All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I had sucha odd day yesterday, whatdya think??
      #175512 - 05/01/05 01:03 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

Well doing all my diet and herb requirements.
It payed off yesterday.
I had to clothes shop for my kids yesterday.
The whole long drive there I had none, or very mild IBS symptoms, felt pretty calm overall.

BUT I was almost having panic attacks tho!!

I dunno what was wrong!!

It's like after 2yrs of IBS my brain just habitually gets nervous when out somewhere EVEN without any IBS!
I mean sheesh my heart was racing, my hands shaking, my mouth dry, I could not concentrate well...and my tummy was all in nervous knots!!

You'da thought I was going to see the Dentist or my mother in law or somethin!
But no it was just to a wonderfull favorite store of mine I love to shop at, I had NOTHING to worry bout!!!!!

My IBS remained pretty decent all the while Praise The Lord!!!
And yet I had gotten so tense that I was even nauseas and afterwards my shoulders and tummy hurt so bad!

When I was finnaly calm and at home like an hour later....I had diarhea.
*rollz eyes*

So despite my IBS getting better and more stable every month....my anexiety gets worse!
I feel like if I had to face something truly scary I'd have a full blown panic attack!

Oh and yes...I am going out to walk every morning with Yoga beforehand. I've done alotta mental work too, mediating breathing exersizes...yeah...works briefly but not enough.

So what should I do??
Should I ask Dr bout getting on Traqulizers??
Would I get hooked on them and always need them or could I take them and then ease out of it??

I just find the irony lousy!
I get IBS stable but for so long have been so used to feeling anxoious when out that now I feel no more control at all.
*weep*

So I've taken so much of the IBS diet advice....now wtf do I do bout the fear??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I had sucha odd day yesterday, whatdya think?? new
      #175551 - 05/01/05 04:24 PM
ToilettPrisoner

*bumpity bump bump*

#175552 - 05/01/05 04:40 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Have you considered hypno? I had terrible anxiety, my biggest trigger, and it helped tremendously!!! I still do get the anxiety occasionally, depending on the situation, but it's not near as often or as bad as before.

Melissa new
      #175585 - 05/01/05 07:58 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Didja mean the Hypno CDs here??
I've thought bout it.
The price has turned me off so far.

How exactly does it work??
Like you repeat that stuff in your head as you feel anxious??

I'm just hesitant cuz it seems my anexiety like hits me outta nowhere when going out and snowballs down hill rapidly.
Meditating like before I go somewhere has failed miserbly.
The anxiety just keeps getting worse every month, a year ago I was doing 3 times more than I can now.

Frankly at this point I'd try anything tho!
I am saving meds for last....
I'm too worried getting on a Trangulizer would make me feel so wonderfull and calm that I'd wanna take it often, ya know??

I looked up anxiety disorders.
I think I'm borderline.
Interesting that it can CAUSE IBS, and I've always been on the shy wallflower side that went out only when needed pretty much.
I never thought the exstreme stress of my divorce and 2 jobs only increased my anxiety issues and then it created IBS.
*shrug*

But please tell me more!!
What Hypno did you use?
How long?
How fast did it work?
And exactly HOW does it work?
Thanx!

#175614 - 05/02/05 05:45 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

One easy thing that helped me with my anxiety a bit was getting B12 injections and taking iron pills. When I was low in both of those, I felt so shaky all the time that it brought on panic attacks almost every day. I still get them, and I'm still a really anxious person, but I've been a full fortnight with no sick days this pay period, and I'm really proud of myself.
I don't know how much this will help you, but definitely get your levels checked next time you're at the doc.

Another favourite trick of mine is to sing along with the stereo in the car.. it takes your mind off things a bit, and encourages good breathing, which helps hugely. Your kids might be a bit cringey (I always was when Mum sang in the car) but maybe they'll join in too!

