Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Fishnets, what are your 4 digestive disorders? new
      #170755 - 04/18/05 05:50 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

What do you have besides IBS?

And I truly hope you are getting help for your bulimia. Your IBS will never get better until you are over that! It will only get worse as the years go on.

I also have GERD(acid reflux disease), Gastritis(chronic stomach inflammation), and a Hiatal Hernia(I purged my stomach into the wrong position ). All caused by my starving and purging. Yeah, having ED'd behaviors can make my IBS even worse which sucks. I'm trying though!

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, I was asking you! new
      #170772 - 04/18/05 06:30 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How were these other problems detected? What tests, etc.

And it is so worth it to not have to be a worried about starving and throwing up again. I had this for about 18 years. So, YOU CAN BEAT THIS!!! It is a demon of a problem, but the sooner you stop, the less damage that will have been done.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: For those who had Eating Disorders new
      #170783 - 04/18/05 07:25 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I recovered from my ED 15 years ago and I never want to be anorexic again.

I don't agree with your doctor about not having permanent problems from years of being anorexic. I work at a hosptial and a few months ago we had a 32 year old woman on my floor who weighed 63 lbs. She has multiply health issues from purging and not eating. The social worker on my floor found a facility that would accept her and we were encouraged to tell her she has one more chance to get better or she will die. I realize that sounds harsh, but sometimes that is what ED people need to hear.

When you abuse your body for years you mess with your metabolism, become defecient in minerals and vitaments that are essential for your body to function and your body draws energy from carbohydrates (fats), but when there is no fat your body takes it from your bones.

My suggestion is get another endoscopy to make sure there is no damge in your esophagus, because untreated erosion can lead to Barrett's Esophagus, which is precancer. If you haven't already your doctor should check to see if there has been any bone loss.

Remeber too you don't have to show any damage in your colon to be dx with IBS. You abused your body for years and it may take longer than the rest of us to have normalcy. Stick with Heather's diet and don't deny yourself food when your stomach hurts. I feel worse when I don't eat and sourdough bread is awesome on my bad stomach days.

Hang in there Beth!!!

Thanks Barbara new
      #170849 - 04/18/05 09:52 AM
Augie

I did have my dexa scan and it showed severe osteoporosis. I had my endoscopy done about 2 years ago, so you still think I should ask about another one? Everything looked okay, he said, and the Eating disorder was inactive about 6 months after that, I would say. Do you think some damage could have taken place in that time?

Also, do you think there will be healing and relief from the pain, constipation, and symptoms over time, and that I may just have to wait longer than others? Or do you think that this is just something I will need to accept as permanent pain and other yuckiness in my life?

I can't do sourdough bread because I eat GF, BTW. Do you still eat even when you are Constipated or in pain?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Barbara new
      #170877 - 04/18/05 11:16 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hi, I have been reading all your posts regarding eating disorders and I just wanted to relate. I suffered anorexia/bulimia for a good eight years and luckily have been free of them for ten years. I know prior to the ED I had a gassy stomach and some constipation. I also have a mother who has had IBS-D all her life. I have to say that my bowel problems have been much worse still since the ED. It frustrates me that there is so little support for this aspect of recovery because having all the pain and difficulty along with dealing with emotional issues does not help one recover successfully. I also work in a hospital and can recall a woman who suffered an eating disorder and her system was so screwed up she had a gastric tube just to release gas. I have to wonder if having an ED could cause something similiar to what diabetics suffer in which the stomach does not empty properly. I've had a colonoscopy and it was normal too and basically sent on my way. In other words,we have done all we can do for you now. So I don't know how this can help but it is nice to relate to others. Being out of the prison of an eating disorder with IBS is still better than having the ED. I can tell you too from my occupation that people with normal guts worry about their bowels too. Thanks KateL

I have delayed gastric emptying new
      #170881 - 04/18/05 11:31 AM
Augie

And when I looked up the possible causes on the internet, anorexia/bulimia was listed. A side effect is constipation, early satiety, and bloating.

I don't know if once you start eating normaly, it goes back to normal or not. I have eaten normally for a few years now, and still I have this.

I know with diabetics, the vagus nerve is the cause. Perhaps we have damaged our vagus nerve?

Kate, have you thought about getting some sort of gastric tube? Do you get any feedback as to whether our pain and symptoms are permanent? You have been ED free for 10 years and yet you still suffer. This depresses me. I was hoping that as time passed, my body would get used to the normal eating and would return to normal functioning without pain.

