All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
It's popular with me, Linz! new
      #171826 - 04/20/05 10:44 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to create another situation like are most recent one.

I back you up 100%!

BTW, all this worrying about what else I have is driving me crazy as well. But in my case, the diet hasn't helped so there probably are other things going on.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi, im a newbie and I dont know if I belong here!!!! new
      #171854 - 04/20/05 11:26 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm glad I could be of some help!

Best wishes!

Re: Augie new
      #171860 - 04/20/05 11:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so sorry you still haven't found relief. Just remember there always doesn't HAVE to be soemthing else wrong just because the diet doesn't work well for you. The diet only helps me minimumally also and I've had every test done and then some, including ALL the female stuff checked out very carefully by a RE (reproductive endocronologist) and they keep telling me "its JUST IBS." I really HATE when they phrase it like that but I guess I'm thankfully there isn't anything life threatening wrong! I know somedays I too, am in so much pain that I think "there HAS to be something else wrong with me" but for over 18 years of testing and more doctors than I can count,they haven't found anything else.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Well, I do know I have.. new
      #171867 - 04/20/05 11:47 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

delayed gastric emptying, a non functioning gallbladder, and positive gluten antibodies. But I don't know if it is the causing the IBS or if I just have those conditions and NOT IBS. One doc told me to eat gluten and I have IBS. The other told me to eat GF and I don't have IBS.

That is why I am confused. And even with the above conditions, no one tells me how to treat them. Again, I know I need a new doctor, but after my past experiences I'm trying to self diagnose and still can't give up the search for other possibilities since the one doc told me he does't think I even have IBS???

Maybe it is all due to my past Eating Disorder. But they can't even tell me that! I'm too complex a case I guess. So I continue the search for answers on my own, and my life passes me by.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I assume this is it... new
      #171869 - 04/20/05 11:52 AM
meenieme

Reged: 04/18/05

I had a grandmother who died of stomach cancer (she was 84 though) so that was a concern for me. I was sure it was my gallbladder for a long time because my pains always start in my right upper abdoman with the back pain at the same time. I would hope your pain would have worsened or some other symptom would have come along if it's C or some such thing. I'm going to keep on the diet and see if it helps long term, I usually get about 2 weeks between attacks, then spend the next 4-6 days feeling cruddy. I haven't gotten my book yet (it's in the mail) but I'm going on what I've found here as safe to eat and got me some peppermint tea, been good so far. man I hope I don't have to give up cheese though......

Re: Well, I do know I have.. new
      #171892 - 04/20/05 12:55 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had my gallbladder out and it hasn't change anything other than now I have GERD when I never did before?!! I know its so frustrating when event the dr's can't give us a straight answer. Keep trying new dr's until you find one that you like. Hang in there sweetie!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: I'm afraid to have to say this... new
      #171916 - 04/20/05 01:25 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with Linz that stressing out can be a major trigger for IBS and you'd probably feel better if you could relax a little.

At the same time, I think running around looking for answers, worrying about it being something worse, almost hoping it is because maybe then it will be curable, not wanting to hear that you have IBS, picking out all the symptoms you have that just don't quite fit, not wanting to hear you need more tests, etc., etc., etc., may be an inescapable stage in the process of accepting the diagnosis of IBS and getting on with what needs to be done. It's been a long time since I've read Kubler-Ross' work, but I think this pattern would fit into denial sliding into anger. When I was doing it, I called it "churning" and it didn't end because I was suddenly definitively convinced I truly did have IBS - I just wore myself out and decided, what the heck, I'm so sick and miserable now, I'll assume I have IBS and give Heather's plan a try.

I think a colonoscopy is a good idea, although the odds are that if you had colon cancer for the past year plus, you'd know it by now. If I were you I'd do it because it would give me more peace of mind but you know best whether this would be the case for you.

I would like to ask you one question and I do not mean to be rude by asking it: Your English is excellent, but is English your first language?

BTW, interesting Board name. Mine's short for "Cassandra", although that isn't my name.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Augie: "Courage my Love" new
      #171926 - 04/20/05 01:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Colonoscopy.... new
      #172015 - 04/20/05 07:41 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I had one done about 2 months ago. This is the ONLY procedure pretty much that can rule out bowel cancer. No it is not fun but it's not the end of the world. I was terrified of having it done and as a result put it off 3 times before I was brave enough to go through with it. Once it was over I wondered what I'd been so worried about! The prep is pretty horrible. It gives you watery D but there was no pains in the belly with it for me. The actual procedure I don't remember anything after the anathestist saying "see you when you wake up" and that was it. In fact the most traumatic part for me was finding out I just had IBS! Please, don't be scared to have more testing done. None of it is fun but the majority of it is really nothing at all but a couple of wasted hours out of your day. And it is important to rule out other possibilities. Especially if it doesn't seem like IBS to you.

--------------------
Amy

Re: I'm afraid to have to say this... new
      #172035 - 04/20/05 10:15 PM
ottoman

Reged: 04/19/05

Quote:

I agree with Linz that stressing out can be a major trigger for IBS and you'd probably feel better if you could relax a little.

At the same time, I think running around looking for answers, worrying about it being something worse, almost hoping it is because maybe then it will be curable, not wanting to hear that you have IBS, picking out all the symptoms you have that just don't quite fit, not wanting to hear you need more tests, etc., etc., etc., may be an inescapable stage in the process of accepting the diagnosis of IBS and getting on with what needs to be done. It's been a long time since I've read Kubler-Ross' work, but I think this pattern would fit into denial sliding into anger. When I was doing it, I called it "churning" and it didn't end because I was suddenly definitively convinced I truly did have IBS - I just wore myself out and decided, what the heck, I'm so sick and miserable now, I'll assume I have IBS and give Heather's plan a try.

I think a colonoscopy is a good idea, although the odds are that if you had colon cancer for the past year plus, you'd know it by now. If I were you I'd do it because it would give me more peace of mind but you know best whether this would be the case for you.

I would like to ask you one question and I do not mean to be rude by asking it: Your English is excellent, but is English your first language?

BTW, interesting Board name. Mine's short for "Cassandra", although that isn't my name.

Sand, thanks for your reply. I am originally Turkish but grew up in Switzerland and went to an english school.
I also thought that in my case the colonoscopy would be in order to ease my worries but the reason why I still hesitate is because I know myself and even if I end up being reassured, it will only last a short while!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5068 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24699

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review