All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how to stimulate appetite
      #173669 - 04/25/05 08:37 PM
inusrat

Reged: 04/25/05

Hi,

I don't feel hungry the way I used to because of which I lost lot of weight since i got IBS. Anyone knows any food or any other technique to stimulate appetite. I do drink lot of water and exercise, and try to eat yougurt.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how to stimulate appetite new
      #173672 - 04/25/05 08:58 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just a word of advice... yogurt isn't IBS-safe, because it's dairy, which is a major trigger food. Try soy yogurt!

I'm not sure what to suggest to stimulate appetite. I found that cooking *good* food really helped with mine - I find grilled food practically irresistable, so we ended up doing a lot of grilling, even if just on a Foreman grill. That's just an example. If there's something you find irresistable, make it IBS-safe and then make sure you always have it on hand!

Exercise outdoors - or even just being outdoors in the fresh air for an extended period of time - seemed to help me too.

#173701 - 04/26/05 02:42 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Not really foods exactly but I went through this a couple of months ago (am still on the road to recovery but getting better). The best thing I've found is to start grazing all day, in between meals. Also add food slowly. For eg. if you normally have 1/8 cup of rice with dinner bump it up to 1/4 cup for a few weeks then a bit higher. Do this with most of your foods and your appetite will come back. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

--------------------
Amy

Have you been tested for gastroparesis? new
      #173828 - 04/26/05 10:24 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

This is when the food does not empty in a timely manner. It is referred to as Delayed Gastric Emptying.

I have a very hard time eating as I get filled up really fast. Sometimes I'm filled up before I even start dinner. But I know I need the calories (plus I love the taste of food ).

I feel yucky and full and bloated before, during, and after eating. Dinner is the hardest because I have eaten all day. It seems like I am able to eat less and less. I thought this would get better, like Amy suggested increasing slowly. But after some time, seems like I can eat less.

I know Wendy can relate. I just can't resolve myself to give up food again, after being anorexic for over 15 years. Now, I just want to eat, finally!

Any suggestions?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#173856 - 04/26/05 11:32 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hmmm... it used to be hard for me to consume all of the calories I needed in the day, not it seems I can't stop eating!
I always thought that breads and stuff filled you up, but I am starting to agree that refined breads do make you more hungry, cause it seems I always am! So maybe try eating more pretzels and French bread and such? Even if you don't start eating more, at least you will be eating high calorie. The sugar in fruit may trigger you to hungry more frequently, too. I notice I stay more regular with good food choices and a healthy appetite when I stick to the many small meals a day. If I eat a large meal I really don't want to eat for a long time.
Also, ginger has been known and used to increase appetite. Also a digestive aid and good for naseau. I am sure that it doesn't to an extreme, though!
If i think of anything else, I will let you know!
i also like casey's idea of mkaing your fav moouth watering foods, you won't be able to resist!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review