All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need help with stool softeners
      #169538 - 04/13/05 09:43 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I'm IBS C & already take a SFS & Probiotic but still seem to have trouble going. I ALWAYS feel like I've gotta go but each time I try, I have to push & only a very little comes out. I'm thinking that maybe I need a stool softener. I tried going to the drug store but every bottle I found, said that it was a laxative. I don't want a laxative, I'm terrified of becoming dependent on them. Can anyone suggest a brand & dosage that could help. I tried doing a seach & found people recommending docusate sodium but when I saw that product in the store it said it was a laxative. Now I'm confused.
thanks for your help folks.
Meryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need help with stool softeners new
      #169581 - 04/13/05 11:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Peri-colace is what you want. I'm not sure if it uses the word laxative on the bottle or not but it IS ok to take on a daily basis. It will not make your colon dependant on it like regular laxatives. My mom has taken peri-colace for years. She usually takes 2 in the am and 2 in the pm but does go up to 8 sometimes when the C gets real bad. If you looked at fiber-con and other SFS, they also say they are "laxatives."

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#169603 - 04/13/05 12:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

They're only in the LAXATIVE department, but they don't act as traditional laxatives. SF supplements are in the same aisle/section. Gas pills, antacids...They help soften HARD stools. Do they work? Only when you take at least half a dozen, and with LOTS OF WATER. They don't dehydrate you or minerally deplete you. My M.D. even prescribes them for me, but they are cheap.

#170005 - 04/14/05 09:47 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Peri-colace is what you want. I'm not sure if it uses the word laxative on the bottle or not but it IS ok to take on a daily basis. It will not make your colon dependant on it like regular laxatives. My mom has taken peri-colace for years. She usually takes 2 in the am and 2 in the pm but does go up to 8 sometimes when the C gets real bad. If you looked at fiber-con and other SFS, they also say they are "laxatives."

No actually Peri-Colace IS the stimulant kind, it's regular Colace that is just a stool softener. So make sure it says just plain Colace on the bottle.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 626 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 473

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review