All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just Looked At Heather's Receipes
      #170349 - 04/16/05 12:31 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Yes, they're all great, except for one problem, I'm a 21 year old male college student who doesn't know how to cook food. I will be eating out a lot, and when I do cook, I'm totally new to this. With this in mind, I'd like some advice on how I can have an Irritable Bowel Syndrome safe diet.
Are there any restaraunts, any chain restaraunts, I can eat at?
Subway? Unos? What?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just Looked At Heather's Receipes new
      #170360 - 04/16/05 01:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Search for:
subway
uno
restaurant
eating out
chilis
macaroni grill
outback

And just so you know, Board traffic will probably pick up on Monday.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#170361 - 04/16/05 01:34 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You can make turkey sandwiches at home. White bread, turkey breast cold meat, mayo, mustard and lettuce. Make your own safe meal. As for eating out, look for grilled chicken, rice, baked potatoes( no butter and sour cream!), cooked vegetables. Subway is fine if you choose chicken or turkey (with no cheese!). This will hopefully get you started.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#170368 - 04/16/05 02:14 PM
Volatile

I'm sure some of you have to go out to eat for lunch and dinner, can you give me examples of what you order and where your order from? Let me guess, no more pizza with this.

#170370 - 04/16/05 02:18 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

You can order pizza without the cheese. I know, that seems incredibly wrong. I have not tried it yet and don't know that I will.

Subway can be your friend. I do okay with Thai food. I also do okay with other Asian food provided they don't use MSG. (Most menus will say if they use MSG, and they can leave it out if you ask.)
You have my sympathies. I can't imagine having to deal with this when I was in college.

#170373 - 04/16/05 02:32 PM
Volatile

I'm actually really excited and happy right now, I know quite a change in attitude in the last 12 hours.
I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to eat out anymore, that I wouldn't be able to meet friends for food, but now it looks like when in doubt, I can always order a nice Turkey sandwich on white bread. That's such a relief that I can be social like this.

I'm surprised you can eat Thai food, isn't Thai food made with sauces that contain oil, fat, butter, insoulable fiber, and lactose?
What about Italian, Mexican, American, Chinese, and Indian food?

#170380 - 04/16/05 04:17 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I eat at Subway a lot with no problems. Actually, I eat out a lot very very few problems. Most places have chicken, so I can figure out something to eat.
Italian should be fine, bread rolls are good. Pasta is okay, just no cream sauces or red meat. One of my favourite dishes in pasta in tomato sauce with grilled chicken breast - very yummy. I make a lot of sauces using tomatoes, garlic, onions, mushrooms and spices and have never had any problems. You may have problems with too many garlic and onions, so just be careful with portions.

I can eat Greek food, just making sure that I ask for as small amount of oil is used as possible.

I eat Indian Food a lot as well. The rice and naan bread are good, and usually safe (check naan ingredients to make sure there is no milk) and I can order dishes without the creamy sauces. I usually eat Chicken Tikka and it's awesome.

I also do fine with sushi.

Chinese food you have to be careful about high-fat options, and MSG. Ask for no MSG.

I would suggest trying to find your way around a kitchen as well. I know lots of guys your age that can cook, so I'm sure you can figure it out. I know it is harder at college, but I am in college too so I know you can work it out. It will really be helpful if you can figure out how to cook some basic meals that you enjoy and are safe.

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#170497 - 04/16/05 11:23 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yeah, pizza is out. I've had cheeseless pizza (in fact, I've had cheeseless pizza almost twice a week for a few months now) and it's pretty good.

And if you have a kitchen, most of these recipes aren't too hard to make in a college dorm. I've tried it. And take a look at this thread of recipes which are easy to make in a college dorm: College Dorm

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#170500 - 04/16/05 11:28 PM
Volatile

How do you order cheeseless pizza, you just ask Pizza Hut for no cheese, how can you eat or make pizza this way, what about pizza that comes instead with soy cheese, is it fine.

#170502 - 04/16/05 11:31 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Let me clarify one thing here: I keep kosher, so I don't eat out in most of the big name restaurants. Most of the time, I eat in the Hillel. So I ask the cooks at the Hillel (which has the same status as a regular dining hall on campus) who make me the cheesless pizza.

I haven't tried soy cheese pizza, so I'll turn that over to the rest of the board members.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1471

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review