All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Red Meat and Sugar Cravings
      #176062 - 05/03/05 06:39 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

Lately I've been under a ton of stress. As some of you know I lost one of my very best friends on wednesday. I'm also trying to finish up a semester of college. OK, not to mention I have two teenage girls...one going off to college in the fall. Plus, we are a military family and we are supposed to be moving this summer to Maryland, but we don't have our orders yet. We can't even schedule movers until then. Did I mention I'm stressed?

Anyway, my diet has been terrible since last week. Not only am I not following Heather's plan for IBS...it is almost like I'm purposely doing everything opposite. Drinking red Bull and eating fatty hamburgers is not helping the D. Luckily Imodium and Gas X help me a lot. I still have D, but it is only in the morning.

My question is this...is it normal to crave sugar and red meat when under this much stress? I think it might even be making the stress worse. I just have this *who cares* attitude about what I eat(until the cramping starts...then I really care)but my attitude has spilled over into who cares about the laundry, dishes, my hair, etc. Part of me feels like it is going to be a long road back to where I was before I lost my kitty and I just need to keep trying. What to do?

Karyn

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Red Meat and Sugar Cravings new
      #176132 - 05/03/05 09:23 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I dont' know about red meat- its been 20 years since I had any... but I crave sugar when I am under a ton of stress... and chocolate.. and comfort foods from my childhood- some of which I can't have anymore- like grilled cheese and other dairy stuff.. and chicken wings.. and other things I don't eat anymore...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#176135 - 05/03/05 09:26 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I don't know about normal. I crave sugar quite a bit, and it's hard to find safe "sugar" foods sometimes. I usually opt for sorbet (provided there's no HFCS or other whatnots in there) or Honey Nut Cheerios.

By the way, where in MD are you being sent? My father's in the Army and is stationed with an MP brigade in Gaithursburg.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#176218 - 05/03/05 01:12 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My mom always blames weird cravings or whatever on the weather. LOL. I don't know if it's a stress thing or not, but I've been craving a cheeseburger lately, too, even though I remember the discomfort from the last one I had last September!

I've also been craving sugar, but I thought maybe that was because I've felt so good for the last few weeks.

Hey, I'm an army brat too! Dad's been out since '88, so I guess I'm an OLD retired army brat. (I'm 33.) Anyway, hang in there, and I hope your PCS goes as smoothly as possible!

#176379 - 05/04/05 12:18 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

Nice to see the Army Brats are active! We are supposed to go to Aberdeen Proving Grounds. My daughter is already accepted to University of Maryland with almost a full scholarship. We hope to get there before she goes to orientation. If we can't get there that soon, we do have family in the area, so she will be taken care of.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#176394 - 05/04/05 05:09 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Cool! I'm working at APG this summer! I'll technically be at the Edgewood Arsenal, but I'm familiar with the main base as well.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#176521 - 05/04/05 10:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sugar is addictive btw. I've been trying to give it up completely and it's tough. It also can be detrimental to mood and contributes to destrucive tendencies and manic/depressive behaviour. So keep that in mind, okay?

Try going cold turkey on the triggers. Chuck them out as much as possible and get your family to say "do you WANT to feel ill?" wheneveer they see you reach for a trigger food. You'll feel so much better, really and truly. I know what it's like to be in that vicious cycle of comfort trigger foods, but breaking out of it feels SO good.

Good luck!

(((Hugs, karyn))) new
      #176608 - 05/04/05 01:34 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I know how you feel, totally. i've been under a sick amount of stress too. My cousin just died, my uncle was just diagnosed with bowel cancer, and I'm sick with bronchitis/sinusitis...and we were looking into boying a house and couldn't afford it, then thought about renting a house and can't afford that, and my MIL/babysitter was gone for the week and Dh works nights so I nevver see him. Augh. Wouldn't it be nice to just say STOP!!!! for a ewhile??

Anyhow, I swear I've been craving the same stuff-sugar, chocolate, and red meat. i think it is wehat we turn to when our energy is so depleted, right??

Just let things be-I'm coming out of my slump, and this too shall pass, right? Hugs to you, and know that you can come back to the diet anytime and you'l feel truly better.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#176651 - 05/04/05 05:30 PM
frustrated daughter

Reged: 05/01/05

Ugh! It's such a relief to know that I'm not the only one with these extreme cravings! Stress usually doesn't bring it on for me...because I always have them. Eating lunch at school drives me absolutely insane! Watching my friends eat tator tots, burritos, hamburgers.... yesterday I went home and cried after witnessing a bake sale! So glad I'm not alone!

This month marks four years of my not eating red meat! new
      #176668 - 05/04/05 06:50 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Living in Texas people look at me like I have lost my mind since steak and brisket is on every menu! The first two years were the hardest but now I don't even think about it any more.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review