All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ATTN C'rs!! I found an awesome fiber!!!
      #171127 - 04/18/05 08:35 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I have tried so many fibers and none really seem to do much for me. I did a websearch and found this stuff called fiberklenz plus. It has both soluble and insoluble fiber and one dose is 14 grams!! I have been taking it now for about 4 days before bed (cause of bloat) but every morning now I have been pooping logs!!! Oh my god, I can't remember the last time I had a log without a laxative or something. The link is www.fiberklenzplus.com if anyone wants to check it out. Augie?? Maybe you should try it since we both seem to be in the same boat. I will keep you all posted!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Few questions b/c this stuff sounds like the "magic" fiber new
      #171143 - 04/18/05 08:54 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi Jessica,
How funny, I've never heard the "log" term before but it'd be great to have one again daily.... I can feel your excitement and would love to have the same experience!

1]Is this stuff causing you to feel bloated and that's why you take it at bedtime? Or is it that you are bloated anyway, so it's most comfortable to wait until bedtime to take this new fiber, in order to not cause worse daytime bloating than you already have?

2]Does it cause you to feel cramps or bloating at night that prevent you from sleeping soundly?

3]Does it cause more gas than the usual amount you had before you started using it?

4]How soon after you awaken does it work?

5]Do you have to do or take anything else in order to have your "log" or just use this stuff?

6]How often did you have a BM before you started using this stuff?

Txs in advance for answering these ???s.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

It's all the harsher SFSs and some IF... new
      #171237 - 04/19/05 03:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...which could be good for C's. Fyi, Kandee takes psyllium to keep her going, but has to take it before bed b/c of the bloating.

lithelady....psyllium (and to a lesser extent inulin) are SFSs that cause bloating. The IF would also cause bloating.

Re: Few questions b/c this stuff sounds like the "magic" fiber new
      #171303 - 04/19/05 07:12 AM
jessica28

1. I'm always bloated, so I just don't want to feel even more bloated, so I'm taking it before bed.
2. No cramps or anything, I still sleep soundly.
3. I'm not having any extra gas really than I usually have.
4. After I wake up, I usually have some tea or something and about an hour later I go.
5. I haven't taken anything else to help the "log", it just seems to make me go the next morning.
6. I would usually go about 2, maybe 3 times a week, but nothing very much would come out. I would take alot of magnesium sometimes to help me go.

I just woke up now, so we'll see what happens! I'll let you know how it goes, if it stays consistent, etc.

Jessica

Good for you Jessica! new
      #171308 - 04/19/05 07:24 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Unfortunately, it contains Oat which is not safe for me on a gluten free diet. At least that's what I believe, as there is some controversy on this. It must be very pure, if I would try it at all.

Maybe Kandee can advise???

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Txs for replies re: "magic" fiber new
      #171606 - 04/19/05 06:29 PM
lithelady

Very helpful answers Jessica. Plz keep posting as to how well this fiber continues to work for you. I'm really hopeful that it continues to do the job permanently b/c then it'll be worth the expense. Since each bag of acacia lasts one month for me at a dose of 12gms/day, your fiber is FOUR times the price of acacia for a month's supply.

Also, I've gotten my bloating under a moderate degree of good control, so I'm most interested in knowing if this new fiber causes your bloating to increase as you continue to use it over the next few weeks.

Few other questions:
1]how much magnesium were you taking per day, at what time[s] of day and for how many weeks/months?

2]Did you find that these Mg doses would make your stool softer [ie: it would increase your BM's water content] and also increase your colon's peristalsis strength or frequency, so you would have more frequent BMs?

I'm asking this b/c there are 2 aspects of diarrhea: increased stool water content and increased stool frequency. These both occur together when diarrhea is due to an infectious cause, but with large amounts of magnesium, I've not been able to find anything in writing that describes:

a)whether Mg causes both of these aspects of diarrhea to occur and

b)how long after taking Mg before its laxative effect kicks into action.

Lastly, I'm curious if you were able to difinitively tell in what ways Mg affected your BM? I've have never been able to figure out if taking Mg upon arising in the AM helps me to have a BM that AM or not, since my BMs are so irregular.

Thanks again! Joanne

--------------------

nice posting new
      #171625 - 04/19/05 07:31 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

After all the bruhaha (is that how you spell it? is there a proper spelling?) that has been going on lately, I just want to say this is a great thread. I'm not C and I'm off fiber right now, but this thread is what this board is all about -- intelligent questions and cogent answers. I am totally sympathetic with newbies who are frustrated and depressed with their condition and who ask repetitive questions, and I think instead of lashing out at such posters we need to set great examples of how this board works. Nice job, ladies.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Txs for replies re: "magic" fiber new
      #171774 - 04/20/05 09:09 AM
jessica28

