All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New Member/Oat Milk
      #175840 - 05/02/05 02:03 PM
gategoddess

Reged: 05/28/04

Hi, this is my first post although I have been around off and on a couple of years. I did a search and didn't see anything and am hoping I am doing this right. I am diabetic, have fibromyalgia, I have chronic intractable pain controlled by a medtronics implanted pump, venous stasis from years of chronic swelling of my extremities = baby huey feet = really big shoes too, boo-hoo, no more size 7's for me, have had a nissan fundiplication for GERD in '95 that is starting to loosen again and form another hiatal hernia, and have battled what I thought were "nerves" most of my life until I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, spastic colon, etc. in the 80's and last year (April 1) I had a horrible attack that was surely IBS; I just knew it and found Heather's website and immediately ordered one of her kits pronto! After tests and ruling out other things, my gastro agreed, I just had another attack almost a year to the date. Now I am trying to figure out how the heck to eat for diabetes AND IBS. Shopping is a nightmare and seems to be an all day affair as I read every darn label, and look for certain items that I end up having to go to other stores for and I run out of energy. I find myself eating cereal, rice milk and that good old soluble fiber that I remember from Heather's list, like mushrooms when I get frustrated. I noticed Abbey82 has gotten to the point where she has limited herself to a small variety of foods she knows won't set off an attack. I guess we all know the feeling, and I'm floating around that area now. Amid my confusion, I read Heather's alternatives for milk, which my doctor said to stay from, especially when I am "unstable" :-) so I have been drinking Rice Dream which is great, I was surprised that I would like it, this whole thing is so hard for me because I was a garbage gut my whole life and I never gained a pound, then...things changed after 40...anyway, I can't find anybody or any store around here so far in the Oakland, CA area that has Oat Milk. I haven't made a mission of it, but I have looked around the city I live in which is about 30 miles East of Oakland and no one has any idea what it is. Does anybody know where I can find it? I would at least like to try it. Once again I tried a little regular milk after being "ok" and I noticed some cramping again, and I refuse to go through what I did before where I couldn't even leave the house. If somebody could help me, I would appreciate it, and, any tips or suggestions in general would be welcomed with open arms.

Antoinette

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Girl!! You have some stuff on your plate! No pun intended! new
      #175979 - 05/02/05 07:42 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I can't offer any advice, but I worry about Diabetes too, and I have severe GERD as well...so I hope someone can offer you some fantastic advice!! I guess it's all veggies all the time, and chicken till you puke, lol.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by SoreTummyMommy (05/02/05 07:43 PM)

Re: New Member/Oat Milk new
      #176024 - 05/03/05 12:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fraid I can't help you on the Oat Milk as I'm not local, but I just wanted to say that it's def. possible to do this diet without sugar. I do that to help my Fibro and I guess that'd make the diabetic issue easier as well. ???

Try NOT to limit yourself to just a few foods...Abby82 is having problems atm b/c she's done that too much!

#176613 - 05/04/05 01:48 PM
gategoddess

I'm not too bad anymore with the sugar issue, I/m able to use Slendra for most everything, the bigger picture these days with the diabetic diet seems to focus more on the carb count, and I do the best I can; my endocrinologist (who wears blinders to anything that might not be a diabetic issue and he doesn't want to deal with it) doesn't believe that when I'm having a bad IBS attack, my blood sugar readings go way down to normal and below. He will be a believer in June when I see him again. But when I get into the IBS issue as well, now I have to start going through my food list again, cut a few more things out, test others to see what happens...sigh...the frustrating thing is that I can eat something one day with no problem and the next time I eat it I could just slash my wrists! That has happened all my life, guess that's the mind/gut thing. I always wondered how things got from my mouth to my bottom so quickly. Were you following a particular diet for Fibro before IBS or did you have IBS before Fibro? Did they come in tandem? Just curious since I can remember as far back as 10 or 11 yrs old feeling bad, tired, "growing pains" that never seemed to really go away, that went in cycles but finally started to claim me in the mid 80's.

Antoinette

Re: Girl!! You have some stuff on your plate! No pun intended! new
      #176627 - 05/04/05 02:03 PM
gategoddess

Sorry, SoreTummyMommy, I'm a doctor's worst nightmare. I sometimes wish I could wake up and find it was just a long bad dream. Shall I go get one of those cookbooks like, 4000 ways to prepare chicken? (GAG) It took me years to start eating chicken...we lived in Vietnam for a couple of years when I was very young; the cook would bring home live poultry and I would play with them, and wonder why they would disappear...until one day when I caught him cutting off the head of one of my "pets"!! I realized I had been dining on my friends for awhile, as well as my dear friend Annabelle the turkey whom we'd had for Thanksgiving, to my utter shock. I still have some problems with chicken...
Has your doctor approached you about a Nissan Fundiplication? It did such wonders for me, I could not believe how much I had been missing and how good I could feel again since I had sort of been resigned to being like that all the time. I hated the liquid diet and counted each day with a vengence and cheated a bit, I was going crazy for food I could chew, but afterwards it was so worth it. I had it done in '95, my mom had an old version done up in Seattle in '81 when they had to break open the rib cage so she was there forever it seemed. Now it is laproscopic. Just wondered if he'd talked to you about any procedure to end some of your misery. It's really bad when you don't know which end to point where first...

Antoinette

If you believe everything you read, better not read. ~Japanese Proverb~

#176630 - 05/04/05 02:19 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

You can't find oatmilk in California!! Wow. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm surprised. I can find it in Rockford, IL, and believe me, this city is pretty darn Conservative-meat&potatoes Land. I have seen it at Kroger and at Woodman's. Woodman's is only in WI and IL, but it's one of those huge grocery stores. (It's the size of a Super Walmart, but it's ALL groceries.) Do you have anything like that in your area? Anyway, have you tried health food stores, or Whole Foods or Wild Oats?

Fibro etc. new
      #176712 - 05/04/05 11:13 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've had Fibro for at least 10 years, but my symptoms were intermittent and not too severe until after I developed IBS. I follow the IBS diet and then just avoid sugar for the Fibro (caffeine, alcohol, dairy etc are also bad but they're cut out for the IBS).

What's Slendra? Cos all artificial sweeteners are IBS triggers.

#176785 - 05/05/05 07:49 AM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

Why the oat milk? The rice milk is just as good and tasty. You can get vanila rice mild also.

Re: Growing Pains new
      #176882 - 05/05/05 12:53 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey gategoddess,

I had a question about your growing pains. I had TERRIBLE pains in my kness joints and ankles that would radiate up and down my legs - usually after I walked a lot that day - sometimes just out of the blue. This began when I was about 5 and finally settled down a bit when I was in my 30's. I hardly get them anymore unless I go to a festival or a night club where I am walking or dancing around for many hours. When I was younger, the doctor's claimed that it was growing pains and that I would grow out of it. Hello, I am 34, and although they have subsided, still come around every blue moon. I think I stopped growing at 18. Anyway - what could this be from? Fibro?

Thanks - Dana

--------------------
Dana

Here you go.. new
      #176985 - 05/05/05 07:07 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Pacific foods carries GF oat and almond and hazelnut milk type beverages.

I know the nut milks are usually lower in calories and sugars/carbs than Rice Dream.

At the top of the site it tells you where you can get them in your area and if you go to products you can compare the nutritional information.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1683

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review