All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
caltrate+D?
      #173732 - 04/26/05 05:51 AM
inusrat

Reged: 04/25/05

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has tried caltrate+D, and felt benifts for IBS?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: caltrate+D? new
      #173738 - 04/26/05 06:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

With a question like this, it's helpful if you say whether you're IBS-C, D, A, or P. Acually it's helpful for most questions since different suppements may affect the different sides of IBS differently.

You can do a search on "Caltrate" or more generally "calcium" and see what people have said about it. I did a bunch of research on calcium supplements a while back and here's what I came up with. The brands I list are not all the ones there are, just all the ones I considered.

calcium citrate is good if you're constipated (Citracal)
calcium carbonate is good if you have diarrhea:
Tums (but they have mineral oil)
Caltrate
OsCal
Viactiv (but most - perhaps all - flavors have dairy)

I take Tums and don't think it makes any difference one way or the other. (I'm IBS-D).

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#173853 - 04/26/05 11:31 AM
inusrat

I don't have consipation or Diarrhea. I have stools that are not well formed. Very Soft and sticky and weak.
Someone suggested caltrate + D.

#173926 - 04/26/05 01:03 PM
Sand

I'm not sure what you mean by weak, but the soft and sticky sounds like you're tending toward D. Assuming you don't have symptoms of constipation, I'd say the Caltrate is worth a try. I'm not sure if the Vitamin D will help your digestitive tract, but unless you turn out to be sensitive to it, I don't think it will hurt.

If you're not taking any calcium supplement right now, I'd advise you to start at a low dose and work up. I started with 200mg per day for 3 days, then 400mg for 3 days, and so on. You can try starting with one whole pill (I think they're 600mg?), but if you get constipated, try backing down to a half-pill for a few days.

Are you diagnosed with IBS? Are you following Heather's diet?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#174055 - 04/26/05 05:55 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I started taking Caltrate +D way before I even heard of Heather for my IBS-D...had good results. Of course, not 100%, but it was a big help.

#174073 - 04/26/05 06:28 PM
inusrat

You asked Sand "Are you diagnosed with IBS", Well I remmeber my doc saying on my last vist, that I have nothing wrong. I have post infection syndroums, and that my stomach is offset. Some time stomach is fast sometime slow. There is no medicine for that, it may come back to its normal on its own or it may not. He told me to eat fiber, avoid fat and eat small meals. So I believe in other words i have IBS but quite mild. I don't have dirrhea, just no more hard big stools. Just small soft stools, with very smooth surface. I will try calcium supplement and Caltrate + D.

Calcium Carbonate + D - mineral oil = any recommendations? new
      #209813 - 08/30/05 01:46 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for compiling this list! I've been looking for a supplement that doesn't contain mineral oil since I'm IBS-D (although I do experience the occasional C--like all last week).

I have a bottle of NatureMade Calcium w/ Vitamin D which, in addition to calcium carbonate and Vitamin D2, contains mineral oil, maltodextrin (this only bothers folks sensitive to MSG, I think) as well as glycerin and polyethelene glycol. (Aren't these last two ingredients used at stool softeners? It seems like that might be too many stool softeners...maybe it's included to offset any potentially constipating effects of the calcium.)

I know the best way to figure out something is to experiment, so I went ahead and took 1/2 tablet with lunch just to see what happens.

Really, I'd appreciate any suggestions for an IBS-D friendly supplement as I've read the ingredient lists to numerous bottles of calcium. I even went to my HSF but they only sell calcium citrate supplements. I know Caltrate + D doesn't have mineral oil, but it does contain gelatin. I'd prefer a vegan formula, but I'm considering Os-Cal 500 + D which contains oyster shell powder. I could continue to experiment, but I just don't have the money.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Calcium Carbonate + D - mineral oil = any recommendations? new
      #209877 - 08/30/05 05:29 PM
Sand

For reasons I no longer remember, I had decided to try OsCal if I ever quit taking Tums. I'll try to remember to ask my vegan friend what she takes for calcium.

--------------------

Thank you, Sand! -nt- new
      #209930 - 08/30/05 07:02 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sorry, Maria (m) new
      #210128 - 08/31/05 11:36 AM
Sand

My vegan friend doesn't take a calcium supplement, so no luck there.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review