All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for those who are stable...
      #175201 - 04/29/05 07:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

How strictly do you adhere to the IBS diet if you've been stable for awhile? I'm not going to go out and order a steak and a large malted milk or anything , but I was curious.

My IBS has been really bad most of this year (LOTS better in the last couple weeks...yes,thanks to Heather's diet), but looking back, I think I've had symptoms a long time. However, I knew my "recipes for disaster," so I avoided certain foods when my stomach was bothering me, which wasn't all the time. And I know my sister successfully deals with her IBS differently than I do mine. (For example, a little red meat doesn't bug her terribly, but I'm afraid of most of it.) I know IBS is a very individual condition.

Again, if you are stable, how strictly do you adhere to the diet? Venison (deer) doesn't seem to hurt me, and I know as a red meat, it should be a trigger. What trigger foods can you handle and in what amounts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for those who are stable... new
      #175203 - 04/29/05 07:42 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Here's a good thread on 'cheating' once you're stable: web page

...it also includes Sinead's rules for cheating (once stable) which are really good! Do a search as well, you may come up with more discussions on this.

#175242 - 04/30/05 03:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm okay with higher fat content than is normal...and the occasional drink or two...or a few squares of dark chocolate. Small amounts of casein or whey in ready made foods don't bother me as long as I'm not having it everyday. And I do go for an all-out cheat occasionally with only relatively mild consequences.

The main plus I've found is that even if I cheat bad and get D, bloating, whatever, from it, I'm okay again after a day or so. Foods don't set me back like they used to...now I'm stable my tummy bounces back (this is why you should NOT cheat at all before you are stable as it will just set you back (ie affect you worse/for longer) than it will after you are stable).

#175246 - 04/30/05 03:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I still adhere to the diet pretty darn strictly. I'm finding that I can eat small amounts of extremely low-fat red meat (ie, venison or beef jerky) - emphasis on SMALL amounts, not even a full serving - and I've also found that I'm ok with 1 decaf soda a day. But that's really it as far as my "cheating" goes. And even then, I eat SF before I eat/drink either of those two things.

On a smaller "cheat" level, I've found that dairy derivatives such as casein don't bother me (even though full-on dairy DOES), and HFCS and MSG don't bother me either. This has been a lifesaver, as a lot of otherwise safe foods (soy cheeses, a lot of commercial breads, non-dairy creamer, low-fat canned soups & bouillon, etc) contain those.

I'm with Linz that it's important to stray from the diet in moderation ONLY when you're stable. There's definitely a huge difference between how my body reacts to a "bad" food now compared to how it reacted a year ago, when I was definitely nowhere near stable.

#175269 - 04/30/05 07:16 AM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

My son's (IBS-C)favorite cheat is pizza. He was invited to a birthday party where they would be having pizza and cake and I was EXTREMELY worried that he would overdo it. (Last time he ate pizza we ended up in the emergency room but that was even before he was diagnosed) Because he was stable, he had one small slice of pizza and immediately got back on track. While he felt a little "off" the next day, it wasn't as bad as we expected and he was able to join his friends and feel like part of the crowd. This is only a rare treat, and like the others said, only if he is stable.
CK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 657

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review