All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do I gain weight ?
      #174942 - 04/29/05 01:43 AM
garywest

Reged: 03/02/05

Hello folks how are you all doin? I have had IBS-C since many years. But since last 3 years it is pretty much under control except for ocassional flareups. I am using alternative meds -homoeopathy - to be exact.

I am 5'10". And weight is 60kgs. I am little underweight. How do I put on weight?
Should I eat fatty foods and milkshakes? or take high protein drinks?
Or just eat french fries whole day! LOL!
I need your specific suggestions. I do not eat much meat - just chicken sometimes.
thanks

Gary

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do I gain weight ? new
      #174943 - 04/29/05 02:00 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Gary, if you do a search on all boards with no time limits this has come up a lot. Please DON'T eat fatty foods, this will make you sick, protein shakes are okay as long as you stick with soy or rice ones from the HFS and be sure they don't contain dairy (whey and casein are also dairy) but otherwise like I said do a search this has come up a lot. Hope this helps some and good luck

--------------------
Amy

#174945 - 04/29/05 02:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Like Amy said, do a search. But the key thing is to consume more calories than you expend...something like fitday can help working all that out. Go for protein and carbs, not fatty foods....making your IBS worse will only make gaining weight harder.

#174967 - 04/29/05 05:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

one other thing, a lot of the breads and things here are high caloric without being high fat adn are safe...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Weight Gain Secrets new
      #174980 - 04/29/05 06:44 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Gary:

I can identify with your problem because I've been underweight in the past. Unfortunately, I have a double whammy because I not only must follow the IBS low fat diet, but I must also stay away from anything with sugar because of blood sugar problems.

Despite this I have managed to put on weight. Here are my suggestions...

First of all, don't eat anything fatty like the things you mentioned in your message! This will only serve to make you ill and lose even more weight.

The best way to gain weight is to eat small meals often. If you are eating three times a day now, increase that to six smaller meals. For example, I pack myself three sandwiches to take to work every day. I make them with IBS-safe, additive-free, organic turkey slices available in the Greater Toronto Area and, if I need to gain weight, I spread some mashed potatoes or mashed yam on the sandwich for added calories! I eat one sandwich about 11 a.m., another about 1:30 p.m. and the last about 4 p.m.

Also, if you have no problem with sugar, then increase your intake of IBS-safe desserts and other treats with sugar. Other peoples' suggestions of eating more bread is good too.

In addition, you could try a dairy-free, IBS-safe margarine that I use on my bread and which has helped me gain weight. It's called "Organic Earth Balance Buttery Spread" and is available in health food stores in both the U.S. and Canada. My IBS makes me extremely sensitive to food, but by some miracle this margarine agrees 100 per cent with me.

The other thing I would recommend (if you haven't already done so) is to join a gym and take up weight lifting. Muscles add weight without adding fat to the body.

Please don't be discouraged if you don't gain weight immediately by employing the above diet and exercise approach. It may take a month or two to begin gaining weight if your metabolism is high. But eventually you will see a positive result.

Belinda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 587

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review