All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Augie new
      #170112 - 04/15/05 09:02 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I battled anorexia off on on for over 20 years. My last bout with it was in 1999. Looking back...stress and anorexia seemed to go hand and hand for me. No eating would somehow make me feel like I was controlling my stress...makes no sense huh?

I am fine now and have no worries about being anorexic again but unexpected stress will throw my intestines into a "knot". Reducing refined sugar and yeast has helped me but I know my 100% cure will be total peace in my life. Is total peace something that I expect 100%? No...but with the grace of God I will lead the most peaceful life that I can.

My heart goes out to you...I know that you are struggling. Take ownership and press on to the cure...you can do it!

--------------------
"puffy"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Happy new
      #170139 - 04/15/05 10:04 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How long did it take you to not feel the hurt after eating after you stopped restricting?

And yes, it made perfect sense that not eating would help control stress. That's what my anorexia was all about. Not to look skinny, but to feel in control.

How much yeast/and or sugar do you allow yourself, btw? Is this a connection you found by trial and error? Do you limit fruits which contain sugar?

How did you find your cure? Doctors? And how long did it take?

Thanks for sharing your story. Not being alone is the best feeling and keeps me going...

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Ruchie, it's been... new
      #170163 - 04/15/05 11:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If there is permanent damage there is nothing you can do about it now.

I know I have permanent daage on a small scale from what I did to my bod. BUT I do not think of it. It doesn't help me to dweel on it.

I focus on learning ways to relax. On diet. On doing what I CAN do to get better instead of dwelling on what has been done.

NOT easy to do...but I know you can...and we're here to help! *hugs*

Sending you lots of love, peace of mind, and encouragement

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Happy new
      #170169 - 04/15/05 11:19 AM
puffybelly

The restricting was trial and error and then the occasional ignorance of cheating so I won't even hazard a guess.

I will tell you that within a week or two of limiting refined sugar to an occasional peppermint and diluted juice and yeast as much as possible, I felt much much better. I started baking spelt bread which I love...it has no yeast in it. I will have a grilled chicken sandwich every now and again when I am running around bun and all and suffer little.

It is all trial and error Augie...what works for one may or may not work for each other. I don't post an awful lot but I do read your posts and sometimes I worry that you are making yourself crazy trying everything. This is a frustrating malady to say the least.

Prayer is good too...I ask God daily to release my stress and to bringme peace. So far so good!

--------------------
"puffy"

as to "the cure" new
      #170173 - 04/15/05 11:24 AM
puffybelly

My doctor though well meaning put me on depakote as the side effects of depakote supposedly helps the IBS symptom. It was masking the effects of the IBS but no cure...then I learned that depakote was for skizophrenia. I am many things but I am not a schizophrenic!

I just chose to do the trial and error thing and work to identify my triggers. I am pretty disciplined and I do believe that is what it takes.

I am able to go to people's hosues and eat and I eat at restaurants. I just choose wisely and occasionally to combinations are a little strange but I don't care as long as I don't relapse.

I am suffering a bit right now as I had some "unexpected stress" last weekend that upset me greatly and I suspect the glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin I take for my knee's is causing me to cramp a bit. I am patiently waiting for this episode to pass and look forward to being back to normal soon!

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Ruchie, it's been... new
      #170188 - 04/15/05 12:13 PM
Augie

I know I can't do anything about any permanent damage now. But I am still curious to know if and how much of this is all a result from the ED so that I know that this is something that is not "fixable" and I can stop searching for relief or other possible causes. And learning to try and live with the pain and symptoms.

Thanks for your hugs, love, and encouragement. I'm so glad you're back.

--------------------
~ Beth

Yes! new
      #170189 - 04/15/05 12:18 PM
Augie

I am trying to do everyone elses diet which, of course, is impossible. I'm trying to "copy" everything from everyone who has found relief. And driving myself bonkers because everyone is so different, even though we all have the same diagnosis.

It boggles my mind how some can eat yeast, fruits with peels, brown rice, yet others cannot do these at all. It would sure make this a whole lot easier if we could all have the same diet triggers.

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie, me too... new
      #170263 - 04/15/05 05:04 PM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

and I think there's a lot of hope for us ED'ers. I was intermittently bulimic (throwing up, not laxatives) for over 20 years...but have had no episodes for the last 15. Yes, I have IBS, although I didn't realize it until recently. But I think the key to healing is staying on the diet, avoiding ED episodes (easier said than done, I know!) and giving our insides - and our psyches! - time to heal. I believe that the same reactions to life situations that caused us to have eating disorders (perfectionist, striving, etc) promote IBS...maybe as much or more than any trauma to the gut! I think my IBS is milder than some because it's been so long since I've been bulimic, and I've developed a good attitude about myself and my life. My IBS flaired up in the last year because I was in a stressful situation that caused me to doubt myself again. Now, it's getting under control.

So, take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, and hang in there! It sounds like things are tough now, but they'll get better.

-Sue

Re: Hi Mary new
      #170291 - 04/15/05 09:05 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Hi Beth,

Since my IBS seems to get worse over time, I think I probably did some damage. The docs never have answers when it comes to will it get better or go away? they can't see damage-but look at me-IBS is functional-so it doesn't show up on tests. It is the only conclusion I can come to.

Now the connectin-I don't know which came first the ED or the IBS. I know I could never stand anything tight around my ab area and would feel fat. Could that have been the IBS/Celiac which pushed me over the edge into ED? I sometimes wonder. Or did my neuroticness push me into the ED that caused the IBS?

I have been miserable one way or the other since I can remember. I guess you hit the nail on the head-when I was so thin my tummy was concave and my bones showed. Now I feel puffy. Again the IBS bloating and fullness aggrivates the ED personality about fatness-I dn't think I will ever recover from that. I eat right and don't starve myself anymore, but the emotional stress surrounding my body never seems to go away. And I gain no matter what too-I can't figure that out and it is really frustrsting me. Do you think it is age? I didn't think it made that much of a difference this fast.

My email merinnj@aol.com.

Thanks for the note and I will contact you. Seems like we are walking similar paths. As far as SFS-I do benefiber when I can handle it. Right now my work travel schedule messed me up big time and I am paying for indulging. I think I just wanted to just have fun for a change and be like everyone else.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Re: For those who had Eating Disorders new
      #170379 - 04/16/05 04:17 PM
satree

Reged: 02/20/05

Ihave Ibs-c, I think a huge part of mine was laxi abuse... not to mention the long fasts I would go on.... I am also allergic to dairy, and peanuts... deprivation causes intolerance... I'm 21 and I have to take alot of meds, I keep almost relapsing back into ed but for now I am ok... but that's just life... cya

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review