All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
This fiber solution worked absolute WONDERS for my Combination IBS:
      #176986 - 05/05/05 07:08 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

ok, i haven't been on these boards in about a year (i was FennelHead, and it wouldn't send me my old password so i have a new-ish name) but i had to share this because it has helped me IMMENSELY.

so OK. a few years ago i tried taking just psyllium fiber, and i started all slow and gradually built up, but all it did was make me go to the bathroom more... constipation pretty much gone, but i still had D, and more of it : /

so then i found the acacia fiber from this website and started taking it; building up gradually etc., and it seemed to help some, except it often made the constipation more frequent... i was *sometimes* feeling less bloated, but really it wasn't that much improvement....

but THEN, about 6-7 months ago, i *finally* discovered something that's REALLY helped. i COMBINE the 2 fibers! i take one *slightly* rounded teaspoon of acacia mixed with *slightly* less than one teaspoon of psyllium every morning, and again when i get home from work. i hardly ever get bloated anymore, even when i eat bread! which has always been a MAJOR problem. i am even eating salads with little problem. i mean, i am by no means "healed" or whatever, i'm still far from what most would consider "normal", but i am SO much more comfortable now. (and truth be told, i would probably be even better if i'd follow *the diet* more, but i still eat fats; although, much less than the average person) i mean, before i was so bad that i felt suicidal... now i have occasional "bad days", but usually if i "go", i feel "finished"... i highly recomend anyone who has combo IBS to just give it a try for a few months and see if it works for you.

good luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nice!! new
      #177001 - 05/05/05 08:56 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

It's great to know when someone finds something that just WORKS!!
I do Metamucil(that's psyllium husk, right? ) alone, but have definitely been considering the acacia. Maybe I should too. I'm mostly C with a little D thrown in occasionally.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Nice!! new
      #177008 - 05/05/05 09:31 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hmm, yeah, maybe I'll try that. I'm mostly D. I too do Metamucil, mostly because I love the capsules, but keep hearing about acacia.

OH! One more thing: new
      #177092 - 05/06/05 08:28 AM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

I know there's a lot of Psyllium forms out there, the one i use it the Whole Psyllium Husks. they come in an unglamorous canister, and i get them at Whole Foods; i think the brand is Yerba Buena... i find they work very well, because i don't take TOO much like i might if it was powered, know what i mean? And stuff with extra chemicals never worked for me either (ie. Metamucil, Citrucel, etc. that and it was just TOO "bulking"...)

Mixing and matching is fine. new
      #177145 - 05/06/05 12:35 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I'm glad you find using the two together helps...

I too, use psyllium, but Konsyl brand.

Basically, using three different types all in the same day works wonders for me, I just don't combine them like you, which is absolutely A-OK.
Acacia and FiberChoice (Inulin--another prebiotic) during the day, and Konsyl (psyllium) just before bed.
I have however used Citrucel and Benefiber when I didn't have FiberChoice. I would never have as good success with using just one. I'd still be suffering with "C".
We all have to find what works for us. Kandee

--------------------

Re: This fiber solution worked absolute WONDERS for my Combination IBS: new
      #177257 - 05/07/05 06:37 AM
3grands

Reged: 05/03/05

Can you get psyllium at a regular drug store or do you have to get it at a Health Food Store? Judy

Re: This fiber solution worked absolute WONDERS for my Combination IBS: new
      #177272 - 05/07/05 08:51 AM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

You can get it anywhere, drugstore, grocery store.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review