All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Do ALL SSRI's cause diarreah?
      #171642 - 04/19/05 08:18 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

My doctor has put me on Luvox but from what I've been reading SSRI's seem to cause D. He knows my system tolerates NOTHING that causes any sort of D at all and told me he'd pick one that D wasn't a side effect but I'm really confused as to whether they all cause D or just some of them?

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do ALL SSRI's cause diarreah? new
      #171661 - 04/19/05 09:46 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As far as I know, no, not all of them cause diarrhea. As with everything else, how one person's body reacts to it is completely different from someone else's reaction. Like I've said before, the Lexapro that gave me D at first has given other people C. It's completely hard to predict, so I'm guessing your doctor picked one that had the least likelihood, historically, of causing problems.

I will say this, though - even though your system doesn't tolerate anything that causes D, sticking it out and dealing with the side effects (which are temporary and do go away!) is totally worth it with SSRI's.

Good luck!

#171768 - 04/20/05 08:59 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I take Zoloft which is an SSRI and I don't have the diarrhea.
I take 75mg a day.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#171770 - 04/20/05 09:04 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I agree with what Casey said, but out of curiousity I looked Luvox up on webmd.com:

SIDE EFFECTS:
Nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, constipation, upset stomach, or dry mouth may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly.

I would recommend giving it a try and see what happens.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#171791 - 04/20/05 09:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not sure if you're C or D or A or P, but you might ask your doctor about tricyclic anti-depressants. They tend to be constipating. My Family Practitioner says she has had good luck putting IBS-D patients on Elavil, although it didn't work for me (I'm D).

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#171799 - 04/20/05 09:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree with Casy! Not everyone reacts the same to SSRI's as far as the side effects go and they are so worth it if you can stick it out for a while. I was on Wellbutrin and thought it might be making my C worse so I swicthed to Lexapro. I'm back on Zoloft for other reasons now but give it some time. Remember, they have to list anything anyone ever got while taking a drug. Thats why a lot of drugs list BOTH C and D as a side effect!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I agree too! new
      #171816 - 04/20/05 10:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Remember that on those long lists of side effects, they have to list all reported effects, even tho they might not even have been directly due to the drug!

And everyone reacts differently...my docs gave my Elavil for my sleep and it gave my insomnia!

Btw, I'm on Celexa and have had no D on it AT ALL.

Thanks guys.... new
      #172019 - 04/20/05 07:53 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've taken 2 and so far so good. Not enjoying the dry mouth much but I can hanle almost any side effect in the world except chest pain (too scary) and more D! My doc said this was one of the one's most likely NOT to cause D so hopefully I'll be okay.
I've tried 3 ad's in the past and can't seem to take any of them for various reasons so my GP decided these might be helpful.
Thanks for the advice

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1002

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review