnosis. I'm an A tending toward a C as well. Lately, i haven't had D in ages, and my C is only for a day or so now. Zelnorm and Heather's diet have helped a ton. We're still working on the bloating and the PAIN but that's not sooo bad!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1605

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review