All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Refrigeration of digestive enzymes/acidophilus?
      #174822 - 04/28/05 01:33 PM
Lauriea

Reged: 08/18/04

I have been taking Digest Gold Digestive enzyme pills which contain 250 million CFU of acidophilus to help digest protein, fat, carbohydrates and fiber. I notice that I get a lot of gas with pain and bloating usually half hour to hour after eating dinner. I heard that digestive enzymes and acidophilus should be refrigerated to be effective. Is this true and should I be taking them in liquid form? Thanks. Lauriea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Refrigeration of digestive enzymes/acidophilus? new
      #174826 - 04/28/05 01:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't know about digestive enzymes in general, but Beano does not need refrigeration. A search on "digestive enzyme" should turn up some information. You could try "digestive enzyme refrigerate", also.

As for probiotics (acidophillus is a probiotic), you can take a look at this thread for some thoughts on the refrigeration issue. Beyond that, you can search on "probiotic" and get tons of hits. Again, "probiotic refrigerate" might turn up more focused information. (A search on "acidophillus" is problematic because it's hard to spell. For example, I'm spelling it differently than you did and I have no idea which spelling is correct. )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#174840 - 04/28/05 03:07 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I know at the health store they recommend to refrigerate acidophilus, so it definitely couldn't hurt. How do you like the enzymes? Do you think they help? I take them also and keep experimenting with different ones. I'm not sure if they just don't really work that great or if they are doing anything at all. It looks like the ones you take are pretty potent, and I wouldn't mind trying, but very pricey, so want some more input. Let me know!

Thanks,
Jessica

#174852 - 04/28/05 03:36 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I have been taking Digest Gold Digestive enzyme pills which contain 250 million CFU of acidophilus to help digest protein, fat, carbohydrates and fiber. I notice that I get a lot of gas with pain and bloating usually half hour to hour after eating dinner. I heard that digestive enzymes and acidophilus should be refrigerated to be effective. Is this true and should I be taking them in liquid form? Thanks. Lauriea

I'm not familiar with Digest Gold. Is it both a probiotic and digestive enzyme combo all in one pill?

Take a look at the instructions again. Some say to take on an empty stomach some with food.

Personally I take both with food, but that's seems to be what works best for me.

Take a look at this from the Research Library.
I once was of the belief that only live cultures could be of benefit. Now I'm less inclined to think that way.
Kandee

--------------------

Kandee, just to clarify (or maybe confuse more) ... new
      #174854 - 04/28/05 03:54 PM
Sand

I'm not sure if your thinking in referencing the research library article was that unrefrigerated probiotics must be unlive, but just in case it was...

According to my GI the Flora-Q probiotics are live, but don't need refrigeration. So it seems like now there are 3 "types" of probiotics:

- Unlive, like the ones in your research article which presumably don't need refrigeration
- Live and need refrigeration
- Live and don't need refrigeration

There's a fairly recent book out ("The Paradox of Choice", I think) that says too many choices is not necessarily a good thing. Who knew that logic could apply to probiotic choices?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

You are so right Sand... new
      #174882 - 04/28/05 06:48 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

There are definitely those three types. The thinking up until now has been that it must be live and must be refrigerated to be of maximum benefit, which we now know is not so, at least for the refrigeration aspect. Personally I take both live varieties..the unrefrigerated when I travel or eat out. I'm still not sure about the UN-live ones and to what extent they are as beneficial to humans as they are lab animals.

Ahh, you are so right about the many choices in this world...
I remember when you could spot the actual year, make and model of a car from a mile away. Now they all look alike...(at least to me).
And then there are the choices in the HFS. The new Whole Foods store in Austin, TX is something like 80,000 square feet..talk about choices!!!
Kandee

--------------------

80,000 sq ft? This I gotta see! Time to visit my friends in Houston. -nt- new
      #175118 - 04/29/05 12:43 PM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3507 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1657

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review