Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Augie - about osteoporosis new
      #171547 - 04/19/05 03:16 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Beth,

Check this web page . It mentions two medicines that can be injected. One seems to only stop new bone loss, but one, teriparatide, claims to help rebuild new bone. There are side effects, of course - bummer - but it might be worth talking to your doctor about.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: KateL new
      #171583 - 04/19/05 04:53 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Beth,
I understand about the meds for delayed gastric emptying and I agree about some of the side effects. I had one of them that also acts as an anti-nausea med for something unrelated and was unable to tolerate the side effects. I know stress definitely exacerbates my symptoms. Yoga has helped tremendously with that. I did have some problems related to my ED such as my teeth and a loose cardiac spincter(the flap from your esophagus to stomach). I used to have really bad heartburn. I believe the body is designed to heal itself in a very remarkable way. I haven't had heartburn for ages and thanks to a good dentist all the damage is repaired. My symptoms prior to the ED were basically gas and just not having a BM. I know when I was stressed even back then I would get that butterfly feeling in my stomach which is the same feeling I get today when stressed and makes me have D. Having an eating disorder is like living in a prison. I felt like I could never enjoy life while wrapped up in the ED. Being free from that is the greatest thing in the world. I don't worry about my weight or what I eat(other than things related to IBS)and food is not something used like a chemical anymore. I guess I don't feel bad anymore that I had an ED. I am greatful that I have recovered. It also helps with everyone being honest and open. You should be proud that you have overcome that part of your life.
I have to say also that I used to feel deprived about not eating all those things you mentioned but I recently watched a movie that changed my mind about certain foods. The movie is a documentary called 'supersize me' about a guy that eats McDonalds for a month straight. He is followed by a nutritionist and MD during the month and it is shown the results of some of these foods. It is kind of done in a humorous way so it was very enjoyable to watch. I hope this helps. Take care Kate

Re: Augie - about osteoporosis new
      #171587 - 04/19/05 05:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Thanks for the info. My grandmother uses Calcitonin spray, and it really decreases the pain. She's 84. With the spray, she's better able to go for short brief walks. I'm 30 and have Osteopenia. I was taking Didrocal, however, it was causing a lot of tummy upset (nausea, heartburn, vomitting). It's seriously constipating, too. I stopped taking it. I think I might suggest the Calcitonin spray the next time I see my M.D. Bone loss hurts.

Re: Augie - about osteoporosis new
      #171730 - 04/20/05 08:11 AM
Sand

Interesting. My Family Practitioner told me the spray didn't do much, but that was a few years ago. It sounds like they've improved it. I'll have to bring it up with her again. Thanks for the tip.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I also read that that the spray... new
      #171745 - 04/20/05 08:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

and injections for calcitonin only stop the progression and do not help build new bone which is what I desperately need. I also know there that the doctors are reluctant to give injections monthly or the spray as the pills are cheaper and most insurance co will not pay for the injections and/or spray.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Beth, did you see my earlier post to you in this thread? new
      #171759 - 04/20/05 08:51 AM
Sand

I referred you to a Website that talks about an injection that claims to rebuild bone. Even if your insurance company won't usually pay for it, try asking for an exemption since you can't take any of the oral stuff. It never hurts to ask. If your doctor will go to bat for you, you might have a chance at getting it reimbursed.

Good luck.

--------------------

Yes, I saw it! new
      #171765 - 04/20/05 08:58 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was just backing you up on your knowledge about calcitonin in particular. That I had heard the same thing.

And just FYI, my doc doesn't back me up about anything. I need a new one, but then he will not know my history and may try me again on the traditional meds as he could not "ethically" support arguing with an insurance company until he knows I cannot handle them. Plus, I find that doctors do not like to deal with insurance companies in general. I guess it's too much work for them to fight for their patients needs, so they don't!

Plus, my insurance company is stinky. I am fighting to get coverage for Pelvic Floor dysfunction physical therapy which they won't cover because biofeedback is not included. The insurance company says their hands are tied because it was the employers descion not to have that coverage for their employees. UGH. Why can't we be allowed to get the help and medications we need.

My morning rant!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Too bad, Beth. I thought it might be worth a try. -nt- new
      #171928 - 04/20/05 01:44 PM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2923 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review