--------------------
*Emma*

#175618 - 05/02/05 06:34 AM
Alli32

Reged: 03/24/05

I also used the hypno cds and they helped tremendously with the anxiety and panic attacks. I still get little panic attacks occasionally, but since doing the hypno they got MUCH better. Also, maybe try positive reinforcement. Like when you are feeling good, go out somewhere close and safe (that you know has a bathroom). I also like to go alone at first so if I get sick there is no embarrasment factor. After a few successful outings, my anxiety decreases. I don't take medication for the panic and anxiety but was seriously considering it before I did the hypno. It's worth talking to your doctor about because it is a really crappy way to live. Hope this helps. If nothing else, at least you know you're not alone.

#175631 - 05/02/05 07:17 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I suffer from anxiety, too. If you have tried everything else and can't get any relief you might talk to your doc about Librax. I have been on it for several years (it can be addicting). You take a pill 30 minutes before you eat and it helps to relax you and your tummy.

At first I started with one before each meal but now I'm down to one pill in the morning. When I'm having a really anxious day I take a pill twice a day. It has really helped me. My doc said as long as it is helping me she said it was safe to take.

I know there are a lot of other anti-anxiety drugs out there, too.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#175642 - 05/02/05 07:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You definitely sound lik a good candidate for the hypno CDs...they are more of a long-term help than something like meditating before you leave.

Do you do yoga? I find the calming breath very...well, calming! It's breathing through your nose and count breathing in (usually 4 or more) and then the same amount breathing out. Pausing in your breath before breathing out will slow your heart rate, but can be too difficult if you're really panicking!

Or get some meds from your doc....just for a while. The more times you go out without having attacks, the less of a problem the anxiety should become.

Well... ok just to add new
      #175924 - 05/02/05 04:52 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Great advice.
I will look into the Hypno more.
Lord knows I'd rather try that than meds.
It just seems too good to be true, you play a CD and *poof* the anxiety is gone??

All the advice was good, and I use bits of it already....the problem is the monents of sudden unprepared situations, like I can't drive yet because I'm having to be alert and focused so much while driving that I have a harder time just breathing, ya know like someone cuts me off and there goes my calm!! My breathing speeds up an all....and then like when we pull up to the destination I always get this flood of anxiety that makes me even dizzy!

It's one thing to struggle with that, my worry is what bout those situations where I get no warning, or things that are just VERY nerve racking like a Dentist visit an all.

Anyways, but thanx for the advice.
It is nice to know you all understand, and are there to help!
Thanx!

Re: Melissa new
      #175949 - 05/02/05 06:29 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Sorry, yes I did mean the hypno CD's. I was hesitant at first also for the price (the price went down the week after I ordered ), but I try to look at it as it was 100-day program, so it is less than $1 per day.

It is VERY easy. You pop it in and listen. That's it. Eventually your subconcious just does its thing and you notice you're not as anxious anymore. Sounds weird, but I swear it's true! Half the time I fell asleep during the CD's, so it's not like you have to pay attention. Your subconcious does it for ya.

I used the Auido 100 by Michael Mahoney. I did the program once and noticed a BIG change. I began noticing changes after about a month or so. But everyone is different for how fast they notice. I mean I felt A LOT better. But ya know, just not 100%. Tried it again a year later - OMG!!!

I say try it - what have you got to lose? (Besides $90, but hey, the way anxiety meds go, that's LOTS cheaper! And, you can claim it on your taxes for medical expenses! )

Oh yeah - I saw you said about the dentist. Trust me, one of my first attacks ever, before I even knew what IBS was, was in the dentist chair - NOT FUN!!! Needless to say, it took me forever to go back. Anyway, now it's no problem. As a matter of fact, I have my six-month check up next week. Not that I enjoy going to the dentist, but not a big deal anymore.

Re: Well... ok just to add new
      #176026 - 05/03/05 12:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's where the yogic breathing comes in handy! You just have to force yourself to do it. Even if you start off counting really fast it'll still help. If you need to, just pull over for a minute and do it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1180

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review