All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
scents and getting D - IBS?
      #175442 - 05/01/05 07:17 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

A friend of mine said she gets sudden D from strong smells- like perfume and morning coffee and stuff. She was wondering if this could be IBS. I haven't heard of that before so does anyone know?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: scents and getting D - IBS? new
      #175444 - 05/01/05 07:21 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't know if it's IBS, but strong scents can have a similar effect for me. It's not an all-the-time thing, though.

#175528 - 05/01/05 02:06 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Not sure... I know if I'm already in attack-mode, feeling really crappy, scents can send me over the edge. Like if my boyfriend's cooking hamburger or something.

#175530 - 05/01/05 02:13 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

yes me too, I am very sensitive to smells and scented products. Cigarette smoke is huge, perfume, cleaning products, etc. I haven't used dryer sheets in years and use purex free and clear laundry soap, don't wear perfume and can't have scented deodarant or products.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#175532 - 05/01/05 02:18 PM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

I get this too. There was one type of Lancome lipstick that I kept trying to wear and got D every time!!

#175539 - 05/01/05 02:40 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

it also happens to me sometimes.. but not all the time, and I can't remember any particular scents that always send me over the edge.

--------------------

#175613 - 05/02/05 05:39 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Any perfume with vanilla in it makes me really nauseous... but I think this may be due to the last time I got a stomach virus, I'd tried out some Dolce Vita, which has vanilla notes in it and now I associate the smell with being sick... and since I'm very superstitious about it all, being an emetophobe and all, it's probably psychosomatic.
I also can't stand the smell of red meat cooking, or kebab shops. However, I adore the smell of bacon, which pretty much instantly stimulates my appetite. Which is weird, because I can't stand to actually eat bacon. The Subway yeasty smell does the same thing, as does the KFC smell.. but I think they do that on purpose!
Coffee actually smells like a case of D to me sometimes, so I find it really offputting, especially on someone's breath.
Savlon or Dettol usually makes my guts go liquid, but again, I think that may be an emetophobic association thing, as to me, that's the smell of "someone's been sick".

--------------------
*Emma*

This is so true about scents and getting D new
      #175627 - 05/02/05 06:54 AM
beth71

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

My husband kept telling me it was all in my head, everytime he put on colonge or someone with perfume walked by, or if there was some very strong odor from food, so I asked my GI. He told me the smell and GI tract are connected and that it's not just pychological.

~Beth

#175651 - 05/02/05 07:57 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

has happened to me before too! i would say it is IBS related, definately. Cigarette smoke especially, but I don't htink that is due to the smell as much as the stimulant affects smoking has on the GI Tract, seeing how inhaling second hand is probably close to as bad as smoking yourself in that way.

--------------------
-Sheri

#175654 - 05/02/05 08:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I get sooo nauseous from strong odors. I alos get migraines and it kicks my fibro in gear. But I would def. say it effects my tummy! Cool post, thanks Minnie Hope this helps your friend

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Wow thanks for the responses! new
      #175777 - 05/02/05 11:54 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I will tell my friend that there is a link. I kind of think that she needs to have regular symptoms to have IBS but she might not have mentioned any but possibly has some. I just hope she can get help. I always thought her thing with perfume was from allergies and that sort of thing. I never asked about it since I never wear perfume so it didn't matter.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2656 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review