Hi! This first bottle I bought was on sale for $25, so not too bad, but yes, more expensive. The magnesium came from this stuff called Oxypowder, if you do a search on here, you will find some discussions on it. Or go to oxypowder.com as well. I would take about 4 pills every other day, which was like 3000 mg or something crazy. If I take that or other magnesium on an empty stomach, it works usually in 3 hours or so, otherwise like 12. It would just make my BM's more watery, but not really "running" to get to the bathroom. That stuff is so high in Mag., but it does help. I would just rather take something like fiber to make me go, it makes me feel safer. Although, my doctor saw the bottle of Oxypowder and okayed it. The bloating has gone down with the fiber. Right when I drink the stuff I feel full, but an hour later I"m okay. Just better to take when you haven't just eaten a meal or something. By the morning I feel normal too. As far as the mag., I think Mag. is definitely more of a stool softener than anything. I hope I answered your questions. By the way, I had a log this morning

Jessica

AmandaPanda new
      #171775 - 04/20/05 09:10 AM
jessica28

Thanks, appreciate that!

How are the "logs" doing? new
      #173921 - 04/26/05 12:49 PM
lithelady

Hi Jessica,
Txs VERY much for your reply on 4/20, sorry I haven't been able to get back to you till now. Mag info was most helpful.

How's it going with the daily "logs"?

Has the bloating due to this magic fiber cont'd to decrease?

Did you start taking 14 gms per PM dose from the first day of using it? Wonder if starting at a lower dose might help to prevent the bloat?

--------------------

Re: nice posting new
      #173928 - 04/26/05 01:04 PM
lithelady

Appreciate the compliment very much, glad to know that my questions and Jessica's replies are useful to others.

Must admit that I feel like I have an advantage since I'm an MD, so naturally, I think that this board's most useful purpose is to educate people, including MDs!

I've certainly read far more often than I've posted and by doing so, I've learned so much about how to help patients as well as myself.

In fact, I'm now moving forward to focus the majority of my clinical work on this disorder. This board has helped me to understand how much there's a need for more enlightened MDs, who are able to treat this disorder both knowledgeably as well as with patience and empathy.

Having this disorder myself has certainly forced me to grow in both of these "virtues" and they were definitely not instilled in me by most of my medical profs. I also believe that it helps to be female, with all due respect to the men on this board. In general - of course there are always exceptions---- these "virtues" are so much more instinctive for females! Sure hope this doesn't set off another brouhaha.

--------------------

Re: ATTN C'rs!! I found an awesome fiber!!! new
      #173970 - 04/26/05 02:16 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

wow---that sounds great but is way expensive howd you come across it? are you still taking the miralax and the acacia too?? youre so lucky to be feeling better!!! keep me posted

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: How are the "logs" doing? new
      #174153 - 04/26/05 08:44 PM
jessica28

Hi! Actually, I'm doing good. I've had a log every day now, except one day, just a little bit came out. I"m not bloated anymore from it. I started at a half dose for the first week and now I'm up about a dose and 1/2 and I'm going pretty good.

#174154 - 04/26/05 08:47 PM
jessica28

Is this you Ashley? Yes, I've found this stuff and it's great. It's costing me $32 a bottle with tax, but it is worth it. One bottle is good for about a month. I'm not taking the acacia anymore and the miralax I"m still taking, but only half the amount. It helps to get things sliding a bit more. But the fiber I'm using has made a HUGE (no pun intended) difference. THe miralax alone just doensn't cut it for me. Stay in touch and hope you are doing better.

Jessica

yes its ashley new
      #174189 - 04/27/05 12:11 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey yah this is ashley im so glad to hear of your good luck with your new fiber!! it sounds interesting and im kind of tempted. i bet that with acacia would be great!! i think ill just stick with acacia for now b/c im still far from stable and couldnt aford to have bad luck with a new product thanks for hoping ill feel better i already do!! later~

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#175307 - 04/30/05 11:20 AM
lithelady

Thanks for the update re:logs.

How much Miralax are you taking daily now? Doesn't it cause you to be gassy? If not now, did it originally cause gas? How long have you been on it?

If I understand correctly, you didn't improve on the miralax combined with acacia? How much of each did you get up to taking before you changed over to the fiberklenz? Were you also following HVV's diet then and now?

Thanks again Jessica, your replies are really helpful.

--------------------

#175344 - 04/30/05 03:07 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hey Jessica,
I went to the site for fiberKlenz and in the process of ordering it did not look secure. Do you know if it is a secure site or is there anywhere else to get it? Thanks Kate

#175367 - 04/30/05 04:35 PM
jessica28

I'm not really sure, although I've ordered it twice and haven't had any problems. If you go on the website there is an email address for them, so maybe you can email them and they have an 800 number?

Jessica

#175370 - 04/30/05 04:37 PM
jessica28

I'm still taking one dose of miralax in the morning. It's never really made me gassy and I've been taking it since October 2004. I wouldn't say I stritcly adhere to Heather's Diet. I tried to keep up on my soluble/insoluble fiber foods though. I was taking up to the max, 3 tbl per day of Acacia and it didn't do anything really for me, but did cause more gas. I hope this helps!

