All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why is this diet so different for other IBS.....
      #169818 - 04/14/05 08:05 AM
ErinAmy

Reged: 04/14/05

I have several books on IBS, and they are all different, but Heathers is so different I don't understand! And what about the candida link? I thought all flour and sugar add to IBS triggers and contribute to IBS yeast overgrowth. I like Heathers book and am interested in trying it, I just wanted to see what other think before I go for it. I have IBS-C with gas, bloating, days of feeling sick and tired and lack of energy.
Thanks!
Erin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why is this diet so different for other IBS..... new
      #169856 - 04/14/05 09:10 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Everyone with IBS doesn't have issues with Candida. Unless your GI has specifically diagnosed with that problem and told you to leave off wheat and sugar, you will find this diet a godsend...especially the Acacia!! I'm a C, and am much improved since finding this site a year ago!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Why is this diet so different for other IBS..... new
      #169869 - 04/14/05 09:55 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've had great success on this diet. I'm IBS-D and I feel that I'm stable, that I have more control over my IBS. I think the difference is that Heather actually has IBS, so she understands what we're going through, what conventional medicine can and can't do, and how important diet is. Some of the other books (such as What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About IBS ) are too extreme, either against traditional medicine or against integrative medicine. Or they try to blame IBS on another problem, such as candida. My understanding is that candida and IBS are not related--if that were true, then everyone or a majority of people with IBS would have candida. I don't know many IBSers who do (but then I don't know that many IBSers outside of the boards). You may have candida IN ADDITION to IBS; however, they are still two separate issues.

Although you may eat what seems like a lot of bread during the "Breaking the Cycle" phase, this is meant to be short term. You're not just eating bread and crackers for the rest of your life! I've found the IBS diet well-rounded: it's based on SF but incorporates IF as well and encourages healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. Because taking a SFS, which works as a prebiotic, in addition to probiotics, is recommended, I believe the diet actually prevents candidiasis. If you commit to it, you'll find Heather's diet and approach a perfect balance.

I hope this helps! You'd probably get better information from someone who's been on the diet longer or who has IBS-C. There's a ton of information on the site as well as on the boards. I think once you read it, you'll really want to try it. Good luck!

Yeah, so need to separate out the separate issues! new
      #170027 - 04/15/05 12:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Candida is a separate issue to IBS, as is gluten intolerance, or bacterial overgrowth, or a parasitical infection. These are all things that should really be ruled out in getting an IBS diagnosis.

Note that you can have IBS AND one of the above (or more) and that they can impact on the IBS even tho it's a separate issue.

Heather's diet is designed for just IBS. So if you have candida as well, then you'll need to adapt the diet guidelines so you eat for that as well.

its different because it works... for those of us with true IBS... new
      #170056 - 04/15/05 05:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

candida is a different ailment and should be recognized as such and treated accordingly... People who blame IBS on candida don't know what they are talking about!

As to whether this is legit or not- I don't know but it works! I feel so much better and have for the first time in years made my tummy issues under control- mostly because of this diet... despite following every other diet I was given by a doc to a T, I never got better, in many cases (those based on IF) I got worse!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3841 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 617

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review