But after reading your post, it seems like I will have a lifetime of constant pain and constipation. That there is nothing I can do now to erase the past. This greatly depresses me. I am at a lose for words. So sad that this will be my life forever.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I have delayed gastric emptying new
      #170910 - 04/18/05 12:40 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Beth,
Please don't let my post make you feel bad. I didn't intend for it too. My symptoms are not constant and the life I have with IBS is definitely better than the life with an ED. Like I said I had a mother who has IBS so I can't say for sure if mine is from genetics,my ED or stress. I've also been told by my GI that I have an extra long colon. So who knows. I guess when I am having symptoms I just focus more on it. Please, please do not let it get you down. I am basically very happy other than this and being able to live normally(other than IBS issues) around food it the greatest gift after an ED. I think the medical establishment kind of throws up their hands at IBS and as you have heard womens issues(as this mostly is)are not funded in the research area as much as other medical issues. I think having people like Heather and all of us who are brutally honest about IBS will draw more attention to this issue. There is always hope. I would never have any sort of tube or surgery for this. This person I mentioned was a very extreme case and I believe had not recovered with the ED. I don't know how bad your delayed gastric emptying is but there are also certain medications that can help that. Also the IBS diet appears to be easier on the digestive tract. Please keep positive. KateL

#170955 - 04/18/05 02:49 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

No I don't think you need a endoscopy since you been eating alright. I'm sorry to hear about the osteoporosis and I hope your doctor is helping to keep it from getting worse.

Plus don't get so depressed about the C and pain. You are GF and I'm wondering if you are getting enough insoluble fiber. I am IBS-C, but once changing my diet over to Heather's suggestion I can eat and have a BM every two to three days. That is great for me, since I it use to be once every two weeks.

My guess your pain is coming from being too C and of course you don't want to eat. You need to figure out how to get your BM's moving, so you can increase your food intake, which will allow you to have regular BM's. Increase your water intake if you don't drink enough water. Excercise also helps get those BM's moving.

Do a search on IBS-C. There are alot of posts on this topic. You also should not accept pain for the rest of your life. You need to accept you had an ED, forgive yourself for abusing your body and move on. Stress plays a role in your IBS.

Yes I still eat when in pain and C, because heavy bread feels good on my stomach. I was dx 3 years ago and lived in daily pain and lost alot of weight from not eating. I told myself many years ago I would never go back to my ED days and the weight lost scared me.

Since you are GF try eating rice cakes with natural peanut butter on it. There are good tasting GF crackers you can eat too to help settle your stomach. Corn muffins are tasty too. It is fine to eat veggies, which are impt. insolube fiber to eat. Check the recipe board - there are plenty of soups full of veggies and filling. I love eating oatbran hot cereal in the mornings and that should be safe for you eat. Oats are soluble fiber and the bran is the insoluble fiber.

#171435 - 04/19/05 11:35 AM
Augie

It's hard to forgive myself for my Eating Disorder since I think most of my pain now may be caused by it. How can I forgive myself for doing this to myself?

I tried taking Actonel for osteoporosis but it tore my stomach apart! I don't know how to treat it without creating even more pain. I need to find a doctor who might know how. My OB is the one who is concerned.

Tell me how you eat to stop the pain and manage the constipation! Please. I would love some sample daily menus. Like, how many fruits and vegetables do you eat in a day? Do you eat brown rice over white? You could email me at deerbeth@yahoo.com if you would like. I need all the input I can get. Do you take Miralax or SFS or flax meal?

Please be honest with me. Do you think that there will always be pain and problems because of the long years of severe eating disorder? Please, just be frank with you? Or maybe over time it will lessen. I want an honest opinion, even if it is negative. I just want to know if I should give up trying to search for a pain relief and accept the fact that I will have the pain and symptoms.

Oatbran hot cereal is not gluten free, as oats are not allowed. Otherwise, the Oatbran would be my first choice!

Thanks Barbara

--------------------
~ Beth

KateL new
      #171449 - 04/19/05 11:58 AM
Augie

My mother has IBS-D also, but not everyday. Just sometimes. And my brothers also have "stomach problems". So, there is some family background as well.

Plus, I am a stress monster. Everything is hightened in stress level for me and I do not handle it well. Dealing with the pain and unanswered questions to my problem is the number one stress in my life. Ironic that the cause of stress creates more symptoms.

The medicines for delayed gastric emptying are horrid and didn't really help. My case is not too severe, thank goodness.

I just feel sad that for so many years I didn't eat the foods I loved like Pizza, french fries, anything chocolate or lasagna and yummy fattening italian foods. And now, once the ED is gone and I would gladly eat them, I can't because of this horrible IBS. I feel like I am being punished somehow. I made decisions not to eat the food, and now I can't eat. So, I will have spent almost my whole life having never been at peace with food. Not to mention the social gatherings that center around food. First I avoided them because I didn't want to eat, and now they usually never offer anything safe and gluten free for me.

I'm rambling. Thanks for your honest reply. I don't feel so alone now. And if you can help keep me reminded that there is life after an ED even though we have all the ramifications that resulted from it, I would be grateful.

BTW, can you tolerate a Soluble Fiber Supplement, like citrucel, benefiber, or acacia even though you have an extra long colon? I know Michelle has an extra long colon and she is unable to take any SFS because it just sits in her and clogs her up more. Can you take one to help the Constipation?

Oh, one more question. You say you haven't had the ED for ten years. Is your pain and symptoms any less severe now than they were 10 years ago? I had an Eating disorder for over twice as long as yours. A lot more time for permanent damage, I fear. And doctors just are unable to tell me what the permanent effects are from long term eating disorders one the person is no longer Eating Disordered. Please, just be honest and just tell me what you think I want to hear!

thanks for sharing your story and thoughts.

Lots of love

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review