All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A few questions -- Paxil, safe foods, kava?
      #169392 - 04/12/05 08:00 PM
feverdream

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: California

Hello all

I just wanted to say a few things... I started doing the diet in January, and it was around the same time I started taking paxil for anxiety (12.5 mg) . My IBS didn't go completely away but it got A LOT better. About two or three weeks ago I went off paxil because it was basically killing my personality... (exhausted, depressed, dizzy, apathetic) .

As of about a week or two ago my IBS seems to be coming back... not as much as before, but I feel so discouraged because I'm starting to think it was just the medication that helped and not the diet as much .. I think it helps, but I know that my IBS is really responsive just to stress/anxiety, and I HATE that... so recently, someone suggested kava to me (I have it in the tea form) which basically is an herb that's used for stress and axiety but it basically functions like a muscle relaxer. You aren't supposed to take it all the time though, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of/used this?

Second totally random question: are artichokes a safe food? (as in, just inside of the leaves you eat when you steam them)

Thanks
lindsay

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

An answer new
      #169431 - 04/13/05 04:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If your IBS is very anxiety linked, then not controlling the anxiety can mean that you'll never get the IBS completely under control. BUT, there are lots of alternatives to the meds...hypno, yoga, etc that should all help this situation (and help with the IBS anyway).

Also...be extra careful about the diet and other triggers while wou're having this iffy period! I know that if I'm stressed/tired, I have to be super careful to not be ill, whereas if I'm a happy bunny generally, I can play around with food alot more.

Re: A few questions -- Paxil, safe foods, kava? new
      #169497 - 04/13/05 07:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You might want to search the Board for "kava". I did and got a handful of results, most of which seemed to be dire warnings about "kava kava" - I assume it's the same thing. I don't have any experience with it personally - sorry.

I pretty sure artichoke hearts are insoluble, so I assume those little fleshy parts of the leaves are, too. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

It's possible going off the Paxil is de-stabilizing your IBS, but give your body some time to adjust. It took me over a month to stop feeling side effects when I stopped taking Elavil.

For me, Heather's diet helps just as much as the ADs ever did, but I still have trouble in stressful situations. I'm in a position where those situations don't come up too often, so I'm lucky that way. If your IBS just won't settle down after a reasonable period off the Paxil, there are other ADs out there you can try; some people seem to have good luck with one or the other. There are also anti-anxiety meds - I don't know much about them. And there's yoga, Tai Chi, Qijong, hypnotherapy, even accupuncture/accupressure. Even simple chamomile tea is said to be calming.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yes, KavaKava is dangerous new
      #169503 - 04/13/05 08:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have read many reports on this herb and there is a big warning not to take this! Better off with Passion Flower which is a safe herb alternative.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#169655 - 04/13/05 03:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As for the Paxil: Here's my story. I had terrible IBS until I went on Paxil. Then it totally went away. I have an anxiety disorder too (OCD). Now I'm on effexor and my IBS is again nonexistent. Treat the anxiety disorder = treat the IBS for me. At least that's the way it was for me. I have now realized the not food, but stress and anxiety are my biggest triggers. I would suggest you and your Doc try another med. Paxil is famous for its side effects. It usually takes several tries to get on the right med at the right dose. I would ask to try another one. Not every med works for every person - it's a personal sort of thing. Go back to your Doc, and try to keep the anxiety in check. It'll likely improve your IBS symptoms.

Diet is also a critical part, don't ignore that. I would stick with the diet (it's the best there is for us all), and try another med.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#169659 - 04/13/05 03:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Before taking kava kava I would speak with a physician...esp. if you are taking meds/herbs along with it. Be sure it does not make you sleepy before driving or lifting heavy objects after use.

Ifyou're question is...is kava kava ok for IBS...I don't know the answer.

Good questions!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Yes, KavaKava is dangerous new
      #169663 - 04/13/05 03:21 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Here, Here - kava kava can cause serious if not lethal problems to your liver. Stay away please!!!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review