All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Naltrexone
      #170665 - 04/17/05 06:02 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hello to everyone - I received an email from a doctor at MAYO clinic about studies being done on Naltrexone. Unfortunately, the studies did not show any positive results regarding its affects on IBS. I am very disappointed about this result, and I thought I'd share the information with you all. I wish you all the best.

-Alisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bummer.... new
      #170685 - 04/17/05 07:34 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I was all excited thinking that they'd finally found something that was maybe going to help us. Oh, well, back to hoping they find something else. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Amy

This is horrible news new
      #170691 - 04/17/05 07:46 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I really thought the studies were going well. That's all I've been reading is how this drug has shown promising results for IBS. What happened? Are you positive about this? What about all the positive study reports?

Now what? We sit in pain and wait more years for the next study to be done which will take years, followed by 5 years for approval? What is so hard about finding a drug that can bring some quality of life to those of us who suffer with unbarable pain and symptoms?

This is very disappointing. The thought that this drug was going to be available was helping to keep me going.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

bump for others-nt new
      #170770 - 04/18/05 06:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Naltrexone new
      #170798 - 04/18/05 08:15 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

This is awful news! I was really hoping this drug was going to help! I thought the info I found on it was pretty hopeful, what exactly did the mayo dr's say? Is there some general info you can post as to why it doesn't look good now? Did the dr's give you any alternative treatments? I've been following your posts closely and was really hoping this was going to be a good drug for us!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Naltrexone new
      #170970 - 04/18/05 03:28 PM
Alisa

Hi Michele,

I posted another message about Naltrexone. I know nothing about the studies, and the doctor did not tell me anything about the results. I have received no alternative treatment advice except attending a three-week and two-week long pelvic floor retraining program and pain rehabilitation program at MAYO clinic over the summer for approximately $6,000. I'm not so sure I want to spend that kind of money...but if it means relief from this misery...who knows. I guess we just have to be on the look-out for other drugs or options.

-Alisa

Re: This is horrible news new
      #170971 - 04/18/05 03:36 PM
Alisa

Hi Beth,

I know this news is awful. I was crushed when I read the email from the doctor (which was only a sentence long, so I don't know anything about the studies). All she said was that the studies revealed no positive results or affects on IBS pain. That's all I know. There are always other drugs being tested, though, so we have to hope that one of them will work or some other kind of treatment will help. Please do not be too discouraged about this. There's always hope. For now, we just have to be supportive of each other and share our successes and trials to try to control our IBS. I know this is hard - I'm having a rough time of it this week. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

-Alisa

Re: Bummer.... new
      #170972 - 04/18/05 03:38 PM
Alisa

Hi Amy,

I know this is disappointing. I'm not giving up hope, though! There are always other drugs and other treatments out there...we just have to find them. I hope you're feeling alright.

-Alisa

Thanks Alisa. new
      #171139 - 04/18/05 08:47 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm hanging in there. Still feeling sick most of the time and very frustrated with everything about food but trying to stay sane I never give up hope that they'll find something either, or at least that my doctor will stumble across something that's right for me. Hope you are feeling better too.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Thanks Alisa. new
      #171384 - 04/19/05 09:00 AM
Alisa

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Yesterday was rough for me, and we are having a major change in the weather since spring is here. That spells trouble for my fibromyalgia and my IBS pain. I'm feeling a little better today, but as the day progresses I usually get worse. I hope you are feeling better today. I know dealing with such frustrating pain is hard...help has got to be out there somewhere.

-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8636 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1765

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review