All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How long does it last?
      #16945 - 08/11/03 09:20 AM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

My goodness, this "flareup" has been lasting about 1 week, and still going...
I've been put on Dicetel, anyone else had this?
It doesn't seem to work.
I've also tried Camomile pills, they help a bit..
Any ideas?
I'm tryign to stay away from Milk.
My legs hurt as well....in the thigh areas.
I"m just tryign to get ont rack, my hubby and I are going camping in 1 1/2 weeks, and I just don't want to be a burden having to use the toilet all the time.
Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How long does it last? new
      #16948 - 08/11/03 09:26 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Maybe you should try Breaking the Cycle.

And definitely kick the dairy.

Hope you're feeling better in time for your trip. What type of symptoms do you have anyway? Are you IBS-C or D?

#16949 - 08/11/03 09:30 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I was put on Dicetol as well. It actually made my attacks worse it seemed.

Right now I take no pills at all.

When I first started the diet I had terrible body aches as well. I wrote Heather directly and she said that's not normal. Maybe you should do that too and she can help you a little more.

Hope you are feeling better. I would definately get rid of the Dicetol - and see if you start feeling better...

I assume you are from Canada (because you are on Dicetol)?

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#16952 - 08/11/03 09:35 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

First, I think you're a bit nervous about the camping trip.
Camping is a good thing to do for us with IBS, a toilet behind every bush. Read shawnerics "how to crap in the woods" in the living room and why don't you show it to your husband - it does not feel so bad when you can joke about it - read my "feeling embarassed" on this board.

If you have a hard time to stay away from milk you should try oatmilk. See www.oatly.com.

Have you tried Imodium?

Good luck!

Fia

#16967 - 08/11/03 12:00 PM

Unregistered

My doctor had put me on Dicetel (the higher dosage) and it didn't help me. It made my intestines feel as is they were being twisted!

Later I was put on a lower dosage of Dicetel. The doctor said that often the lower dosage works better. Crazy huh?
The same time the doctor gave me Apo-Chlorax to take 4 times a day with the Dicetel. You take them 20 mins before you eat and one before bedtime. Nothing has ever worked so well for me in my life!!!

I have IBS-d.

One of the side effects to watch out for with the Apo-Chlorax is that it can make you not be able to urinate well. That doesn't happen to everyone but it did happen to me.

It seems to work well for others and is great!!

My attacks can last a long time also. I make sure I start to take my meds and go back to a very simple diet. If it's IBS-d I take one immodium a day for a couple of days till things calm down or I just eat the basics like the B.R.A.T. diet. (bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast).

Good luck

#16978 - 08/11/03 01:55 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Boy, I was just about to post a similar question. I am primarily IBS-C, but when I have attacks I go back and forth between C and D, have a lot of pain and bloating, and just generally feel awful. I also get aches and pains in my legs, particularly the back of my upper thighs.

My latest bout has lasted over a month. I just about think I'm feeling a little better, then it gets worse again. I am trying to be really careful with my diet, so I'm thinking at this point there's a trigger that I'm not aware of. Have you tried systematically eliminating one food at a time for a period of time, then adding it back in to see if it makes you worse? I am working through this with some suspect foods. Takes some time though.

I really sympathize with you getting ready to go on a camping trip! It's easy to start feeling really anxious about traveling when you don't feel well. I am planning to go back to school full-time starting next week (I haven't done this in 20 years!). I have to commute a good distance to school and be on campus for 8-10 hours 2-3 days per week. I'm a little freaked that I'm not going to feel well enough.

So I just keep telling myself "There are restrooms everywhere, you can tolerate the discomfort, you will be okay..." etc.

#17026 - 08/12/03 08:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Lana Marie,

You mentioned body aches and talking to Heather. Did you feel achey all the time, like you had a fever or something? Was that the kind of achey it was? I'm curious because I get this way...and I didn't know who to speak to about it...thanks for your help!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#17035 - 08/12/03 09:30 AM
Lana_Marie

Hi Ruchie!

The first, about 10 days or so, my body hurt so bad. My ENTIRE BODY! It was beyond fatigue or anything I had ever felt before. She said that was not normal and that I wasn't drinking enough water or following the diet close enough.

At the very start I just dropped all the food I couldn't eat and ate barely anything except chicken and rice which is fine, but I don't think I was eating enough or drinking enough water.

I also used to get terrible stomach pains. So bad - I would be doubled over and unable to walk or move. I have since learnt that is a sign of dehydration for me.

As soon as I feel the pain coming on, I force myself to drink a ton of water. It usually nips it in the bud.

Do you drink enough water in a day! I have gotten a water cooler at home. And because we rent it it reminds me to drink my water so I am not wasting my money LOL. Nice little trick I have to play on myself.

What kind of body aches do you have? From fatigue or maybe lack of something?

Please keep me posted - I hope you can see what will make this go away....

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#17045 - 08/12/03 10:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

It sounds like dehydration to me!

I try to drink...I really do! I even bought a fancy water bottle--whcih I LOVE! I don't know why...but I still don't seem to drink enough!

Any suggestions?

I guess I just gotta do it!

Thanks for your help!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#17048 - 08/12/03 10:38 AM
Lana_Marie

This sounds really dumb - but before I was diagnosed I never drank water. And I mean never. I hate the tastelessness of it!!!

So when I was told to drink lots of water - I was like OH OH. So I just set my watch and every hour I forced myself to drink and entire 8oz glass of water.

Eventually I would crave it and not have to go off my watch.

Just a suggestion - good luck!

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#17135 - 08/12/03 11:24 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hi there--

I find that I am thirsty all the time and am constantly trying to make sure that I am drinking enough water. I don't have a fancy water bottle, but over time as I have bought bottled water at the store, I save the bottles and just rinse them out and refill them and store them in the fridge. I then make sure that I always have one by my side. (Cold doesn't bother me) If it is there, I will drink it, if it is not there, I tend to forget.

I know from your other posts that your life is a little hectic right now with moving and such, but maybe if you make yourself keep your water by your side, you will get into the habit of drinking. And FYI--headaches, fatigue, nausea and lethargy are all very common with even very mild dehydration. So, drink up !

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#17154 - 08/13/03 08:15 AM
Lana_Marie

I agree with Josie!

I even got into the habit of carrying my water bottle with me in my purse. LOL.

My husband always laughs because we will go anywhere and he would say: Are you allowed to be drinking that in here!
Men are so adorable LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1905 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review