Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just called the doc...
      #171348 - 04/19/05 08:12 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi everyone.
I'll cross post this in the Crohn's board, but wanted your thoughts too. I just called my GI because I woke up in the middle of the night last night with horrible bloating and pain in the area of my tummy, about two inches below and about two inches above my bellybutton. I've managed to pass some gass, which has helped, but when I had one small BM this morning it was VERY painful and half there was blood mixed in the pooh - more blood than from hems, I think (also my hems have not been acting up recently, so I don't think that's it). It feels like a partial obstruction caused by inflamation, but I don't have a fever, so maybe not. The bloating and pain thing has happened before, but it usually resolves itself given some time, and the blood made me worry, so I called the doc. I talked with the nurse and she said they may want me to come in later today. She also talked about putting me on prednisone - joy. I'm sitting here stewing because part of me thinks I should have never called because I probably could have done a liquid diet for a couple days and this would go away (whatever it is) and then I could go on with my life without having to go on more meds with awful side effects. But then again I know that leaving it alone could make it worse - whether its in the short or the long run that it would occur. I hate this and my head just gets so balled around it till I get way too stressed and that makes things worse - I know it does, but I can't seem to help it. I'm at work right now (even though I feel like doo-doo) and I'm trying to concentrate on stuff here so I won't think about this, but then my tummy rolls over again and the pain gets bad and I can't ignore it for a bit - I guess that was when I came in to post. Thanks for listening, though. Right now I'm having some tea, doing some reading, and waiting to see if the doctor calls back and wants me to make an appointment. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for any advice or encouragement.
Min

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

{{{hugs}}} new
      #171364 - 04/19/05 08:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

ALWAYS better safe than sorry, esp. with IBDs. It could be that you've got a fissure instead of hemms, but that's something your doc can check for. I assume he'd check you out thoroughly before giving you the Pred anyway as it's such a nasty drug.

Good luck!

Re: Just called the doc... new
      #171369 - 04/19/05 08:35 AM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

Aw Min,
No doubt, that's just plain scary. And you are doing the right thing by going in ASAP. (even though I know what ya mean about the pred, I just got off myself and hope I never have to take it again) Please keep us informed and I hope you get in today...

Update... new
      #172242 - 04/21/05 01:08 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi everyone.
So I really guess I just got myself worked up over nothing earlier this week. I talked to my doctor a few hours after I posted, and yes, off I went to the hospital. I got to his office and was in HORRIBLE pain when he pushed on my stomach, but then soon afterwards, I managed to go again and he said that meant that if I did have any narrowing, it wasn't anything significant. He ordered blood work and told me to take stool softeners and extra gass-ex for the next few days and to stay on an easy diet. He said he didn't think I was obstructed, and maybe just a bit constapated - I don't know about that though because I've honestly never gone a day in my life without going pooh at least once - usually three or four times! He was seeing me in between patients with scheduled appointments that day, and he offered me to either go to another doc for more tests or to go home and see how I felt after some rest and meds - I hate hospitals and don't like seeing doctors I don't know, so I took option 2. Went home, took a bath, lied on my couch while hubby played with my hair. I ate apple sauce that night and even managed a few bites of pasta at dinner time. And like I said, I guess I over-reacted because amazingly, I slept through the night and I felt, really, 100% better the next day. My doctor called to check on me in the afternoon and we decided to wait and reevaluate at my next scheduled appointment in a week and a half from now, unless things get bad again before that. So yesterday I managed to eat pretty much normally and I felt pretty good. Today tummy's been a bit rumbly and I was bleeding again when I went pooh, but it was just a tiny bit. So I guess I'm on the mend. Docs are still talking though about another course of prednisone, and that doesn't make me happy, but hopefully I can get better tests soon to figure out something more concrete. Is it strange that I really do want to swallow a load of barium and see what they will tell me from watching it move through my small intestine? I really do want to know if there's any inflamation in there. Okay, I've rambled way too long here, just to tell everyone that I'm doing much better.

Hope things are getting better for others too!

Min

Re: Update... new
      #172306 - 04/21/05 02:51 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

So glad to hear you're doing better! Hope that keeps up.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 962 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 467

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review