All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How can I tell if something has dairy in it?
      #174432 - 04/27/05 12:40 PM
frustrated mom

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Oklahoma

When I'm looking at a label, how do I know what ingrediants indicate dairy? I know to look for whey and casein. Are trace amounts OK, or does it vary from person to person? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can I tell if something has dairy in it? new
      #174440 - 04/27/05 12:50 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!!
Anything that says lactose or milk proteins or, like you already mentioned, whey and casein, have dairy in them. Lots of stuff I think will be safe ends up having stuff like 'skim milk powder' or 'modified milk ingredients' or something, booo.

I think that it does vary from person to person, some people claim that they can digest milk fine from time to time and some say that even trace amounts can set their tummies off.
To be on the safe side, I would avoid anything that has dairy or even that you think might but you aren't sure. While your tummy is settling down, it's best not to take the chance. If you are stable, maybe try out the stuff with trace amounts and see how you do.

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Milk Everywhere! new
      #174458 - 04/27/05 01:36 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a list somewhere that a doctor once gave me regarding things that contain milk products. In addition to casein, whey and lactose, watch out for "natural flavouring" and "carmel."

Foods that commonly contain milk products include processed meat (cold cuts), especially salami and baloney, 95 per cent of all margarines, cheese substitutes such as soya cheese and rice cheese, hotdogs and salad dressing.

Even things like raw Butterball turkey might have been injected with milk products (check the label)! I've been told many restaurants serve chicken breast that has been marinated in milk products (by the manufacturer prior to being delivered to the restaurant and cooked so the restaurant might not even be aware of it.) Other foods to watch out for include canned tuna (some brands add milk products).

Many pills contain milk products because lactose is commonly used as a binder. Until recently there wasn't a single birth control pill available on the North American market that wasn't lactose-free. I've since heard there might be a lactose-free one now available although I don't know for sure.

This is from memory. If I find the full list the doctor gave me, I will post it on this message board.

So true... new
      #174461 - 04/27/05 01:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

It's so true... milk is everywhere I'm extremely sensitive to it so I remember years ago havin to go through everything with a fine toothed comb so to speak to make sure it was dairy-free. Dairy is in so many unexpected things, as Belida said.

I have a good list of ingredients at home, so I'll post that later tonight when I go home. Remember though that not all IBS-ers are this sensitive to dairy. HOWEVER if you're just starting out it really is a good idea to cut it all out.

List posted last year- dairy 'code' words.. everyone bookmark! new
      #174462 - 04/27/05 01:43 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

OK, I read your post and remembered this post from Tarabara from almost a year ago... here is the link! Dairy words in Ingredients I don't blame you if you did do a search, I knew what I was looking for and couldn't find it at first.

--------------------
-Sheri

#174469 - 04/27/05 01:52 PM
frustrated mom

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Oklahoma

Thanks you guys....I appreciate all your support!

Calender Girls/Guys for the NOT MILK !!!calender new
      #174476 - 04/27/05 02:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

The NOT MILK calender--now there's a thought. Motto: Don't have a cow, dude!

Wind - LMAO!! -nt- new
      #174588 - 04/27/05 08:06 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

#174704 - 04/28/05 07:33 AM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

There's a great website---Steve Cowper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse--that provides comprehensive info on how to discern dairy materials in foods, medicines, etc. I've found it enormously helpful. Also, another helpful rule of thumb---foods with kosher certification will typically indicate D, Dairy, or DE (Dairy Equipment)for any trace of dairy ingredient---if there is no indication, or if it includes the word "pareve" by the certification marking, you'll know that the food item will be completely non-dairy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4341 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review