All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Steph new
      #171187 - 04/19/05 12:41 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Volatile, I had IBS since I was a kid and those days we never heard of IBS. The doctors just gave us medicines, we felt better and started all over again. It is only now since May 2004 that my doctor finally told me I have IBS and after much searching I found this forum. I am 58 yrs. now and since then I am looking at all the recipes and trying them out but sometimes something goes wrong. I am IBS-D and while the 'D' has stopped, I still have a bloated stomach. I read in another forum that I should not drink water in between meals and to wait for an hour before I drink water. This has helped me a bit. I take Eplayzme syrup in the morning which aids digestion. I am told to sleep on my stomach to get the bloating down. I know that some day all this will not worry me so much. You too will have to be patient and continue to use the recipes on the board. You will get there but please dont blame anyone as differenct people respond differently. Getting agitated could make you feel worse. Try doing some tummy exercises.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Volatile new
      #171192 - 04/19/05 01:35 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I have not read all the responses to this so excuse me if I repeat anything.
Have you tried taking gas x regulary. I had to take if for about four days before my bloat started to go. After a month it was gone and I was able to back off on the gas x from 6 to 8 tablets a day to 2 to 4 a day.
Just a thought.

Here is another thought
We are here to help, BUT you need to calm down adn show a little more respect for everyone. We all have this you are not the only one.We support each other through times like this on these boards we do not attack each other.
I hope your feeling better soon.

--------------------
Heather7476

Wowee Dalia! new
      #171210 - 04/19/05 03:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can we all come have therapy at your place? You are soooo sorted. Love ya!

PS. Still off the sugar! I relapsed at the w/e and felt AWFUL. Si's now stopping me eating it even when I want to as he doesn't like a grumpy wife.

Re: Volatile... new
      #171252 - 04/19/05 03:53 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I had another thought -- a lot of places will put dairy in their turkey lunchmeat. I read the package in my store. You may need to stick to chicken breast instead for your sandwich. Maybe that will help. Dairy is a big trigger for gas & bloating. You also could try using a digestive enzyme to help. It doesn't mean that you can eat the things that are bad like dairy and fatty foods -- but it does mean that what you do eat will be better digested by your body. The one I take also has a gas fighting ingedient in it. It's called Digest Support. I actually take two pills twice a day --- I take it with lunch and supper -- but they suggest taking two pills a day and you could take one pill with lunch and one with supper... or one with each meal. Just don't try and break the rules because you are taking them. It won't make it okay to eat dairy products for example. Here's a link that talks about them. I order mine off the internet because I live in a small town - but you may be able to find it.

http://www.natrol.com/products/product.php?sku=885

Re: Wowee Dalia! new
      #171261 - 04/19/05 04:36 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Linz you are so cute! Congrats on the sugar thing...I had a half a bar of dark chocchie yesterday and feel like CRAP!!!! It was yummy though...My husband doesn't like me cheating on food because he knows it makes me moody too - but hey, we have to eat the naughty stuff once in a while eh?
XXXX Dalia

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Volatile new
      #171277 - 04/19/05 05:58 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

In reading your original post and some of your responses I am not sure that IBS/Bloat is your primary issue here. IBS is a pain...I too am thin and hate to be bloated but instead of becoming angry (your nik alone is somewhat scary) and lashing out at the very community that will rally around you and do their best to help you should look within yourself and see if IBS is the only problem.

You mention running two miles...your body...etc. etc. Is self-image the culprit here? It seems that IBS is not the ONLY thing getting you down.

Take time to be still and listen to your body mind and spirit...if you have God in your life pray. I have had IBS for over 20 years and Heathers diet does not work for me but it works for plenty of others. I have learned to identify trigger foods and don't eat them, I eat little yeast or refined sugar and I do very well. I am a strong believer in God and my faith has seen me through the worse times.

What I don't do is spend a lot of time belly-aching (no pun intended)and I press on to living a lifestyle where I can eat without pain. I hope that you can do the same. I am sorry that you are hurting and bloating...look to YOUR cure, you can do it!

--------------------
"puffy"

Ruchie, you are so good for my self-esteem! new
      #171315 - 04/19/05 07:33 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I love you, sweetie!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Casey (Atomic Rose) - Thanks. -nt- new
      #171333 - 04/19/05 07:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Just as a point of reference new
      #171423 - 04/19/05 10:57 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I empathize with your frustration. And as many have said...we've been there. For once, you're encoutered a group who actually understands, so you don't have to prove your pain here. We know...

I've been on this diet for only about a month, and I it hasn't been perfect yet, but it's been so much better. It was a gradual thing, so have patience. I just got back from visiting several colleges, so I thought some things I experiences might help you...

Regarding the turkey sandwich...
I have been eating turkey sandwiches at home, on my bread, with my turkey, etc. with no problem. I chose that as a "safe food" while traveling and had problems with it several places. I was fairly pro-active, asking questions and such, but sometimes it is very hard to find the people who really knew the answers. The turkey might have dairy injected in it, the bread might be made with milk, or brushed with butter. Those are all things that it is *so* hard to know. Just because I can buy turkey and sourdough, or french bread that is safe, doesn't mean that *all* turkey or bread is safe.

The same is true with the bagel. I eat Pepperidge Fram Bagels, and they are safe for me. I ate a bagel (plain, no crazy flavors, no cream cheese, no butter or anything) at a "continental breakfast buffet" type place, and was instantly bloated. Those bagels obviously weren't safe for me. Lesson learned, but that doesn't mean that I can never eat bagels again. Just that I need to be able to read the ingredients, before I decide if the bagel is safe for me.

I also ate chicken teriyaki this weekend, because I know that teriyaki sauce is generally fate free (and fat is a big trigger for me). The sauce was fine, and the rice was fine, but at this restruant, the chicken was cooked using butter, and the waitress didn't know this. Enter the diarrhea and bloating.

As you can see, even when you make the best choices you can, things can still slip by, which would explain your symptoms. As for eating at a college cafeteria, the best advice I know is to try dry cereal. Most cafs have big dispensors of name brand cereal (clearly labeled) so you can look the ingredients of that brand of cereal up online and make clearer decisions about whether or not they are safe. As a warning, General Mills has now switched so that all their cereals are whole grain, so avoid those until you know if it is a trigger. Kellogs, Post, and other cereals are safer. Choose cereals such as Rice Krispies, Corn Pops etc. Stay away from anything called "bran" or anything with dried fruit, as that is also harder to digest.

So colleges have sandwich bars, with the bread still in the bags, so you could read the ingredients, but yours may not.

Another thing that is *generally* safe is a truly plain baked potato. If it is wrapped into alluminium, and not split open yet, it is a safe bet that no butter or other trigger has been stuffed in. Peal off the skin and just eat the white part.

Also, you may want to avoid the veggies until you are more stable. Also, the "berry" type of fruits. Bananas, applesauce, potatoes, sweet potatoes, are better choices.

Good luck with this, I know it can be hard. I'm just starting myself. But, be patience, and try not to alienate the truly wise people on the board here. This is probably your best resource, and offending people here puts you in a bad place.

Thanks to all of you out there....I don't know what I would do without you....

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

LOL!! new
      #171468 - 04/19/05 12:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just noticed this post... hey, it made me crack up! Now I'm visualizing mushroom clouds coming out of the top of my head... which is pretty much how I FELT anyway! Heh.

Thanks for the giggle!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review