All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How to eat and not break the wallet
      #176301 - 05/03/05 04:43 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

How is it possible to eat healthy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and not break the wallet buying food. I'm in college, I don't have a lot of money, I had about 250 in grcoeries this week, with all the fresh foods, bread, turkey, chicken, and organic food, how is it possible to eat healthy, eat the 6 meals a day I need to add muscle, and not have to pay absurd prices.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to eat and not break the wallet new
      #176304 - 05/03/05 04:50 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Well first of all, whole foods is REALLY expensive. I know how great it is, I love it too, but try going to other stores for your staples. I also spent a lot at the beginning of the diet, but you'll settle into a routine and eat cheaper stuff. Some of my cheap staples that I live on are flour tortillas, canned tuna/sardines/whatever, cream of rice cereal, rice, pasta, ground turkey, and ground chicken. Fresh fruits and veggies are expensive, yes, but they are also a part of every healthy diet, not just ours! The other good thing about ibs is that since our recipes mostly call for cooking the veggies first, there is little reason to pay for fresh veggies. I buy frozen spinach and frozen mixed vegetables. I also eat a ton of canned soup, but making your own is relatively easy and very cheap. Another thing to keep in mind is that home-cooking is almost always cheaper than going to a restaurant or ordering in. I live in NYC, practically the food delivery center of the world, and I only order in about once a month. I know I'm saving money by cooking for myself.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#176310 - 05/03/05 05:15 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

If you have a regular size fridge (instead of those dorm size things), another way you can save a little is buy buying the family packs of boneless skinless chicken breast that have 8-12 pieces instead of the smaller packs that have only 3 or 4 pieces. (I buy all natural Gold'n Plump brand, but I don't know if they're national.) Then divide the pieces up in quart-size ziplock freezer bags so I can thaw only what's needed. I usually put 2 or 3 pieces in a bag.

Whole Foods is indeed a beautiful place, buy yep, they are expensive. A lot of larger grocery stores (i.e. Meijer, Super Walmart, Woodman's, Cub's) will also have what's needed for the IBS diets, and most stores at least carry Silk soy milk these days.

#176314 - 05/03/05 05:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I buy my fruits and veggies at WalMart and I buy all the other stuff I need that I can't get at avergae stores at a HFS. Keeping gluten free, eating Kosher, AND eating IBS safe IS expensive...esp. on one income. BUT if I don't do it I will be sick in bed...which is not living. I'd rather LIVE my life happily and at peace than worry about beefing up n muscle or going into debt. Without my health...I've got nothing. I know...I was in bed for THREE MONTHS at the beginning of the year in PAIN....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176368 - 05/03/05 09:08 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Yep, I spend a TON of money at the grocery store... but mainly because I eat more *quantity-wise* than most people I know. Still, I don't get near as many calories as other people I know because I'm not chowing down on french fries, cookies & steak.

I'm going to echo Amanda and say that once you settle into the diet, it gets cheaper. I make my own bread at home, which costs virtually nothing per slice, and I eat a lot of tuna and frozen fat-free chicken breasts that I buy at Sam's Club. I eat pureed, canned fruit, and cheap fresh fruit. I eat frozen veggies and I buy my tortoise a varying mix of heads of lettuce, rather than the pre-cut bagged kind I used to buy him. Also, I try to stay away from the "fad" specialty foods, such as frozen IBS-safe meals at the HFS and soy ice cream (which can get super expensive).

You CAN live on this diet without spending loads of money, it just may get boring. You can buy 5lb bags of slow-cook rice, frozen chicken breasts and frozen veggies for VERY cheap. Sometimes you just have to make a decision, like Rutchie did, on what is more important: more spending money, or feeling good/eating healthily for IBS. (Not to mention, who needs spending money when you're too bloated and in too much pain to go out at night?)

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#176369 - 05/03/05 09:13 PM
notadocter

I only spent 20 dollars at Whole Foods, I went to other stores. I guess buying in bulk is the way for this, my refrig is regular sized but I share it with 3 other people too.
What kind of soups can we eat?
I thought high sodium, which soup has, is bad for us with what we have.

#176371 - 05/03/05 09:16 PM
notadocter

I live in Boston, I've been to 5 grocery stores, and I have not found one which sells frozen chicken breast or turkey burgers. Maybe I missed, but where can I buy these? It would be excellent if I could get frozen chicken breast.

#176388 - 05/04/05 04:39 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Ground turkey is usually in the same area as the chicken. I buy both fresh and then freeze. It comes packaged like fresh ground beef or in tubes like ground sausage. The stuff in the tubes is nasty-avoid it. I thought it tasted nasty before I had IBS and I've since checked the label and it's higher in fat than the other stuff. Although, I will admit I can't always find ground turkey in a regular-sized store.

#176476 - 05/04/05 08:06 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I've gotta ask, $250 - how long will that food last you?! When I spend that much on groceries, I can usually feed me and my husband for at least three weeks and I live in Washington DC (very expensive area). I know it can get expensive, but there are tricks involved here. One of the best ones involves the greatest health food store in the world - Trader Joe's. You may have seen others on the sight mention it. I looked on thier website and here is their Boston location: http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/map/510.asp
I don't know if you have a car or transport to get you there, but really, their prices are SO reasonable and they have tons of great stuff that we can eat. There are some things that you can't buy there and so you'll still have to go to the regular stores for other stuff, but really, even if it's a bit of a drive - this store is worth it! Also, buy fruits and vegetables that are in season, they will be cheaper. And yes, if possible, buy in bulk. I go to price club (Costco) for bulk stuff and Sams is good too. I remember when I was in college I would go with my mom for a huge price club run every time I was home and take stuff back to school with me. Even if you can't get the big stuff for the fridge, you can store non-parishables under your bed - things like oatmeal, granola bars, rice, dry pasta, honey, canned tuna/chicken/fruit/soup ect and dried fruit as well. You can also get cheeper prices on vitamins and OTC drugs at price club. Also, buy a package of gallan size ziplock bags for storing smaller portions of meats and dry goods and keeping things properly sealed. Buggies will get into the rice real quick if you're not careful. One other thing that I must menion because it saves me so much, even though I know I wouldn't have taken the time to do this when I was in college. I am now an avid coupon clipper. I get the Washington Post every Sunday and I regularly save about 15% off my grocery bill - sometimes more. You can't use coupons at trader joe's, but at the regular grocery, it makes a difference. At home, for things I can't buy at price club or trader joe's, I go to Harris Teeter. I've heard that Kroger's is good as well, and Giant's not all that bad. Good luck, and I hope there's lots of space under your bed!
Mindy

#176501 - 05/04/05 09:03 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I make my own turkey burgers with ground turkey (although I have to admit I did buy the tube kind and it tastes ok... but IS higher in fat) and I buy my frozen chicken breasts at Sam's Club, but I know they sell them at Wal-mart. Living in the South has it's advantages because there are Wal-mart's everywhere. If you can get to a Wal-mart or Target in Boston, I'd try - things are a LOT cheaper and you can get bigger quantities.

Good luck.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

soup new
      #176503 - 05/04/05 09:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If it has MSG or hfcs it's not going to be good for IBS. Whole Foods sells Imagine Soups. Very yummy and IBS safe (a bit pricey however).

Can you tolerate beans? Do you know? Beans and rice make a cheap, healthy calorie and nutrient rich meal.

I'll keep thinking for you...you're doing great!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#177246 - 05/06/05 11:10 PM
notadocter

Thanks for telling me about Trader Joe's, that is right near me. I will go and check it out, I have never been that store. What do they sell, is it a regular grocery or is more like Price Club with better prices?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 991

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review