All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
caffinated teas
      #173927 - 04/26/05 01:04 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

does anyone here drink teas that do have caffiene?? i used to drink a couple but when i gave up my coffee and caffiene as an experiement, my caffinated teas went with. i have been caffiene-free for about 4.5 weeks now and was thinking of having a cup [of tea that is] just to see what happens but im really scared of what could happen more then anything i hope its just the coffee that is a trigger for me but kind of feel its caffiene all-together. any thoughts?? should i risk it?? im not all that stable now but i dont want further complications...

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Personally, I wouldn't new
      #173941 - 04/26/05 01:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

A little experimentation is ok when you're stable, but seeing as you *aren't*, I'd say you're running too high of a risk of bringing on an attack. But of course it's really up to you!

thanks! new
      #173957 - 04/26/05 01:56 PM
little bear

thanks thats exactly what i was thinking too but thought id ask for a 2nd opinion. im sure theres tons of decaf teas out there just as tasty as the ones with caffiene. ill just keep my eyes open!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Tasty herbal teas new
      #173967 - 04/26/05 02:09 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I just did a post of some teas I like. You might check it out and see if anything appeals.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

thanks! new
      #173974 - 04/26/05 02:23 PM
little bear

checked it out--thanks!! have you tried the madagascar vanilla red by celestial?? im not sure if it has caffiene or not but i saw it has rooibos [spelling?? oops!] and you mentioned it in your tea list. i would like to find a nice white tea. i had one i *LOVED* but it has caffiene oh boo! thanks again

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

No, I haven't tried the Madagascar Vanilla Red ... new
      #173977 - 04/26/05 02:28 PM
Sand

my DH actually had a box of it in his hand at the store today, but our tea cupboard is overflowing already. I'm about 99 percent sure it doesn't have caffeine.

I'm glad my suggestions helped. Happy tea-ing.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: caffinated teas new
      #173983 - 04/26/05 02:42 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Herbal teas are your friend. I think I've had 2 cups of regular tea since January. the one in February just gave me more gas (wasn't stable yet). The one I had last week (pretty stable at last) didn't bother me much at all...but I only had it because I needed a bit of a "caffeine kick".

Re: thanks! new
      #174049 - 04/26/05 05:45 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

checked it out--thanks!! have you tried the madagascar vanilla red by celestial?? this tea is one of my absolute FAVORITES!!! it's yum, yum yummy! im not sure if it has caffiene nope, no caffeine! or not but i saw it has rooibos [spelling?? oops!] and you mentioned it in your tea list. i would like to find a nice white tea. i had one i *LOVED* but it has caffiene they make decaf white tea also oh boo! thanks again

thankYoU!! new
      #174375 - 04/27/05 10:25 AM
little bear

hey thanks! i checked out the vanilla red @ the store last night and am thinking about getting it!! is it overly sweet? i tried a 'dessert tea' vanilla-hazelnut by C.S. and it was just way too much. but i think the name says it all hehe

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

I shop at Suprestore(that's Canadian)which has Vanilla Rooibos new
      #174387 - 04/27/05 10:49 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and it's delish! And actually has flavor. Hey, I'm working my way down from double esperssos!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I shop at Suprestore(that's Canadian)which has Vanilla Rooibos new
      #174394 - 04/27/05 11:11 AM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

Hi,
I'm new to the boards, but absolutely love the site, It is so full of helpful info. Haven't actually given up caffeine yet, and haven't tried the fennel tea yet either, but I just recently learned about Guarana and wondered if anyone has tried it.

#174404 - 04/27/05 11:34 AM
Sand

I had never heard of Guarana, but I did a Search on it and found a some posts about it. You can take a look at this post and this thread (read the answer, too). Based on what I'm seeing in these, I'd say avoid Guarana until you've been on Heather's diet long enough to be completely stable - and then approach with great caution. And - sob - the caffeine is almost certainly going to have to go if you want to stabilize.

HTH. Good luck and welcome to the Boards.

--------------------

Re: caffinated teas new
      #174418 - 04/27/05 12:21 PM
little bear

*totally* understandable i miss my caffiene!! but id rather be w/out it if its causing the pain! i drank this one tea...raspberry gardens green tea by C.S and i miss it so much maybe ill try some when im stable and in need of a boost! thanks!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#174419 - 04/27/05 12:23 PM
little bear

tell me about it! i have my own mr.coffee espresso machine i got for xmas which i was so excited to get so i could make my own special-safe-for-me-nonfat-soy-vanilla lattes....and now i cant drink them! grr--oh well im digging drinking just tea and i LOVE all of the new surfacing flavors im coming to find! thanks!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#174423 - 04/27/05 12:28 PM
little bear

hi! and welcome im glad youre finding this site to be helpful. what kind of IBSer are you? im a C. you know i havent heard of guarana---is it a tea? or an herb? i myself have not tried the fennel tea personally b/c it doesnt sound too appealing to my taste. i prefer the peppermint. once you give up caffiene, you'll wonder why you felt you needed it so much. good luck in doing so, its hard!! i miss my coffees i used to drink but feel that im doing a little change that will have a big impact. or at least i hope so. im still not stable but im a little bit on my way. keeping a positive attitude about it seems to help. glad to talk to yah!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

thanks for the help on guarana new
      #174428 - 04/27/05 12:37 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

Haven't tried it: haven't found it. This is what I read:
"Instead of reaching for a coffee or cigarette, it would be much better to take pure Rio Guarana, which is a natural energy promoting herb from the Amazon, which has been used for years by acupuncturists as a way to increase energy levels and release energy blocks from the body. It also improves our mental and emotional states. I have used this herb myself for years and so have many of my clients, and I find it to be one of the most profound gifts that Mother Nature has given us."
I lean more towards constipation. Caffeine hasn't actually bothered me, but stabilization is my goal.

Re: thanks for the help on guarana new
      #174430 - 04/27/05 12:40 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

A drink with guarana gave me one of the worst headaches of my life. And believe me, once you give up caffeine you will feel loads better. I sometimes have a single cup of caffeinated black tea in the fall (when I'm really stable and need a bit of something), but now I'm so unused to it that I get a buzz off of decaf black tea!

--AC

I've had Guarana... new
      #174506 - 04/27/05 03:48 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but never cued in to the gut effects, it was in college. It buzzes you up pretty bad. I would guess it's not safe.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: thankYoU!! new
      #174515 - 04/27/05 04:08 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I don't think it is. It is one of the few I actually sweeten. It think it is the best with Sugar in the Raw. I tried that vanilla-hazelnut before - blech!

Re: I've had Guarana... new
      #174904 - 04/28/05 09:27 PM
little bear

ill try to steer clear then~thanks!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review