All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IS Okra insoluble fiber or soluable?
      #173317 - 04/25/05 04:58 AM
inusrat

Reged: 04/25/05

Hi,

IS okra insoluble fiber or soluable. I read some articles on Okra some put it in soulable category some in insoulable.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IS Okra insoluble fiber or soluable? new
      #173330 - 04/25/05 05:44 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly, I have no idea, but when in doubt, I always assume a vegetable is insoluble, just to be on the safe side.

If I had to choose new
      #173341 - 04/25/05 06:19 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I would pick soluble. I looked too -- and most of the sites on Okra itself just listed fiber - and then might have said that insolble fiber was good for you -- or something like that. However -- the sites that listed veggies that were soluble and insoluble and broke them down -- always put okra in the soluble category. Plus - other sites said it was a soothing fiber -- which insoluble really isn't.

All of us need some insoluble fiber anyway (just in case) and okra is a wonderfully healthy veggie. Just eat it with a safe meal.

I have an article new
      #173344 - 04/25/05 06:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

by a doctor or a nutritionist that breaks down food by amount of soluble and insoluble fiber at home. I will look up okra tonight and see if that food is included on the list. If so, I'll give you the amount of soluble vs insoluble fiber tomorrow.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#173417 - 04/25/05 10:07 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

OK, to be prefectly honest I don't know what okra is

...but a good rule of thumb is that if it's mashable then it's mostly soluble. For example, cooked carrots are pretty mashable, as are cooked potatoes - but celery (mostly IF) is not mashable at all. It has something to do with the cellular make-up of the two fibers, I believe.

Hope that helps!
*runs off to google 'okra'*

Here is one chart... new
      #173485 - 04/25/05 12:12 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Fiber chart
so you can see for yourself. The trouble is that there is a lot of discrepancies from one chart to another.

My suspicion is that it is about 1/2 SF and 1/2 IF when well cooked, like oatmeal.

Kandee

--------------------

#173496 - 04/25/05 12:25 PM
inusrat

Reged: 04/25/05

Thanks for your replies. Looks like everything has much more in-soulable fiber than soulable. Probably supplements is the only way one can get soulable fiber in significant amount.

Re: Fiber charts... new
      #173563 - 04/25/05 02:03 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've run accross a few of these on the web and it seems like they all disagree as to amounts of soluble / insoluble!

I usually just go by what I know already (the basics of the diet) + the consistency of the food ("mashability" - I may have just made up that word ) and when in doubt, cook, chop, puree etc. the heck out of it.

Re: Fiber charts... new
      #173575 - 04/25/05 02:59 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I've run accross a few of these on the web and it seems like they all disagree as to amounts of soluble / insoluble!

You are so right...the trouble is there is no money in it for a food chemist to check the exact amounts....nor does the FDA care....Fiber is fiber as far as they are concerned.

I usually just go by what I know already (the basics of the diet) + the consistency of the food ("mashability" - I may have just made up that word ) and when in doubt, cook, chop, puree etc. the heck out of it. I sooo agree!

"Mashability"....LOL..love it...Actually as you know it's the ability to absorb water, with the outer skin/shell/peeling being the least soluble in it's raw form. Look at the inside of okra....I call it "slime"..that gooey stuff that is great for thickening stews and gumbos...but it's actually a soluble mucilage gum. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review