All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating for GORD (Gastro-Oesphogeal Reflux disease) and IBS
      #174662 - 04/28/05 05:30 AM
Toire

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: London, Engand

I have had IBS for two years and until recently was controlling it well by avoiding my trigger foods (wheat, caffeine, sugar). I started to get heartburn, which got worse and worse. My IBS also got worse as recently I have moved house, changed jobs and am having trouble with my partner. The doctor said I have GORD and must avoid acidic foods and all alcohol. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I'm so grateful to have a forum like this - thank you to you all!

Toire X

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating for GORD (Gastro-Oesphogeal Reflux disease) and IBS new
      #174665 - 04/28/05 05:35 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Do a search for GERD (different spelling in US, same disease). There are sadly a ton of people on the boards suffering from both, so I'm sure you'll find some info. Make sure you do a search on all boards with no time limits, and I know you'll find something.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#174669 - 04/28/05 05:46 AM
Toire

Amandapanda; Thank you for the tip - I've found info (not what i wanted to hear but hey) n I feel less alone.

Thanks again

Toire X

#174697 - 04/28/05 07:18 AM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

There is a ton of info on the boards abt the concurrence of these conditions. I also have both (diagnosed with GERD last summer and with IBS-C in the last cple of months, but was experiencing IBS sx for the past year or so). If it's any comfort, I actually find the fact that so many of the foods prohibited for reflux (acidic foods, dairy, foods high in fat etc.) are also foods best avoided by ppl with IBS, to be quite a comfort. Some exceptions of course--peppermint, ginger, some other spices etc, come to mind. But as my dr. explained, everyone reacts differently, and like with IBS, you might find that your reflux sx act up with certain foods and not others. (I actually do reasonably well with peppermint tea as long as I drink it early in the day when I am certain to be upright for a while)and keep it to one cup. So best of luck with it.

#174698 - 04/28/05 07:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It is very important to get medication for this as well! Lansoprazole is the usual med over here.

Avoid tomatoes, spicy or hot food, fruit juice, any acidic friuts, extra cold stuff, drinking or eating too fast or too much, not eating, caffeine and carbonated drinks. Herbs are fine, so use those to flavour foods instead of spices.

Having gotten stabilised on meds with this, I can eat some tomatoes and acidic or spicy foods, but not too much and fyi only dry white wine effects it for me in the alcohol stakes!

GERDs/GORDs (same thing, different spelling) is really easy to treat! It's so much easier to control than the IBS. Just make sure you get a good course of medication.

#174723 - 04/28/05 08:07 AM
Toire

Thank you! I am now on Lanz whic has helped alot - I am in a rush now so will reply properly later - I'm going to dinner . When I rang the restaurant to see which food they served which was wheat n sugar free n not acidic they did not speak decent english and after two phone calls they hung up on me. I cant wait to see their faces when I walk in with a Right Honourable Member of Parliament!

Thanks again

Toire X

#174728 - 04/28/05 08:12 AM
Toire

Thank you. The thing that gets me down is that wheat, sugar and caffeine are off the menu for me cos they are my trigger foods (altho lately it doesnt matter what i eat i get ill) so if I then cut out acidic foods, dairy and high fat what do i have left? potatoe, veg and meat and I actually want to stop eating meat for ethical reasons. At least I'm losing weight!

Thank you for yuor support

Toire X

#174732 - 04/28/05 08:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Why are wheat and sugar off the menu? Are you intolerant of them? Cos they're not actual IBS triggers (although some people like Casey find that when they are really ill sugary food can be difficult).

Anyway, even if include that, it leaves all the veggies, potatoes, rice, quinoa, tofu, quorn, etc, etc. Get cooking! It's so much fun to discover yummy new foods that are safe.

#174739 - 04/28/05 08:26 AM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

Caffeine is a pretty big no-no for your reflux too. But as Linz indicated, there are tons of foods left in addition to meat/veg/pot. Have you had a chance to look at the Eating For IBS Cookbook? It's terrific and filled with straightforward and delicious recipes which even my kids like! All the best.

#174757 - 04/28/05 09:14 AM
123linda

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: France

Hi.I am pretty new to the board,but I have found Heather's diet wonderful for GORD.I was in a real mess with severe IBS and the pain from GORD which felt like someone was pouring neat acid into my abdomen.I also cannot eat wheat,barley,rye or oats.I live on rice,potatoes,fish, chicken and vegetables.In France I can buy few ready foods at all so I cook everything myself.At restaurants,I have laminated cards in 5 languages detailing my problems and find that pretty successful as the waiter can take them to the chef.The great news is I am well,off all medicines and beginning to feel human again.I have not put on weight and I am sleeping well for the first time in years.The UK is much better at dealing with food problems than France so I am sure you will find restaurants to cater to your needs.Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1093 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review