All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Prebiotic & Probiotic
      #170244 - 04/15/05 02:35 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I keep seeing reference to these. What are they? I have trie the search feature but just keep seeing references to them but no definitions!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prebiotic & Probiotic new
      #170280 - 04/15/05 07:58 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Probiotics (think acidophilus, for example) help restore the balance and production of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Prebiotics support the function of probiotics. Both are potentially a very good thing for IBS sufferers... and definitely something to try if you've been on antibiotics, which pretty much kill all the beneficial bacteria in your gut (yet another reason why antibiotics seem to "trigger" most of us).

Hope that helps a bit!

Re: Prebiotic & Probiotic - FiberChoice has both new
      #170340 - 04/16/05 11:52 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

FiberChoice chewable tablets have both Prebiotic and Probiotic in them. 2 chewables are equal 4 grams of fiber.

They have regular and Sugar Free. I do "not" buy sugar free. Hope this helps. It really works wonders in helping stay regular too. Heidi

Did they change the formula of FiberChoice recently? new
      #170471 - 04/16/05 09:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have a bottle of them here - that's my SFS of choice, when I remember to take it. It only has a prebiotic (inulin, which is also the SF source), not a probiotic. But my bottle is also a couple months old, so if they've changed the formula, that pretty much rocks. You'll have to tell me what the probiotic is that they put in it - acidophilus?

Re: Prebiotic & Probiotic new
      #170474 - 04/16/05 09:24 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

I could use some more explaining. I am totally confused, I don't know because I have bloating which probiotic to take and if I need a prebiotic.

Re: Prebiotic & Probiotic - new
      #173162 - 04/24/05 03:26 PM
Alicia T

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: York, Pa

I have been searching and not really understanding what these are. I know everybody talks about them often, but could you give me examples of what you take? Thanks so much!!!

--------------------
Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.
IBS-A, predominately D!!!

Did they change the formula of FiberChoice recently? Maybe!!! new
      #173243 - 04/24/05 07:52 PM
HeidnOut

When I went to the store the other day I noticed that the packaging on the outside had changed. It now has a glossy cover and states some of the facts all around the package. It's also coming out this Spring with a new fruit flavor. It comes in both Sugar Free (which I don't use) and regular FiberChoice. Every so often I peel off that insert that they have taped to the top of the bottle. On the last bottle before the new packaging, that is where I specifically read that it contains both a Prebiotic and a Probiotic. This caught my attention because I've been using this product for a year or more and never knew it had this in it. The new package does not have that insert taped to the top of the lid now. It was a foldable insert. Do you remember it? I'm trying to find my last one to see if I can somehow scan it so others can see what it said. At that time, I had never heard of a Probiotic.

I went on the Internet and typed in Fiberchoice Prebiotic and Probiotic and guess what? They have "my" statement from this board (you just have to search it out) on a website. They also have me on another website that I belong to with people like me who suffer Interstitial Cystitis. I told them too about this.

I tried going to their website and it could have been updated but it says nothing about either Pro or Prebiotic now. Maybe they have made some changes. I'm going to call them tomorrow to clarify and if it still states they it has both, I feel it's important for us people to know about it.

Check it out: Go into your main home page and type in fiberchoice probiotic and prebiotic. It should bring up Heathers page and another page that states part of the website with the word asiaco in it. Those 2 are what I wrote right after reading the taped insert. I think the insert I'm referring to was like a FAQ, however, I'm not finding that at all on their site.

That tells me if the packaging has changed, the ingredients to some degree could have too. Although it does state that it helps manage IBS, control weight, stabilize blood sugar levels, and lower cholesterol.

If I can just find that old insert that had info printed on both front and back side and was a small circular that was foldable, I could have it to back me up.

I'll keep you posted. Heidi

Re: Prebiotic & Probiotic - confused!!! new
      #173257 - 04/24/05 08:18 PM
HeidnOut

I too was confused up until recently. If my understanding is correct Prebiotics enhance what a Probiotic is supposed to do which is balance out natural Flora inside the intestinal tract. I've been reading that if you ever need to go on a prescription antibiotics, you need to take a Probiotic in order to avoid some of the possibilities of yeast infection and so on. The Prebiotic must be some type of a booster to kick it into effect.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to clue me in. I'm learning about this too as I go as I had never heard of these things when you work in the medical field. I do believe medications are necessary at times but can be overused and abused. I also believe that natural products used in conjunction with prescriptions can compliment each other.

Hope this helps! Heidi

Yeah that's about right! new
      #173290 - 04/24/05 09:57 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I kind of think of it as the prebiotic making the gut a nicer place for the probiotics to live.

How can I get a prebiotic.. new
      #173355 - 04/25/05 07:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

other than in acacia or Fiberchoice? I don't do well with SFS. Any other way to get a prebiotic?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1278

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review