All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Veggies Safe for Stir fries?
      #170160 - 04/15/05 11:04 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My husband request stir-fry for dinner tonight. I've been feeling really good the last few days (like a normal person, even. )and I don't really want to mess up feeling so good.

I'm pretty sure most of my favorite stir fry veggies are no-go IF. I know I'm okay with mushrooms and mushrooms and a little onion, but would ANY of these be safe: red or yellow pepper, water chestnuts, baby corn or bambo shoots? (Alas, I think I'll have to give up brocolli, my fave, for now at least.) What are some safe things that are good in stir fry?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Veggies Safe for Stir fries? new
      #170166 - 04/15/05 11:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I eat water chestnuts, sometimes they make me a little gassey. I also do green beans and even chick peas or regular peas in stir fries!! Not real tradional but yummy! Just be sure to have the stir over some white rice or rice noodles, that help "buffer" the insolubles!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#170167 - 04/15/05 11:13 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I think that red and yellow pepper are fine for me, so its water chesnuts, baby corn and bamboo shoots. I also use green beans sometimes, or zuchinni and squash is yummy in it too. oh and carrots.. cooked carrots are also fine.

--------------------

#170168 - 04/15/05 11:18 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Mmm. Stir-fry sounds so good. I've never had a problem with water chestnuts, baby corn, and thinly sliced (or diced) carrot sticks in stir-fry.

After being stable for a while, I was able to reintroduce broccoli (my fave veggie as well!) in small, well-cooked amounts. But I think it's a good idea that you're avoiding it for now.

Re: Oh yeah! Zucchini's great too! -nt- new
      #170170 - 04/15/05 11:19 AM
lalala

Re: Oh yeah! Zucchini's great too! -nt- new
      #170178 - 04/15/05 11:30 AM
madeline

Reged: 04/14/05
Loc: New Jersey

Hi,my name is Barbara and I can not figure out how to send a post without relplying to a message. I really need someone to talk to. I think I have IBS for 8 months and have been to 2 terrible doctors. I am now as of April, only eating one meal a day, at dinner, hoping it will stop me from using the bathroom during the day.I read some trigger foods that I eat on weekends, cake,cookies, so I better stop that!! Can I have come advice? I have never had diaharrea or constipation, just lots of gas and pain the second I eat something, when I used to need the bathroom during the day, it wasn't much, just can't do that when I am working. This is my first post,so, sorry if I sound dumb!! I just feel alone and have no one to talk to, even freinds and husband don't want to hear about it anymore. Thank you for listening. My e-mail address is barbarainjersey@hotmail.com if anyone wants to help. Thank you so much!!!! Barbara from New Jersey

Re: Post new
      #170179 - 04/15/05 11:36 AM
lalala

I'm sorry you're feeling so alone! However, this is a great place to get support and advice. To post click on the board you want to post in. So, click on "IBS Diet," this should take you to the list of posts within this board. Above the board, you'll see a lt blue bar. On the right side of the bar is the "Post" button. The rest is similar to replying. I hope this helps!

Madeline/Barbara, here's how you do it new
      #170180 - 04/15/05 11:43 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You're reading this reply, so right above the box this message is in, will be another box with choices: Previous, Index, Next, etc. Click on Index. That will take you back to the overview of the posts on the Board.

Once you get there, you'll see a box that says:

All Boards >>> Eating for IBS Diet Board, Post, Previous, etc.

Click on Post. This means you're posting a new message on the Board you're looking at. If you do that and call it something like "New Here, Please Help" you'll get lots of help.

If you still can't get this to work, post here again - I'll check it either later today or tomorrow.

And you don't sound dumb - you sound pretty much like everybody does when they first come here. Heather's diet has been great for me and the people on the Board are very, very helpful, both with practical stuff about the diet and with giving you a place to vent.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Post new
      #170181 - 04/15/05 11:44 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Be sure you are not currently "in" a particular thread because than the POST bottun won't show up. At the top of this board there are several permanent threads with lots of great info to get you started. After you read through that, than POST whatever questions you have and we will all be happy to help!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Barbara... I'm so glad you made it to the boards!! -nt- new
      #170182 - 04/15/05 11:45 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I'm confused new
      #170217 - 04/15/05 01:08 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Is broccoli to be avoided?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

it's a gas producer...nt. new
      #170226 - 04/15/05 01:20 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

nt

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I'm confused new
      #170236 - 04/15/05 01:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think that is a personal decision/choice. If something causes PAIN or discomfort or spasms, etc., I avoid it. For me, Broccoli is one of those things...if you're okay with it, by all means don't deny yourself it. Choice!!! It's DANGEROUS inside of me.

#170257 - 04/15/05 04:37 PM
Wind

Make sure everything is well chopped, and washed/peeled, and thoroughly cooked. I find that pepper skins really aggravate me, therefore I peel, or avoid. I personally would omit the corn. Do you handle sprouts okay? (bean, pea shoots, etc.) You can also pick out certain foods that you think might hassle you. How do you handle leafy greens? (Spinach, watercress?) Celery? Fennel? I love stir-fried
english cucumber--I slice it ultra paper thin in the food processor. Daikon? Snow peas? There are tons of awesome mushrooms out there that can really add flavour. I tummy mushrooms really well, personally. Sometimes precooking (i.e. steaming) a few really challenging veg. helps, too. I
like fennel (anise) and portabella mushroom with pea sprouts. Fennel tastes a lot like celery with a hint of licorice. It's spring, so also consider asparagus. It sits okay with me. Zucchini is quite likely to agree with you.
I've been known to toss papaya in a stir fry or even mango.

It's majorly IF... new
      #170531 - 04/17/05 04:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...so I have issues with it.

#170540 - 04/17/05 05:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The last time I made a stirfry, it was a chow mein sort of thing, and I used water chestnuts, celery, onion, garlic, and bean sprouts, and I was fine with all of those.

I've also made a sweet-and-sour kind of stirfry, and used carrots, water chestnuts, pea pods, mushrooms, tomatoes (thrown in at the last minute), bell peppers (I have to admit that I don't eat these, but that's because they give me indigestion, not IBS reasons), and pineapple. I was fine with all of that, too.

The only veggies I avoid are broccoli (because of the gas factor) and the baby corn, but I don't use the baby corn mostly because I don't think it tastes like anything, so I consider it a waste of space. It's so tender and soft, I think you could try it safely too.

Your experiences may vary, of course, but since you typically eat stirfries with a good quantity of rice, it's a good opportunity to safely experiment. Good luck!

#170577 - 04/17/05 11:55 AM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Wouldn't baby corn and corn be a good source of fiber, and stir fry cooked with oil would that have too much fat?

#170586 - 04/17/05 12:54 PM
Wind

You can stir-fry without oil. Veg./chicken/or beef broth is a great stir-fry fat replacer, and adds tons of flavour.

Re: corn/baby corn. Yes, it is a source of fiber. For those whose IBS is unstable, than it COULD cause problems, especially if you're D. Some people just have problems with corn!!! Safe meat is chicken breast/boneless skinless, shrimp, tofu, etc., i.e. LOW OR NO-FAT. It is up to the individual re: safe/risky veggies. Past experience can often influence choices, and also certain plants are notorious for causing gas/comfort/bloating, etc.

BUMP for Niclouise-nt- new
      #231233 - 12/13/05 10:43 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2178

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review