All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
missing periods
      #174503 - 04/27/05 03:39 PM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

i went 6 months taking food away from my diet and got down to nothing but white rice and water.about a month ago i started eating more,adding meats,junk food,and all that good stuff.i havent had my period since the beginning of January,i got 5 pregency tests done but they were all negitive.is missing periods part of ibs?what is wrong with me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: missing periods new
      #174523 - 04/27/05 04:13 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That seems familiar, like someone posted about it a looonnnggg time ago. You may want to try a search. I will too and see if I find anything. If so, I'll post it.

One other thought...did you lose a lot of weight? I think if you lose too much weight it can stop your period.

Malnutrition... new
      #174525 - 04/27/05 04:15 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...or what the experts would call "extreme dieting". Drastic changes in your diet can definitely affect your period... and the longer the changes happen, the greater your chances of having missed periods.

It's good to hear you've started adding things back into your diet (be careful with meat and junk food, though!). Most likely, your system will go back to normal in another month or so. However, you might want to make an appointment with your gynecologist, just to make sure there's nothing else going on.

Agreed new
      #174628 - 04/28/05 01:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you lose too much weight or eat too few nutients then your body will try and stop you being able to get pregnant - if you haven't got enough supplies for you then you couldn't support a baby I guess! Anyway, it can take quite a while for everything to get back to normal, but as CAsey said, getting checked out by a gyno wouldn't hurt.

Fyi, missing periods is NOT part of IBS at all, it's just that the extreme diets and weight loss that can happen effect your fertility.

#174651 - 04/28/05 04:02 AM
Kemi

yes i lost 40 pounds..now im gaining weight back!!yeah!

#174667 - 04/28/05 05:43 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I am NOT an expert on IBS but missing your cycle definately is not a part of ibs.
Have you seen an OB-GYN?

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#174879 - 04/28/05 06:34 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well, that would do it! Also, another factor is medications.
Certain medications supress reproductive functioning--medications for mood/anxiety/seizures. Also, STRESS--seriously is a factor--B vitamin depletion.

#174903 - 04/28/05 09:23 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

OMG that is exactly what happened to me! *whoa* ive been having light periods for one year now, which was when i started taking an interest in my ibs. but jan.was the last time i got my period until yesterday. it was wierd b/c i actually started eating more then usual, junkfood more, cookies, yummy stuff and i thought for sure id get it more normally since i was eating more cals but it never came. i spotted once in feb. and took 1 test for the months that i missed [3] and they all said negative. i thought perhaps the ibs diet and my vegan diet was lacking nutrients so i had my blood levels checked over for anemia but nothing again. i was starting to think that my over-consumption of water and tea was diluting my [pee] so much that those hormones wouldnt show on a test, and that therefore i was P until yesterday night at work when out of nowhere, voila! im gonna talk about it w/my DR and figure it out. so youve missed yours for 3 months then too? are you a C?? somehow i think chronic constipation causes it b/c the organs are so close together. and plus the stress. try not to worry b/c if the tests are N you should be fine. maybe have your DR check your blood levels too?? good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#174998 - 04/29/05 07:48 AM
Kemi

wow i didnt know all of that.is mcdonalds safe to eat?i know the red meat we cant have and ice cream but what about the grilled chicken and bagels,salads?choc pudding is ok to right?i just ate a hole thing of it.uh oh!i wanted my choc!

#175160 - 04/29/05 03:58 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

im more then sure that for maintaining your ibs..mcdonalds is far from safe. especially since they cook all their food in so much grease! you lost 40 lbs? were you dieting on purpose or was that a result of being on the ibs-diet??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review