All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
NEW TO THE DIET & SUPPLEMENTS-NEED ADVICE, HELP
      #172483 - 04/22/05 04:47 AM
Robgrey

Reged: 04/19/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

HELLO, I AM NEW TO THE BOARDS AND I JUST BEGAN HEATHER'S DIET AND SUPPLEMENTS ON MONDAY OF THIS WEEK. I HAVE BEEN VERY STRICT WITH MYSELF. BASICALLY NOTHING THAT SHE SAID I SHOULDN'T HAVE, I HAVEN'T. WENT COLD TURKEY ON ALCOHOL, CAFFIENE AND SODA.ANYWAY, I NEED ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS
CONSTIPATION AS HER MAJOR ISSUE. I HAD A BOWL MOVEMENT MONDAY, TODAY IS FRIDAY AND I STILL HAVE NOT GONE TO THE BATHROOM. IS THI8 OTHERS' EXPERIENCES WHEN BEGINNING THIS DIET? HOW LONG SHOULD IT BE BEFORE I WORRY ABOUT NOT HAVING A BOWL MOVEMENT. I KNOW IT TAKES TIME AND I AM BEING PATIENT. I JUST WOULD LIKE SOME ENCOURAGEMENT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD THIS EXPERIENCE. I KNOW HEATHER SAYS IT CAN TAKE FROM A FEW DAYS TO A FEW WEEKS! I REALLY WANT TO "TAKE" SOMETHING TO MAKE ME GO, BUT I KNOW THAT IT WILL JUST START THE WHOLE VICIOUS CYCLE OF C AND THEN D AND THEN BACK AGAIN. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO, THE REASON I PROBABLY HAD A BM ON MONDAY IS BECAUSE I TOOK SOMETHING TO MAKE ME GO THE DAY BEFORE. THANKS, ROBIN

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome to the group new
      #172485 - 04/22/05 04:59 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Welcome! I know when I started I was constipated and it took a couple days before my first BM. Course I rotate from C to D depending on my body's mood. The one thing that I found that helped was taking Citricul before I ate and then sticking with Heather's diet. It has been really good in helping me reduce many of my earlier problems. For me it was a vicious cycle for the first week or so, but then it subsided. However it can be tricky around your period, so watch out. I am just dealing with that now. The board has great people who have made life so much better for me.

-Michelle

Re: NEW TO THE DIET & SUPPLEMENTS-NEED ADVICE, HELP new
      #172487 - 04/22/05 05:07 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Robin, good for you for following Heather's diet! Your constipation will ease, but it can take up to a couple of weeks. Are you on a soluble fibre supplement? It's really critical for constipation. Try acacia, benefiber, equalactin, citrucel, to name a few. Start on a VERY low dose and increase it SLOWLY to avoid pain and gas. In the meantime, drink lots of peppermint tea (it will help keep the colon relaxed = a better chance for a BM), tons of water, and get some exercise.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Welcome to the group new
      #172488 - 04/22/05 05:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi there.

As you're mostly C, you must reintoduce IF (safely) after a few days of SF foods only, so make sure you do that!

And a SFS will help too. Make sure you also get LOTS of water and keep exercising.

#172612 - 04/22/05 08:44 AM
Robgrey

Reged: 04/19/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Thanks for the three replies to my problem. I am doing all the things that three of you suggested.
I am still looking for an answer to the question:
Is it ok that I have not had a bm for nearly a week? And, if not, what should I do about it? If I take a laxative or enema, for instance, it will just set off the cycle that I am trying to get out of?
What I am wondering if anyone else experienced a long period of not going (those with primarily C) when they began the diet and supplements.
thanks. robin

#172823 - 04/22/05 07:09 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi...welcome to the boards!! I have C, but I don't remember experiencing not going for a week. Hopefully you are using a SF supplement. If you are taking a SF supplement, maybe you are not using enough and need to increase the dosage. If that doesn't help and you don't go for a few more days, then you might have to take a laxative of some kind. Ask your doctor for something mild.

Good luck!!

Carol

#172947 - 04/23/05 11:09 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Robin,

Not being a C, I'm not sure how long it has to be before you worry. I wouldn't take a laxative or enema, because that could start the cycle up again. Are you drinking enough water or getting any exercise? They can both help move things along. And, try to get some IF in ya like Linz said. That will help move things along also.

Crossing my fingers that you "go" soon!

BTW - I saw your post on the support boards, and I was going to suggest you post over here to get better response, but you obviously already did.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review