All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
i need help my doctors say its in my head
      #174575 - 04/27/05 06:53 PM
teal

Reged: 04/26/05

Ive had ibs over 3 years now and quite my job in oct due to the stress and now its due to having no job. im on medication for depression and so all the dr's say its stress. i bought the ibs book and there isnt even alot in there that doesn't upset my stomach. i dont want to be overweight again so i cant live on rice and potatoes forever. ive seen gasterntologists had tons of tests done they all come back clear. ive lost 20lbs in 4 weeks because everything i eat or drink i cant keep down, can anyone help me! Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i need help my doctors say its in my head new
      #174581 - 04/27/05 07:13 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I've heard that one before. Funny thing... vomiting isn't in your head. They can be so dumb sometimes. I swore I would scream if one more test came back "normal". When my gastric emptying scan came back normal I lost it and my doc put a diagnostic code for nuerotic depression on my chart. But he agreed to go by my symptoms and agreed to treat me.

Have you ever had a gastric emptying scan? With all the vomiting you may want to look here g-pact.org and see if anything sounds familiar. If it does, print it and take it to a gastroenterologist and ask for a scan.

It took 5 doctors two years to find out I had gastroparesis in Dec 2003. I'm still paying them off. You feel full really easy, nauseated and vomit. Almost anything you eat makes you sick, and some people get really bloated. Losing weight is a classic symptom especially with the vomiting. Malnutrition, anemia and dehydration can be a problem that lands one in the hospital.

Good luck to you and I'd get a brand new gastro doc if your old one didn't work well w/ you.
Wendy in Oklahoma
wendysmiling@cox.net

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

It's time to switch doctors and... new
      #174596 - 04/27/05 08:38 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

...start to feel better. Heather has a section on what to eat when you can't eat anything. Try that for a few days to get your system back to normal. Don't worry about gaining weight right now... just concentrate on feeling better.
You also might want to consult a nutritionist. They are more open to new ideas and may offer you better advice than you doctor. It's important to share what you learn with your doctor. If he is a good doctor he will listen. It can't be in your head if you are actually having D. My Gastro was very excited when I told him about Heather's site. He admitted that IBS is not a well researched feild and was open to new information.

I hope you feel better soon. Here is a virtual hug.

Chany

Get a new doctor! new
      #174622 - 04/28/05 12:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yes, stress and depression can make IBS worse, but it won't CAUSE IBS! Not everyone out there you gets stressed gets really ill! Sheesh...when are they going to learn? Get a new doc asap...there are some good ones out there - tho even them don't understand about diet properly.

But it's REALLY important to make sure it is IBS.

Btw, fyi you can have a wheat or gluten intolerance on top of IBS, and then eating normal bread and pasta would make you worse! This is often the solution when the diet doesn't work for someone initially.

Good luck. This diet does work...but it all takes time, alot of time.

Re: Get a new doctor!DITTO!!!!! -nt- new
      #174671 - 04/28/05 05:47 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#174743 - 04/28/05 08:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. And it sounds like your doctors are making it worse.

Please take a look at this thread and see if any of the good doctors listed are in your area. You'll have to read through all the posts in the thread - some of them have recommendations for doctors inside them.

If you don't find a doctor listed in your area, you can try a post saying where you are and asking if anyone knows a good doctor near you.

And welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#174749 - 04/28/05 09:04 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I'm kind of going through the same thing too with Dr.'s. Only one of them suggested it was psychological. The other one had some kind of problem then later I found out he has cancer.

I have a strange work history. I come from both law enforcement and medical field. I understand all too well that stress (whether physical, mental, or emotional) can cause medical problems, but medical problems call also trigger depression. They go hand in hand. It doesn't mean that eveyone who is ill is depressed only that it "can" happen.

Just the fact that a Dr. would suggest "It's in your head" doesn't mean it is. Right now I'm very frustrated but, if I don't get some answers and help, it's possible down the road it can trigger a bout of depression. In that case, it would be the result of the painful attacks and incompetent Dr.'s.

I'm sure many can relate to this example. Remember the feeling when you were about to go out on your first date with someone you were really crazy about and you got butterflies in your stomach? That is something a Dr. would consider to fall in the category of stress and/or anxiety. It doesn't mean something is wrong with you though.

Someone told me they went to 5 Dr.'s before they found a good one. I'm going to #3 in June. In my case, it hits everytime I start my monthly menses and so far one Dr. said he felt it was hormonal related. The other thinks it's in my head because my labs, barium enema, and CT scan were normal. I think it's in "his" head! Keep your head high!! You'll find someone who will listen to you and help you. Heidi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 325 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 713

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review