All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tofu
      #170625 - 04/17/05 03:58 PM
Saje

Reged: 12/08/04
Loc: Canada

Can tofu be a trigger? I love eating it but I almost always get urgent, watery D (sorry) right after eating it. Could it be the fat level? I know it has a lot of fat but I thought I read that it was safe. Does anyone else have problems? Maybe I should try and find the low-fat variety. I don't know if we have it here.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tofu new
      #170629 - 04/17/05 04:20 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

A lot of people have sensitivities to soy. You might be one of them. See if things like soy milk bother you too. If it does, there's your answer.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#170639 - 04/17/05 05:14 PM
Saje

Thanks. I haven't had soy milk for awhile and it was fine but I'll get some next time I'm out and see.

Another thing my bf just brought to my attention is that I put liquid smoke on the tofu and if that has msg that could have made me sick. Sound possible?

#170640 - 04/17/05 05:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Soy is sometimes a trigger for people. When I use soy it is ultra-lowfat or no-fat, and I find that helps. Soft tofu is easier to digest then extra-firm, and fermented soy seems to agree with me, but then it contains probiotic and live enzymes/cultures. Some people, though, are really sensitive to soy.

#170645 - 04/17/05 05:24 PM
Wind

Liquid smoke? Maybe it was a factor. Sometimes, spices/additives/preservatives/m.s.g./sodium? is a factor that could get you running. I'm not sure if liquid smoke contains m.s.g. It's pretty pork smelling, though--that B.B.Q. woodiness--intense on the nose. Honestly, I don't know. Have you had tofu prepared in this manner before? Was it cut up in an easy to assimilate fashion? Was it "greasy?" (i.e. consider fat content in prep.?) What else did you have with it? Liquid soy causes less gassiness. Was it a tofu product or just tofu? I'd make note of it, and check the ingredients of the liquid smoke. Have you had a reaction like this to liquid smoke before? Smoke seasoning is something I associated with bacon, which would really do a number on you.

#170673 - 04/17/05 06:59 PM
Saje

Well, I don't think anyone knows what liquid smoke is made of. It's not listed on the bottle and it doesn't say if it has msg either. I assumed it's safe-ish because so many vegans use it. It was baked firm tofu with garlic, soy sauce and liquid smoke. I used to make it all the time but now I'm reacting badly to it. I've been a vegetarian for five years so I've been eating tofu for awhile but the last few months (3 or 4?) it's been running right through.

#170928 - 04/18/05 01:29 PM
Wind

Maybe you need a little hiatus from tofu for awhile. I'm a vegan, and well, sometimes I take a hiatus from tofu for awhile because it "liquifies" to quickly for my comfort inside of my gut. I know if I start eating too many sprouted things on a regular basis the same thing happens. It's the whole thing about a little food rotation. It just sounds like you have a pattern happening with the tofu, so well maybe ease up on the soy consumption?

#171153 - 04/18/05 10:10 PM
Saje

that's a good idea Wind. I'll leave it for awhile. I am kind of thinking that it was the liquid smoke but ... not sure. I'm tired of tofu anyway. I'll freeze what I have left and leave it for a bit. Thanks

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 739

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review