Jessica

#175394 - 04/30/05 07:00 PM
lithelady

Thanks Jessica. Hmmmm, now I'm wondering if the acacia is the cause of my extreme gas sxs. I'm going to try cutting back on how much I take and see what happens. Really happy that the logs keep coming!

--------------------

Update on the logs... new
      #175485 - 05/01/05 10:37 AM
jessica28

The last couple days haven't been as great. I've still had a BM, but not the big logs though...it's still coming out so I guess I can't get too depressed. I'll keep you posted!

getting back to "logs"... new
      #175489 - 05/01/05 10:54 AM
lithelady

Yup, stay positive as worrying about it will only cause you to become more "bunged"! I love this word, just learned it from Shannon. So much cuter than what I was saying...."all backed up". So now I have 2 new words, one from each of you.

What else do think you have you done differently over past few days that might be causing you to become more bunged and thus slowing down the logs??? Time to put on the good ole thinking cap. I'm betting you'll be able to figure this out and then the logs will start coming again.

--------------------

Re: getting back to "logs"... new
      #175556 - 05/01/05 05:01 PM
jessica28

When I think if it, I've noticed that the last couple mornings I wasn't getting the good logs, the night before when I took the fiber I was taking it on a more full stomach. I think it works alot better when you don't have much in your belly. It still works, but not the good logs I desire. I like bunged too, cool word! Thanks!

Jessica

Good thinking! new
      #175902 - 05/02/05 04:06 PM
lithelady

Jess,
Your logic sounds good to me ie: taking the fiberklenz on an empty stomach helping to create better logs.

Makes sense that this stuff is creating a "bolus" when it's taken alone. Then this SFS/IF bolus pushes everything else in front of it along faster and voila, you get a good log the next AM!

Looking forward to your next log update; hope they're rolling out of you again soon!

--------------------

How are the logs doing? new
      #187894 - 06/21/05 01:33 PM
lithelady

Hi Jess,
I'm checking back to find out how it's been going for past month with the fiberklenz? How are you doing overall?

Really hope that you're still on this board. I know people come and go. J

--------------------

Re: How are the logs doing? new
      #187952 - 06/21/05 04:17 PM
jessica28

Actually, I stopped taking it for awhile because it was making me so full feeling...I since have had some tests and been put on zelnorm. I'm still pooping, but NO logs...so,now I am slowly mixing the fiberklenz back in little bits at a time, because I know that will bulk things up again. I was taking such huge doses at a time, which I'm sure made me so full. Now I'm sprinking a little on my cereal and taking a little before bed. So, it's only been a couple days, but I'm sure once I get back to the full dose the logs will come back. The zelnorm makes my poop pretty runny! Thanks for thinking of me! How are you?

Jessica

#188021 - 06/21/05 07:59 PM
lithelady

Glad to know that you're still on this site. It's nice that we've both added our pics since we last "talked". You sure look like you have a super tan and are very pretty!

I was always surprised that you said that the fiberklenz didn't cause you to be bloated. But now I'm thinking that what I call "bloat" [ie: significant distention with anything from discomfort to outright pain] you call "filling full". Or do you mean "no appetite" when you write this?

Anyway, I'm having my normal good and bad days, about 50/50 every week. I just can't seem to get stabilized and become pain free, even after being on this diet rigidly for several months.

Do you follow this diet and/or use acacia? I posted earlier today to ask if others with C-IBS had had increased gas and bloat with the acacia. I haven't had any replies yet.

I get sooo tired of this problem and somedays, when I have alot of pain or bloating/distention, I get very discouraged. Do you have pain? Get "down"? Joanne

--------------------

#188225 - 06/22/05 09:02 AM
jessica28

Hi! Thanks for the compliment.. That was actually a picture from my wedding in Cancun in March! When I say full, I mean, no appetite with too much of the fiber...any fiber for that matter. I don't get much pain very often, just mostly the bloating, no energy, and feeling like a stuffed pig. Eating smaller portions definitely helps. It's very frustrating...some people I know think I'm just an hypochondriac...they just don't get it.

Jessica

I agree that others don't get it about how incapacitating this constipation can be... new
      #189700 - 06/27/05 09:08 PM
lithelady

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. I had a run of a few really bad days of pain and never got online. Then over the weekend I had a bunch of catching up to do, so also never got online b/c I needed to stay focused in case the pain started up again, b/c once it does I can't concentrate well at all.

I know what you mean about friends not understanding. It does seem to me that ever since I started having bad pain this past year, my friends are more empathetic but also more frightened by my problem. How did you find a man who was able to understand and accept this problem and your living on the IBS diet? You are soooo fortunate!

How's it going on the fiberklenz at this point? Ay logs again?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5258

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review